Closed

Viewing offline files in their folders

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Dear helpful people,

I am hoping that this is an easy problem to solve and just something obvious
I am overlooking.

I have setup a folder on a XP Pro laptop to Synchronize a directory on a
2003 server so that I can work on the files off line and merge the changes
when I am back in the office.

The only problem I have is that the list of offline files when I am offline
is all in the one directory and does not reflect the directory structure of
the remote folder.

Is there a way to display the files in their subdirectory or should I be
doing this another way? Like with briefcase maybe?

Thanks In Advance
Jez
3 answers Last reply
More about viewing offline files folders
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Balther wrote:
    > Dear helpful people,
    >
    > I am hoping that this is an easy problem to solve and just something
    > obvious I am overlooking.
    >
    > I have setup a folder on a XP Pro laptop to Synchronize a directory
    > on a 2003 server so that I can work on the files off line and merge
    > the changes when I am back in the office.
    >
    > The only problem I have is that the list of offline files when I am
    > offline is all in the one directory and does not reflect the
    > directory structure of the remote folder.
    >
    > Is there a way to display the files in their subdirectory or should I
    > be doing this another way? Like with briefcase maybe?
    >
    > Thanks In Advance

    Look in Windows Explorer at the original path (e.g., mapped drive) while
    offline. Your folder structure will be intact. Don't look at the offline
    files cache itself.

    I myself prefer to use the solution at www.centered.com .
    > Jez
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    You can do that, or use alternative methods like ZIP folders.

    Is it possible to copy across the directories from the server? Or do they
    have other files in them?

    HTH

    --
    "Balther" <jeremy@bmx-shop.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Dear helpful people,
    >
    > I am hoping that this is an easy problem to solve and just something
    > obvious I am overlooking.
    >
    > I have setup a folder on a XP Pro laptop to Synchronize a directory on a
    > 2003 server so that I can work on the files off line and merge the changes
    > when I am back in the office.
    >
    > The only problem I have is that the list of offline files when I am
    > offline is all in the one directory and does not reflect the directory
    > structure of the remote folder.
    >
    > Is there a way to display the files in their subdirectory or should I be
    > doing this another way? Like with briefcase maybe?
    >
    > Thanks In Advance
    > Jez

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    The problem is that I use my office PC normally and just use my laptop when
    I am away, I was using synchronize in order to make sure that any changes
    may to the files were correctly reflected on the network drive, there are
    alot of files and directories and it would be impossible to manually
    remember to copy from/to the laptop/server the ones that were changed.

    Jez

    "Jason Marshall" <services_admin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You can do that, or use alternative methods like ZIP folders.
    >
    > Is it possible to copy across the directories from the server? Or do they
    > have other files in them?
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > --
    > "Balther" <jeremy@bmx-shop.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Dear helpful people,
    >>
    >> I am hoping that this is an easy problem to solve and just something
    >> obvious I am overlooking.
    >>
    >> I have setup a folder on a XP Pro laptop to Synchronize a directory on a
    >> 2003 server so that I can work on the files off line and merge the
    >> changes when I am back in the office.
    >>
    >> The only problem I have is that the list of offline files when I am
    >> offline is all in the one directory and does not reflect the directory
    >> structure of the remote folder.
    >>
    >> Is there a way to display the files in their subdirectory or should I be
    >> doing this another way? Like with briefcase maybe?
    >>
    >> Thanks In Advance
    >> Jez

Microsoft Windows XP