Windows 7 for college students HELP!

creepa

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Hi im a student in college an i have a question regarding the windows 7 college student deal. i have a .edu email adress the only problem im having is i want to use the windows 7 deal for my new pc build i was wondering where to go to get it shipped to my house. also will this upgrade work on a new pc build or does it have to be a oem disk

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
The student college deal usually is a download only. You can have the disks shipped to you for like $13~ more.

The upgrade version of Windows 7 will not work on a blank harddrive.

Blank hard drive means no windows operating system. You need to have a previous Windows version (Xp or Vista) to do an upgrade and it's key must be genuine..

You can try talking with Microsoft via phone, and see if they can sell you the retail version for the student price of $30~.

ngom52

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
I disagree: I copied the installation files to my thumbdrive, set it as the first boot device, and from there I wiped clean my hard drive before installing W7. It worked without a hitch

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Did you wipe your hard drive clean then run the W7 setup from the boot device, or did you wipe the hard drive clean while in the W7. Windows 7 upgrade will let you format the hard drive during the setup, but it does a check prior to that to make sure you have a previous windows version. If it does not check, then you didn't get an upgrade version. You can disagree all you'd like but there is no getting past this without boot folder edits of the W7 upgrade copy.

If you put the windows 7 upgrade on a blank hard drive, it will not let you install it unless it notices a Windows version (XP/Vista or 7 sometimes).

scatrdfew

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009

This guy is wrong. I've copied the upgrade files to a flash drive, copied over bootsect from a bootable copy of the RC and It'll do clean install on a drive, no problem. Make like a college student and do some research...

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Yeah after you modify the Upgrade bootsect files. This has been already made into a guide (W7 upgrade to full version) , and it is in fact breaking the EULA. The modification (changing of files, editing of code etc) the upgrade files in anyway breaks the EULA and is also subject to copyright infringement laws in the USA(for modifying a software to make use of it in a way not directed by the company, even if it is for personal use).

Make like a college student, and do YOUR research.

I am not going to post guides or advice that is partially risk taking for the user requiring the advice. The upgrade version has clear term's, follow them or take the risk that is up to you (just don't go advising people to take the risky path without warning them). While yes the risk of getting caught are virtually non existent, it is professional etiquette to warn individuals or not post such advice at all.

boldgamer

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2002

This is what I did and I received the full version of Win7 Pro in the mail a few days later.