Logitech QuickCam Laptop Pro not full-screen?!?!

After reading some reviews, I bought a Logitech QuickCam Laptop Pro. I
need to hook it up to my laptop so I can do full-screen demos to small
audiences in conference room. The cameras maximum video resolution is
640x480, which should be adequate for my needs. After installing and
running the software, I was shocked that it doesn't actually display at
640x480 while viewing, but rather in a small, unresizable window. It
doesn't do full-screen, either. I thought this would be such a basic
feature, I didn't bother checking for it.

So, I'm still looking for a usb camera that can do full-screen viewing.
I've been scouring the web, but have only found a few. I'm hoping to
spend $100 or less.

Or, if there's a third party app that would allow me to use the
QuickCam in full screen mode, I'd be interested in that.

I did see at logitech.com the Communicate STX which is listed as having
full-screen capabalities. Though, I got the sense from the site that
it's an older, possibly obsolete model.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Rich

After reading through the help literature, I see that I can increase
the size of the small preview window when the capture size is 640x480
or greater by going to the "Options > Window Tab" and clicking "Resize"
-- but there is not "Window Tab"!!! Only a "Preview" and "Album" tab.
Neither of which have the "Resize" button. Jees.

Rich

> Most likely the small window you are seeing is just live preview.
Have you
> tried capturing video and playback for "full screen". Please note
that in
> the world of video "full screen" 4:3 non-DV is 640x480.

Thanks for the suggestion. You're right, it is a live preview, which
is what I need, though only at 640x480. I'm sure it plays back at
640x480, but it doesn't help me since I need the preview at that size,
instead of 320x240, which it maxes out at now. :(

Basically, what I'm trying to do is appoximate an Elmo, so I can use my
laptop and $100 video camera to enlarge what I'm doing for a small
audience.

--
Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions

Digital Video Solutions wrote:
> Ok, maybe I am missing something. If you are doing this broadcast
"live" for
> an audience why is it necessary to see a full 640x480 preview?

I have a Palm App that I present to small groups. Because the Palm's
screen is so small, it doesn't work to have people hovered around the
Palm watching what I do. Even when I'm presenting to only two people,
it's a tough format.

So, I need to project the Palm onto a screen so people can watch the
screen more comfortably. I've done this with a room full of people
using an Elmo and it works quite well, but I can't afford an Elmo. So
I'm trying to aproximate one by using a Web Cam. I put point the
camera to the Palm and what I'm doing can be viewed on the laptop.

I gave a presentation yesterday doing this with the Logiteck QuickCam.
With the 320x240 preview, it was worked okay, but I really need the
640x480 preview.

Since it's not looking like the Logitech can do this, I'm going to
start another thread looking for an alternative.

Rich

Ok, maybe I am missing something. If you are doing this broadcast "live" for
an audience why is it necessary to see a full 640x480 preview? You can't
spend the entire time watching the preview window during your presentation,
and quite frankly you should not be concerned with the preview window at all
in favor of concentrating on you presentation - which by the way, may look
sort of stilted if you are continually gazing at the preview window.

Do a little test. Look at the camera while doing the presentation while
concentrating on not looking at the preview window. Then do the same
presentation and continually look toward the preview window. You will notice
how your head and eyes are lowered or raised according to the position of
the preview screen. Not exactly the best way to make the audience feel you
are concentrating on them, which is what is conveyed by looking at the
camera and not the monitor.

If it's the perimeter of your shot you are concerned with set some markers
for maximum outside edges of the camera view, set the distance of the camera
and go to it. Obviously this is going to be a static camera set if this is
going out to an audience for viewing, and there will be no movements other
than those made by you.

So, in light of this why so much concern with the size of this live preview
window? Do the presentation without concern of what you see, and do so
within a set perimeter of the camera view that suits the production. Your
view of yourself is not as important as that of your intended audience.