internet to local number remote connect XP pro

I'm looking for the software utility. that will let me connect to my xp pro
machine through its modem by dialing the land line number it is connected to,
but dial that number from a computer(diff windows os but no earlier than 98)
with a broad band connection. Not modem to modem

or am i going about this all the wrong way.

I don't want to leave the xppro machine connected to internet through a dial
up connection. just pick up and let me run remote desktop when I want.

all help apprecaited.

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about internet local number remote connect

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:05:02 -0800, rock2p
    <rock2p@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I'm looking for the software utility. that will let me connect to my xp pro
    >machine through its modem by dialing the land line number it is connected to,
    >but dial that number from a computer(diff windows os but no earlier than 98)
    >with a broad band connection. Not modem to modem
    >
    >or am i going about this all the wrong way.
    >
    >I don't want to leave the xppro machine connected to internet through a dial
    >up connection. just pick up and let me run remote desktop when I want.
    >
    >all help apprecaited.
    >
    >Thanks
    Let me get this right. You want to internet connect to a XPpro
    computer that is disconnected from the internet?
    How is this computer to know someone wants it on line NOW?

    PC Anywhere can do Modem-modem, TCP/IP to TCP/IP and a bunch of
    others.
    The kicker is that both ends need to use the same method of
    connection. You can use a DSL connection to connect a Modem CONNECTED
    using PPOE *IF* you know it's IP address. Notice, I said *connected*.

    I guess you could use some convoluted scheme where you placed a modem
    cal that fired off a "connect to the internet" session as soon as the
    call terminated, allowing a cheaper? IP connection to be established.

    Sounds fragile to me.
    SU
    , _
    , | \ MKA: Steve Urbach