dIvX - what can be recordered?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Can chapters and stereo or AC3 sound be included when creating a DivX
video.
Also is it possible to add sub titles to the video and save as DivX?

Regards Brian

On a sunny day (Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:10:22 +1300) it happened Brian
<bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in <loj431h70fiv8em9bas1m7jtf4tuc1e4r9@4ax.com>:

>Can chapters
NO not yet anyways, DivX 6 is delayed to april?

> and stereo
YES

>or AC3
YES

>sound be included when creating a DivX
>video.

>Also is it possible to add sub titles to the video and save as DivX?
Yes, as a separate textfile, for example .srt format, that DivX capable
standalone players will play, or embedded of cause.

It is not a bitmapped system like DVD.

"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On a sunny day (Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:10:22 +1300) it happened Brian
> <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in <loj431h70fiv8em9bas1m7jtf4tuc1e4r9@4ax.com>:
>
>>Can chapters
> NO not yet anyways, DivX 6 is delayed to april?
>
>> and stereo
> YES
>
>>or AC3
> YES
>
>>sound be included when creating a DivX
>>video.
>
>>Also is it possible to add sub titles to the video and save as DivX?
> Yes, as a separate textfile, for example .srt format, that DivX capable
> standalone players will play, or embedded of cause.
>
> It is not a bitmapped system like DVD.

What do you mean by this last sentence?

On a sunny day (Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:33:37 -0800) it happened "Alpha"
<logos1@trip.net> wrote in <1136ri7fekech13@corp.supernews.com>:

>>>Also is it possible to add sub titles to the video and save as DivX?
>> Yes, as a separate textfile, for example .srt format, that DivX capable
>> standalone players will play, or embedded of cause.
>>
>> It is not a bitmapped system like DVD.
>
>What do you mean by this last sentence?
In DVD subtitles, the subtitles are actually pictures (bitmaps),
see this for example:
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/dvd/frame40884.bmp

The black area is made transparent in the picture.

There is a limited 'palette' and only 4 'colors' can be selected at any time
from that palette (one will normally be an dark 'outline' to make white text
visible in white areas).

I do not know how the new DivX6 subtitles will work.
A clear advantage of bitmaps is that you can have any character set supported.

A .srt text file subtitle format looks simply like this:

1
00:05:01,760 --> 00:05:04,160
Van de hele wereld bevolking

2
00:05:04,160 --> 00:05:07,360
zullen relatief maar heel weinig mensen horen over die leraar

How the text is displayed (in what font, fontsize, and color) is
set by the player itself.
So you have full control (if the player allows).

When you have 'embedded subs' you select a subtitle font, color, and size
and render the subs permanently in the movie.
You have full control over how it looks (better then bitmaps and you can
make any color), but the user cannot switch the subtitles off.
This I have solved in some cases by supplying a version with and one without
subs on the same disk.

Jan Panteltje wrote:

> >> Yes, as a separate textfile, for example .srt format, that DivX capable
> >> standalone players will play, or embedded of cause.
> >>
> >> It is not a bitmapped system like DVD.
> >
> >What do you mean by this last sentence?
> In DVD subtitles, the subtitles are actually pictures (bitmaps),
> see this for example:
> http://panteltje.com/panteltje/dvd/frame40884.bmp
>
> The black area is made transparent in the picture.
>
> There is a limited 'palette' and only 4 'colors' can be selected at any time
> from that palette (one will normally be an dark 'outline' to make white text
> visible in white areas).
>
> I do not know how the new DivX6 subtitles will work.

They will also be bitmaps (i think the format is called xsub). Info can
be found at their website (or doom9.org).

Wilbert

TRENDING THREADS