Sign in with
Your question

Windows 8 faster than windows 7?

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 8
Last response: in Windows 8
November 15, 2012 10:00:49 PM

Microsoft claim that windows 8 runs faster and smoother than windows 7 and many people posting on forums seems to back this up. However this was definitely not the case on my PC. After downloading and installing the windows 8 pro upgrade from Microsoft my system ran noticeably slower.

My system is
CPU - Intel I7 2600 3.4gb quad core
GPU - NVidia 560ti
RAM - 8gb

There's 2 possible explanations I can think of:-

1. I have a decent GPU on my system that maybe improves windows 7 performance by handling the Aero effects.

2. Many people who install windows 8 are simply getting the benefit of installing a new clean OS that hasn't yet got clogged up with bloatware running in the background. Similar performance gains could have been made by just re-installing windows 7 or cleaning up their system.

Would be interested to know what other people's experience is with windows 8. I quite like the new start menu in Windows 8 and some of the other new design features but have reverted back to windows 7 because of the performance issues.

More about : windows faster windows

a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
November 15, 2012 10:18:59 PM

Oli999 said:
Microsoft claim that windows 8 runs faster and smoother than windows 7 and many people posting on forums seems to back this up. However this was definitely not the case on my PC. After downloading and installing the windows 8 pro upgrade from Microsoft my system ran noticeably slower.

My system is
GPU - NVidia 560ti
RAM - 8gb

1. I have a decent GPU on my system that maybe improves windows 7 performance by handling the Aero effects.

2. Many people who install windows 8 are simply getting the benefit of installing a new clean OS that hasn't yet got clogged up with bloatware running in the background. Similar performance gains could have been made by just re-installing windows 7 or cleaning up their system.

Would be interested to know what other people's experience is with windows 8. I quite like the new start menu in Windows 8 and some of the other new design features but have reverted back to windows 7 because of the performance issues.

Windows 8 lacks Aeroglass which was a large resource hog on slower machines. As a result, it has a smaller memory footprint. There are also numerous other changes which can affect performance, including WDDM 1.2 which further offloads processing to the GPU, and the inclusion of Windows Defender.

I upgraded to Windows 8 on two of my machines and have been very happy with it. The new start menu does take a bit of getting used to but I have not had problem with it and have no complaints.
November 16, 2012 6:15:42 AM

Yes definitely windows 8 is faster then windows 7 its features and graphics are also advanced.
Related resources
November 16, 2012 8:46:34 AM

It's significantly faster but most of all...it boots in under 12 seconds for me and thats with a 5200rpm 2TB HDD
November 16, 2012 8:51:04 AM

Window 8 Is Faster As It Is Advance And the *** Browser explorer also work fast
November 16, 2012 9:03:24 AM

My windows 8 is much faster than Windows 7. No bloatware on my W7 or W8. It sounds like you may need to install some missing drivers if you feel its running slower...eg chipset drivers.
November 16, 2012 9:19:07 AM

I have SSD and it boots up no faster than my Windows 7.
Some graphics benchmarks showed it was nearly identical. Windows 8 was about 0.5%-1% faster.
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
November 16, 2012 1:52:02 PM

SRRAE said:
Some graphics benchmarks showed it was nearly identical. Windows 8 was about 0.5%-1% faster.

It will only boot faster if you have an EFI compatible firmware that has been updated to have Windows 8 support.
November 16, 2012 2:18:11 PM

From my experience windows8 has a lot of graphical issues not present in windows7; from old games such as RedAlert2 running like a slideshow to youtube display updates being slow and glitchy.
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
November 16, 2012 2:30:00 PM

jldevoy said:
From my experience windows8 has a lot of graphical issues not present in windows7; from old games such as RedAlert2 running like a slideshow to youtube display updates being slow and glitchy.

Youtube works fine, update your video drivers
November 17, 2012 4:41:42 AM

jldevoy said:

exactly the same problem for me. I quite like some older retro games but for example doom 2 won't work at all on Windows 8 and neither will the older Grand theft auto titles.

Newer games do seem to run ok in Windows 8. The only thing is I have dual screen and often like to have a video on the other screen while playing. This works fine on Windows 7 but windows 8 can't handle it. Both video and game go into slideshow mode.
November 17, 2012 4:47:24 AM

captainblacko said:
My windows 8 is much faster than Windows 7. No bloatware on my W7 or W8. It sounds like you may need to install some missing drivers if you feel its running slower...eg chipset drivers.

Admittedly I didn't re-install the chipset drivers after running the windows 8 upgrade. It seems unlikely this would be necessary. They were definitely installed in Windows 7 before running the upgrade.
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
November 17, 2012 4:54:06 AM

i dunno where all this significantly faster is coming from. its about 1-2% on average faster across the board. a lot of people are assuming its faster but in reality it isnt really.

the reason for it being generally faster is more to do with the fact that its a fresh install, nothing more. give it 6 months of use and them users will see that the realit is its no real difference...

it uses less resources as pointed out NO AERO so much less demanding on memory for just operating the o.s. so your system will seem a little more responsive but in real world tests the difference is minimal...
as for graphics its has been shown that there is no difference. why? because 11.1 doesnt have any hardware available to take advantage of the new direct x and even if it were the features will be exactly the same as on windows 7 which is also getting direct x 11.1 all be it a wddm 1 version which in reality isnt any different to the updated 1 which is slightly better optomized for windows 8.

the reason for it being generally faster is more to do with the fact that its a fresh install, nothing more. give it 6 months of use and them users will see that the realit is its no real difference...
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/windows-8-gaming-performa... check for yourselves... you will see people are exagerating the performance gains most of which just aint there. they did the same when ivy bridge turned up. oh! its much better than sandy bridge when in reality the diference is less than 4% in most cases... they do this to justify the outlay and try to convince any 1 tat will listen that they got a whole lot for there money when in reality they got very little.

if you have windows 7 and your happy with it then there is no real reason to switch to windows 8. unless you want the UI which to me is great for mobile devices but not much use on a desktop.
November 17, 2012 11:00:28 PM

I was wondering if maybe a lot of the "Windows 8 is much faster" stuff might be coming directly from Microsoft. I know a lot of big companies these days seek to actively manage social media in relation to their products and image.

I've tried windows 8 on both my main PC and laptop. It performs worse on the pc and on the laptop it starts up slightly quicker but apart from that there's no noticeable difference.

Guess the new interface is a matter of personal preference. I doesn't work for me. Seems like it would be well suited to a touch screen device but isn't right for the traditional mouse and keyboard setup. Would happily have windows 8 on a phone or tablet but windows 7 is the OS of choice for a home PC or laptop imo.

To Microsoft's credit they did refund my money straight away with no hassle at all. On that basis I would recommend trying Windows 8 and sending it back if you don't get on with it. You can effectively get it on a 14 day free trial.
a b $ Windows 7
November 17, 2012 11:35:30 PM

I've been running the Release Preview on my laptop (Dell Latitude D531, dual-core Turion, 4 GB), and it runs a lot faster than the copy of Vista I had on it before, although, what doesn't run faster than Vista?

I also have Windows 7 and 8 Release Preview dual-booting on my desktop (Core 2 Quad, 8 GB), and it seems about the same as far as speed.

I'm thinking about upgrading my laptop to Windows 8 and tossing out Vista, but I'm on the fence as far as the new interface. It seems too "touch-screen" for me, but I can get used to it.

Casey
a b $ Windows 7
November 18, 2012 12:00:49 AM

Windows 8 is 15% faster than Windows 7 on bulk transfers on USB2. Microsoft has said that this improvement will be added to Windows 7 after Windows 8 was released. Windows 8 is not encumbered by Aero or Gadgets which tend to slow Windows 7 a bit. Apart from that it is of similar speed to Windows 7.

The main problem with Windows 8 is the graphics drivers, unless you have a recent graphics card the drivers either do not work or unavailable or very buggy.
a c 423 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
November 18, 2012 12:05:51 AM

Seems to be a tad faster than 7,but runs real smooth.
November 18, 2012 12:09:18 AM

I have it on my folding@home rig so I could try it out. Doesn't seem any faster to me, but I haven't fully tested it. Gaming benchmarks are pretty much equal too. I just can't get past the interface, I hate it.
a c 423 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
November 18, 2012 12:09:23 AM

Gaming does seem equal i must agree.
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
November 18, 2012 12:32:22 AM

HEXiT said:
i dunno where all this significantly faster is coming from. its about 1-2% on average faster across the board. a lot of people are assuming its faster but in reality it isnt really.

it uses less resources as pointed out NO AERO so much less demanding on memory for just operating the o.s. so your system will seem a little more responsive but in real world tests the difference is minimal...
as for graphics its has been shown that there is no difference. why? because 11.1 doesnt have any hardware available to take advantage of the new direct x and even if it were the features will be exactly the same as on windows 7 which is also getting direct x 11.1 all be it a wddm 1 version which in reality isnt any different to the updated 1 which is slightly better optomized for windows 8.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/windows-8-gaming-performa... check for yourselves... you will see people are exagerating the performance gains most of which just aint there. they did the same when ivy bridge turned up. oh! its much better than sandy bridge when in reality the diference is less than 4% in most cases... they do this to justify the outlay and try to convince any 1 tat will listen that they got a whole lot for there money when in reality they got very little.

if you have windows 7 and your happy with it then there is no real reason to switch to windows 8. unless you want the UI which to me is great for mobile devices but not much use on a desktop.

It's noticeably smoother even compared to a fresh installation of Windows 7
November 18, 2012 9:12:20 AM

Pinhedd said:
It's noticeably smoother even compared to a fresh installation of Windows 7

Not on either of my computers.
November 18, 2012 11:51:06 AM

but in gaming window 7 wins
February 9, 2013 7:29:19 PM

I really think you shouldn't upgrade your system to Windows 8. If you want Windows 8 to work well you need to buy a machine with Windows 8. I got a Dell computer with Windows 8 on it for Christmas and works excellently! Maybe I see a huge difference because I went from having Windows XP to Windows 8.
February 19, 2013 12:39:53 AM

I've been running Win7 64bit for years on my 2008 iMac (Core 2 Duo) so was looking forward to a more efficient Windows8. However, my experience has been abysmal. Even by tweaking settings on Virtualbox, it has been very buggy- both Chrome and IE crash to the point where they are unusable. I've installed Win8 Preview, Win8 Pro and am having these issues with Win8 Enterprise at the moment. I'm to the point of giving up. I plan to get better hardware soon, but if it's running so poorly compared to Windows7- which has virtually no issues- I hesitate to invest all of that time again. It's odd to think that just opening the Desktop and running one app would cause an entire OS to crash- as if rendering a desktop were something we haven't been doing for the past 20 years.
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 19, 2013 2:09:28 AM

b_garcia said:
I've been running Win7 64bit for years on my 2008 iMac (Core 2 Duo) so was looking forward to a more efficient Windows8. However, my experience has been abysmal. Even by tweaking settings on Virtualbox, it has been very buggy- both Chrome and IE crash to the point where they are unusable. I've installed Win8 Preview, Win8 Pro and am having these issues with Win8 Enterprise at the moment. I'm to the point of giving up. I plan to get better hardware soon, but if it's running so poorly compared to Windows7- which has virtually no issues- I hesitate to invest all of that time again. It's odd to think that just opening the Desktop and running one app would cause an entire OS to crash- as if rendering a desktop were something we haven't been doing for the past 20 years.

Windows 8 Enterprise is SA only, which means that unless you work for a large company your copy is bootlegged.

There are also known issues when installing Windows anything on Apple hardware. I would not be surprised if Windows 8 doesn't like the depreciated EFI firmware on older macs.

I've been using Windows 8 on my Desktop and Laptop since general availability in August and have never had a problem with it.
February 20, 2013 2:29:00 AM

Pinhedd said:
Windows 8 Enterprise is SA only, which means that unless you work for a large company your copy is bootlegged.

There are also known issues when installing Windows anything on Apple hardware. I would not be surprised if Windows 8 doesn't like the depreciated EFI firmware on older macs.

I've been using Windows 8 on my Desktop and Laptop since general availability in August and have never had a problem with it.

No, it's not bootlegged. I have an MS subscription. A bootleg OS is pretty much a waste of time these days. However I can say that my Mac has run Windows more reliably than any other piece of Windows hardware I've owned for several years. This includes brand new laptops, desktops at work and home. That being said- I plan to build a small Shuttle/Core i5/8GB/SSD system soon for Windows 8 and think that should fit the bill.
April 15, 2013 10:21:49 PM

pjmelect said:
Windows 8 is 15% faster than Windows 7 on bulk transfers on USB2. Microsoft has said that this improvement will be added to Windows 7 after Windows 8 was released. Windows 8 is not encumbered by Aero or Gadgets which tend to slow Windows 7 a bit. Apart from that it is of similar speed to Windows 7.

The main problem with Windows 8 is the graphics drivers, unless you have a recent graphics card the drivers either do not work or unavailable or very buggy.

depends on the system I have a AMD Athalon X4 635 and blah blah blah anyways I've noticed that on windows 7 my stuff transfers on average of 5mb/s faster which is massive if you think about it but my machine is a few years old and was built on windows 7 so that could be the thing as well and another issue I had was my note 2 and my s3 both didn't take well to windows 8 on this machine but worked fine on my cousins laptop that had win 8 preinstalled....go figure
May 9, 2013 8:44:26 PM

I am staying far away until their update comes out and even then I don't run a touchscreen monitor which seems ideal for the GUI of 8.
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
May 10, 2013 11:39:36 AM

jungle71 said:
one thing win 8 is still having issues with is the drivers. it has a ridiculously poor compatibility unlike win 7

What? With the exception of some whackass third party printer drivers, Windows 8 has almost universal device compatibility.
May 12, 2013 12:59:04 PM

Pinhedd said:
jungle71 said:
one thing win 8 is still having issues with is the drivers. it has a ridiculously poor compatibility unlike win 7

What? With the exception of some whackass third party printer drivers, Windows 8 has almost universal device compatibility.

window 7 deals with devices more better than windows 8 can.
May 12, 2013 2:38:47 PM

Windows 8 uses less resources then 7 & vista, therefore when you boot and open programs etc they will load faster.
a b * Windows 8
May 12, 2013 9:03:57 PM

of course
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
May 13, 2013 9:25:20 AM

jungle71 said:
Pinhedd said:
jungle71 said:

window 7 deals with devices more better than windows 8 can.

I have not run into a single case where Windows 8 has had any issues with device compatibility.
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
May 13, 2013 12:42:33 PM

From what i read, upgrades generally require a clean installation of the previous OS to function correctly. It appears that a program or something from your original OS is causing Win 8 to function improperly.

With that being said Win 8 should function as quick as Win 7 does. Windows 8 is not really 'faster' than Windows 7 (well maybe during bootup Win 8 is the best) but otherwise Win 8 doesn't have some of Aero effects which could account for the extra power. You'll get a little more resources with Windows 8 overall it's not faster or more responsive then Windows 7. Clean installations will always appear faster as there are no programs and no clutter in the registry. Older hard drives generally will wear down as well causing the system to run slower.

Try the clean install of your existing windows then do the Win 8 upgrade. It's usually best to do a full format of the hdd to clear out the hard drive of any bugs or superficial errors.
May 16, 2013 6:58:14 AM

MidnightDistort said:
From what i read, upgrades generally require a clean installation of the previous OS to function correctly. It appears that a program or something from your original OS is causing Win 8 to function improperly.

With that being said Win 8 should function as quick as Win 7 does. Windows 8 is not really 'faster' than Windows 7 (well maybe during bootup Win 8 is the best) but otherwise Win 8 doesn't have some of Aero effects which could account for the extra power. You'll get a little more resources with Windows 8 overall it's not faster or more responsive then Windows 7. Clean installations will always appear faster as there are no programs and no clutter in the registry. Older hard drives generally will wear down as well causing the system to run slower.

Try the clean install of your existing windows then do the Win 8 upgrade. It's usually best to do a full format of the hdd to clear out the hard drive of any bugs or superficial errors.

spot on!
June 3, 2013 2:22:06 PM

I've been using Win8 since January but yesterday got fed up with compatibility issues I had with DirectX SDK and VS2012, so I decided to give Win7 a try. I immediately noticed that UI feels less smooth and the OS stutters way more during development - navigating through large code bases a day ago was certainly much faster on Win8 than on Win7 today.
One more thing, on Win8 I played Rage once in a while and after installing Win7 I checked if it still works or need re-install. I launched it and frame rate was significantly lower.
Hardware is 16GB RAM 1600MHz, i7-3610QM, GF 650M, Samsung 840 SSD.
I just wiped Win7 and moved back to Win8. I think it depends on hardware you have and available drivers. I guess I am lucky in this regard while others with dodgy drivers could have completely opposite experience.
July 7, 2013 1:17:14 PM

SRRAE said:

I am running a core i3 with 4 gigs of ram intel graphics with SSD. I find the start to be the same for win7 and win8 on dell N5050 laptop.
What I have found is win7 and win8 seem to boot in the same amount of time. I find that IE loads faster in windows 8 but Chrome seems to have some loading speed issues in windows 8.
As for the start screen it seems all the apps are way slower than any of the desktop apps. Not as much power in them to do things from the desktop not sure why? Can someone answer that for me?
The windows 8.1 update has some good things and some bad. They have lied about bringing back the original start button. The new one is a joke. They have taken away the image backup feature and that was one of my favorite things.
They changed the app store to look like the xbox menu as well as the music app and it is not laid out as well and just plain ugly.
Last microsoft bugs the heck out of you with use bing and set IE as your default browser. They bug you to use bing even when you are using bing. Just gets old fast. Why switch from 7?
September 8, 2013 12:21:46 PM

I have a Windows 8 laptop [Asus] it is fast turning on and going on the internet but....... gaming is slower because the start menu is taking up to much ram during gameplay lets say if I am playing Fallout 3 with no mods installed i would get 16 fps and droping on Windows 8. ( I am now playing on the same system but this time its Windows 7 same specs ) i get 26 fps going up to 40 to 30 fps, 26 is the lowest i got on Windows 7, Windows 8 is more of an office PC, If you are a gamer like me don't be fooled and get Windows 8 stay/get Windows 7/xp if you are looking for a PC that just plays discs or movies or going on the internet or editing ect and if you don't game well this is the software for you Windows 8!
September 29, 2013 2:32:19 AM

GazZion1 said:
I have a Windows 8 laptop [Asus] it is fast turning on and going on the internet but....... gaming is slower because the start menu is taking up to much ram during gameplay lets say if I am playing Fallout 3 with no mods installed i would get 16 fps and droping on Windows 8. ( I am now playing on the same system but this time its Windows 7 same specs ) i get 26 fps going up to 40 to 30 fps, 26 is the lowest i got on Windows 7, Windows 8 is more of an office PC, If you are a gamer like me don't be fooled and get Windows 8 stay/get Windows 7/xp if you are looking for a PC that just plays discs or movies or going on the internet or editing ect and if you don't game well this is the software for you Windows 8!

I am fed up with the lack of stability and audio glitches from multiple audio programs. Latency is terrible, as far as timecodes and usb audio. Capturing audio, 96/24 or 44/16 is a nightmare. No matter the software. It's like George Martin cut the 1/2 tape and spliced it together. Windows 8 turns production into a jumbled mess.

Rendering audio is even more a headache, it's a glitch fest of audio. I have a 800.00 board that is rendered useless due to the poor audio performance and stability. The software companies inform my of the bottleneck nature of the 2 operating systems, sharing the same network, which affects usb and the audio.

My hatred of Metro is the fact you can't kill it, even suspended Windows 8 cycles and moves processes on demand that causes cpu spikes and terrible latency when pushed. A useless add on, it's not wanted be me, and it hinders my work.
January 30, 2014 4:04:13 PM

HEXiT said:

January 30, 2014 4:53:44 PM

Oli999 said:

My system is
GPU - NVidia 560ti
RAM - 8gb

I have a desktop pc that runs windows 8 64bit very well.... better then I thought. It's an "E" Machine that was built for "Vista" ONLY, It came with AMD 64bit 2.01ghz non dual core or HT and 2gig mem with 80gb HDD! All I did was but a 500gb and 2 more mem ddr2 so now it's 4gb mem and installed windows 8 pro 64bit ran great! before hand I have had windows 7 on it but it lag badly when multi tasking! So when I turn off Aero it ran much better but all in all I got better performance when I installed Win 8 pro 64bit and yes each OS was taken trough extreme conditions....Meaning I beat the hell out of each OS! So windows 8 is the best! You know windows 8 will do you wonders cause it base off windows 2000 pro! The only thing I find wrong in windows 8 is the metro screen, unless you have a touch screen it can be a pain until you get use to it!

What you can do it strip your windows os down take out what you don't want and add in things you want! with RT7lite!
February 2, 2014 5:10:32 AM

You probably have some non-win8 system drivers - not enough to crash the computer but enough to slow it down.
February 19, 2014 12:55:52 AM

I have

I7 2600k
8Gb ram
560ti

Very similar system specs. I find windows 8 runs very well. I did a straight upgrade and not a system refresh. I do find that my display driver crashes a lot with ms office, Photoshop and after effects. Haven't found a solution for this yet. I recommend that you do a PC refresh which will not lose any files but will I identify any outstanding issues with your system.
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
February 19, 2014 1:44:47 AM

thats your problem a straight upgrade tends to leave a lot of mess behind. old drivers, dlls and some system files.
until these are removed your gonna have issues. better to move all your personal data off the boot drive and fresh install with win 8 specific drivers and partition (win 7 and 8 partitions should be compatible but there not with xp) if there needed. most of the gfx drivers are multi platform so its unlikely you will find win 8 only versions. as for the rest your reliant on whether the manufacturer can be bothered to issue updated drivers. on a desktop this is rareley an issue unless you have a particularly old webcam or sound card but on laptops its a real ongoing problem.
February 19, 2014 2:10:06 AM

You sir, speak the truth...
June 15, 2014 12:45:49 PM

I agree with the fact of more speed! My Fx4100 quadcore amd gaming desktop showed no difference, although my work laptop with celeron 530 single core cpu is around 50% faster. Boot time from 70 seconds on clean win7 to 13 seconds on clean win8.1! Massive increase. And using office is faster, from around 30 secs to start word2010 to 2 on win8.1 (same word). And youtube now streams fluid. it always was laggy and loading took ages!! So NEVER back to earlier versions. (XP was also fast, but using was crappy)

Conclusion: Upgrade if having an 2008 model laptop
August 4, 2014 10:22:47 PM

iphonerepairs said:
Yes definitely windows 8 is faster then windows 7 its features and graphics are also advanced.

But at the same time, remember Windows 8 has completely screwed up Search! in my laptop running Windows 8 with Office 365 Home Premium, sometimes the search index runs in to 60 to 70 GB. Microsoft has admitted the issues AFAIK, but they are yet to resolve it, which pretty sick!
!