DVDit how to

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 12, 2005 7:34:26 AM

I am learning to use DVDit at work. I am stumped at this task:
I have encoded several MP2 video clips individually. I drag them into the DVDit
program.
I want to create a DVD that will play all the video clips from start to finish
and then end the DVD playback.
I don't want the viewer to be bothered with a menu. I have found a pseudo way of
doing this by making the last video a 10 second clip of black and then looping
it. Is there a more straight forward way?
I don't know what version of DVDit we have as I am at home now.
Thanks for any help.

More about : dvdit

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 9:39:42 AM

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:34:26 GMT, "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:

>I am learning to use DVDit at work. I am stumped at this task:
>I have encoded several MP2 video clips individually. I drag them into the DVDit
>program.
>I want to create a DVD that will play all the video clips from start to finish
>and then end the DVD playback.
>I don't want the viewer to be bothered with a menu. I have found a pseudo way of
>doing this by making the last video a 10 second clip of black and then looping
>it. Is there a more straight forward way?
>I don't know what version of DVDit we have as I am at home now.
>Thanks for any help.

I know this can be done with DVDit 5.2, which is the latest version.
Previous versions were names like DVDit LE, DVDit SE and DVDit PE with
the latter having the most features and I seem to recall costing
around $600. In 5.2, you would set up your first video as 'first
play' and then you can direct your first video to play second video
upon completion and so forth until all of your individual videos
played. You could also combine all of your clips and create just 1
video before importing into DVDit. I hope I am understanding your
question.

Richard M.
Rich M.
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 10:24:15 AM

"DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in message
>I am learning to use DVDit at work. I am stumped at this task:
> I have encoded several MP2 video clips individually. I drag them into the
> DVDit
> program.
> I want to create a DVD that will play all the video clips from start to
> finish
> and then end the DVD playback.
> I don't want the viewer to be bothered with a menu. I have found a pseudo
> way of
> doing this by making the last video a 10 second clip of black and then
> looping
> it. Is there a more straight forward way?
> I don't know what version of DVDit we have as I am at home now.
> Thanks for any help.

I don't use any version of DVDit, but maybe it will allow you
to load all your clips into the same "title", thereby making them
"chapters" that play one after another. (In TMPGEnc DVD
Author (TDA), this is a default.) That assumes that all the MP2
video clips share the same parameters. (Bitrate, image size &
Aspect ratio) You should also be able to set the action for the
DVD player to take when the title ends.

You should also be aware that not all players like a "No Menu"
DVD.

Luck;
Ken
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 12, 2005 6:03:50 PM

Rich M. wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:34:26 GMT, "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:
>
>> I am learning to use DVDit at work. I am stumped at this task:
>> I have encoded several MP2 video clips individually. I drag them into the
>> DVDit program.
>> I want to create a DVD that will play all the video clips from start to
>> finish and then end the DVD playback.
>> I don't want the viewer to be bothered with a menu. I have found a pseudo
>> way of doing this by making the last video a 10 second clip of black and
>> then looping it. Is there a more straight forward way?
>> I don't know what version of DVDit we have as I am at home now.
>> Thanks for any help.
>>

> I know this can be done with DVDit 5.2, which is the latest version.
> Previous versions were names like DVDit LE, DVDit SE and DVDit PE with
> the latter having the most features and I seem to recall costing
> around $600. In 5.2, you would set up your first video as 'first
> play' and then you can direct your first video to play second video
> upon completion and so forth until all of your individual videos
> played. You could also combine all of your clips and create just 1
> video before importing into DVDit. I hope I am understanding your
> question.
>
> Richard M.
> Rich M.

Our version is one of the "lettered" versions. Will have to check on Monday. The
end action properties for each clip (movie) do not have an option to "do
nothing". I can set it to play another clip or bring up a menu.
You mention "combine all your clips". Goggling around last night I saw mention
of MPG editors. Most seem to do way more than I need but that may be a good
option. As it is now I have to assemble my clips on video tape or in an AVID to
get one clip that contains several pieces of video... then encode that.
My workplace produces TV commercials and often an agency will want a compilation
of various spots but will insist that there NOT be a menu. My work-around for
the pseudo no menu DVD is to create a normal setup with menus and then add the
first video to "first play". The last video is a 10 second piece of black that
loops forever. This sort of works but can confuse some viewers because the DVD
does not actually end with the default screen showing on the monitor. Also the
menu will show IF the viewer presses the menu button. (that is not so much a bad
thing though)
Another weird thing is that when this type of DVD is playing the chapter or cut
numbers showing on the front of the DVD player are descending starting with the
highest number and counting down.
March 12, 2005 6:03:50 PM

Ken Maltby wrote:
> "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in message
>> I am learning to use DVDit at work. I am stumped at this task:
>> I have encoded several MP2 video clips individually. I drag them into the
>> DVDit
>> program.
>> I want to create a DVD that will play all the video clips from start to
>> finish
>> and then end the DVD playback.
>> I don't want the viewer to be bothered with a menu. I have found a pseudo
>> way of
>> doing this by making the last video a 10 second clip of black and then
>> looping
>> it. Is there a more straight forward way?
>> I don't know what version of DVDit we have as I am at home now.
>> Thanks for any help.
>>

> I don't use any version of DVDit, but maybe it will allow you
> to load all your clips into the same "title", thereby making them
> "chapters" that play one after another. (In TMPGEnc DVD
> Author (TDA), this is a default.) That assumes that all the MP2
> video clips share the same parameters. (Bitrate, image size &
> Aspect ratio) You should also be able to set the action for the
> DVD player to take when the title ends.
>
> You should also be aware that not all players like a "No Menu"
> DVD.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

What happens when a player has a problem with a "No Menu DVD"?
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 6:03:51 PM

> What happens when a player has a problem with a "No Menu DVD"?

It's mainly a problem if you have more than one "Title", some
players won't be able to switch from the first one to any others.

Luck;
Ken
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 1:17:56 AM

Place your first clip in the"First Play" position. Select the end action of
this clip to go on to the second, and continue this until the very end. At
that point you would need to have this end action go back to the beginning.

Why not just set a simple menu with a "Play Movie" button, and at the end of
the sequences have it go back to this menu? Otherwise the viewer would have
to stop the secondary playback in the continuous loop setup outlined above.

Or place a menu for the last video sequence to go to in order to allow the
viewer to play the entire production again? You button would just point to
the "First Play" video.
March 13, 2005 1:59:20 AM

Digital Video Solutions wrote:
> Place your first clip in the"First Play" position. Select the end action of
> this clip to go on to the second, and continue this until the very end. At
> that point you would need to have this end action go back to the beginning.
>
> Why not just set a simple menu with a "Play Movie" button, and at the end of
> the sequences have it go back to this menu? Otherwise the viewer would have
> to stop the secondary playback in the continuous loop setup outlined above.

I tried to create a menu like that but for a DVD with (say) 6 video clips... I
have to drag each clip into the menu area. The thumbnails can only be resized
down a little. I tried to overlap them so that the "play" button was on top but
DVDit yelled at me. And for the 6 clips to loop will not work with my clients.

> Or place a menu for the last video sequence to go to in order to allow the
> viewer to play the entire production again? You button would just point to
> the "First Play" video.

This might be better than the 10 second black loop if it we're not for the fact
that (it seems) that I must have a button for each video clip.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 9:47:07 AM

Just get Version 5.

Gary Eickmeier
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 12:24:12 PM

"Gary Eickmeier" <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> Just get Version 5.
>
> Gary Eickmeier

Or TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA) www.pegasys-inc.com

It can make menus without thumbnails, using text fields that can
even be blank spaces. In this way you can make any feature of
your background clip or image a "button". You can also just
enter a space with the smallest font size set to create a invisible
speck that you can move to an edge outside the "TV safe area".
( Effectively removing that menu item. This works for any text item,
even non selectable text (like a title) and there is a similar trick
for removing any other item.)

If all your MP2 clips are DVD compliant and have the same
parameters (except that the audio can be somewhat different,
TDA includes an audio transcoding ability; AC3 also with a
plug-in ) you could just put them all in a folder. Using the
"Add files" button in TDA you would find that folder and use
CTL-A to select all the files for that "Track/Title".

Click the "Create Menu" button, and select "No Menu".
Leave the "First play action" on the "Play all tracks" default
for "No Menu". You might want to set the "Action to take
after each track has been played:" to "Play the next track
(Loop mode), to loop the whole DVD.

That's it, let TDA make your DVD structure, and if you want,
burn the DVD with its built-in burner.

Luck;
Ken
March 13, 2005 6:04:49 PM

Gary... Will version 5 solve my specific problem?

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
> Just get Version 5.
>
> Gary Eickmeier
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 6:04:50 PM

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:04:49 GMT, "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:

>Gary... Will version 5 solve my specific problem?
>
>Gary Eickmeier wrote:
>> Just get Version 5.
>>
>> Gary Eickmeier

Dan:

Let me see if I have this right. You would like to put this 'dvd'
into a set top dvd player and have it start playing automatically your
'several MP2 video clips individually' one following the other
automatically only once then stopping on a black screen indefinitely?
Tell me this is exactly what you want to do, and I will do it in my V5
and report back to you. If you are already able to accomplish this
with the 'pseudo way' way you are talking about, then it doesn't make
sense to spring for any additional dvd authoring software unless you
plan to get into it more frequently. I don't know if this is a one
time thing you are doing or you plan on doing this more frequently.
If you will be doing more of this in the future, then I would
investigate a more robust authoring program of which there are many:

Adobe Encore
http://www.adobe.com/products/encore/main.html

DVDit
http://www.sonic.com/products/dvdit/default.asp

TMPGEnc DVD Author
http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda.html

DVD Lab Pro
http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/dvdlabpro.html

Sony Vegas/DVD Architect
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/showprod...
(great package for video editing and dvd authoring and is the one that
I use)

Ulead DVD Workshop
http://www.ulead.com/dws/runme.htm

These seem to be the more robust DVD authoring programs. There may
be more.

You may want to check out:

alt.video.dvd.authoring
alt.video.dvd.software

Richard M.
Rich M.
March 13, 2005 8:59:07 PM

Rich M. wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:04:49 GMT, "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:
>
>> Gary... Will version 5 solve my specific problem?
>>
>> Gary Eickmeier wrote:
>>> Just get Version 5.
>>>
>>> Gary Eickmeier
>>

> Dan:
>
> Let me see if I have this right. You would like to put this 'dvd'
> into a set top dvd player and have it start playing automatically your
> 'several MP2 video clips individually' one following the other
> automatically only once then stopping on a black screen indefinitely?

Stopping on the black looped screen I am able to do with the 'pseudo' method. I
would prefer for the DVD to END after playing the final clip. Most DVD players
I've used have some manufacturer splash screen that pops up when there is no DVD
in the tray or when the DVD is stopped. This is what happens when only one video
clip is on the DVD and I use the 'first play' function in the DVDit authoring
program. This way it's quite clear to the viewer that the DVD has played
everything. Even if there is a quasi hidden menu I don't have to spend a lot of
time making it look good. By quasi hidden I mean the menu will show if the
viewer presses the menu button.

> Tell me this is exactly what you want to do, and I will do it in my V5
> and report back to you. If you are already able to accomplish this
> with the 'pseudo way' way you are talking about, then it doesn't make
> sense to spring for any additional dvd authoring software unless you
> plan to get into it more frequently. I don't know if this is a one
> time thing you are doing or you plan on doing this more frequently.
> If you will be doing more of this in the future, then I would
> investigate a more robust authoring program of which there are many:

I have requests for this type of DVD almost everyday.

> Adobe Encore
> http://www.adobe.com/products/encore/main.html
>
> DVDit
> http://www.sonic.com/products/dvdit/default.asp
>
> TMPGEnc DVD Author
> http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda.html
>
> DVD Lab Pro
> http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/dvdlabpro.html
>
> Sony Vegas/DVD Architect
> http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/showprod...
> (great package for video editing and dvd authoring and is the one that
> I use)
>
> Ulead DVD Workshop
> http://www.ulead.com/dws/runme.htm
>

> These seem to be the more robust DVD authoring programs. There may
> be more.
>
> You may want to check out:
>
> alt.video.dvd.authoring
> alt.video.dvd.software
>

> Richard M.
> Rich M.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 4:31:35 AM

DanR wrote:
> Gary... Will version 5 solve my specific problem?
>
> Gary Eickmeier wrote:
>
>>Just get Version 5.

Easy as pie. I just made a menu-less DVD for a client. It was a single
clip, but it could be as many as you want. For each one, you can
designate what you want it to do when it ends, such as loop, play next
title in list, or stop. Or even play first title in list, if you want a
continuous play deal. Very versatile program, and a HELL of a lot better
and easier to use than the lettered versions of yore.

Gary Eickmeier
March 14, 2005 6:14:25 AM

Gary Eickmeier wrote:
> DanR wrote:
>> Gary... Will version 5 solve my specific problem?
>>
>> Gary Eickmeier wrote:
>>
>>> Just get Version 5.
>
> Easy as pie. I just made a menu-less DVD for a client. It was a single
> clip, but it could be as many as you want. For each one, you can
> designate what you want it to do when it ends, such as loop, play next
> title in list, or stop. Or even play first title in list, if you want a
> continuous play deal. Very versatile program, and a HELL of a lot better
> and easier to use than the lettered versions of yore.
>
> Gary Eickmeier

I will look into upgrading to ver 5 tomorrow, Monday. Is there literally a
"stop" option for end action?
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 6:14:26 AM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 03:14:25 GMT, "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:

>I will look into upgrading to ver 5 tomorrow, Monday. Is there literally a
>"stop" option for end action?

Yes.....

Rich M.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 6:35:18 AM

DanR wrote:

> I will look into upgrading to ver 5 tomorrow, Monday. Is there literally a
> "stop" option for end action?

Yes.

Gary Eickmeier
March 14, 2005 9:11:46 AM

>On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:34:26 GMT, "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:
>
>>I am learning to use DVDit at work. I am stumped at this task:
>>I have encoded several MP2 video clips individually. I drag them into the DVDit
>>program.
>>I want to create a DVD that will play all the video clips from start to finish
>>and then end the DVD playback.
>>I don't want the viewer to be bothered with a menu. I have found a pseudo way of
>>doing this by making the last video a 10 second clip of black and then looping
>>it. Is there a more straight forward way?
>>I don't know what version of DVDit we have as I am at home now.
>>Thanks for any help.

Hi Dan,

Easiest and cheapest way is to download DVD Shrink. Take the DVD you
already have and load it into Shrink. Use the Re-Author mode to make
a new DVD with just the Titles you want to play. Your new DVD will no
longer have a Menu and the titles will play in the order you want,
then will end when the last title plays.

DVD Shrink is freeware and one of the best programs ever written.

Total cost, one blank DVD, a few minutes of your time.

Hope this helps,

Susan
March 14, 2005 4:02:38 PM

Susan wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:34:26 GMT, "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am learning to use DVDit at work. I am stumped at this task:
>>> I have encoded several MP2 video clips individually. I drag them into the
>>> DVDit program.
>>> I want to create a DVD that will play all the video clips from start to
>>> finish and then end the DVD playback.
>>> I don't want the viewer to be bothered with a menu. I have found a pseudo
>>> way of doing this by making the last video a 10 second clip of black and
>>> then looping it. Is there a more straight forward way?
>>> I don't know what version of DVDit we have as I am at home now.
>>> Thanks for any help.
>
> Hi Dan,
>
> Easiest and cheapest way is to download DVD Shrink. Take the DVD you
> already have and load it into Shrink. Use the Re-Author mode to make
> a new DVD with just the Titles you want to play. Your new DVD will no
> longer have a Menu and the titles will play in the order you want,
> then will end when the last title plays.
>
> DVD Shrink is freeware and one of the best programs ever written.
>
> Total cost, one blank DVD, a few minutes of your time.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Susan

I will give this a try. It does require me to first create a menu'd DVD and then
do the DVD Shrink procedure.
March 15, 2005 3:39:52 AM

Rich M. wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 03:14:25 GMT, "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:
>

>> I will look into upgrading to ver 5 tomorrow, Monday. Is there literally a
>> "stop" option for end action?
>>

> Yes.....
>

> Rich M.

Rich and Gary...
I don't know if I'll be able to get management to spring for version 5+ but will
try.
One more question about ver 5. When you are selecting a menu option does the
entire thumbnail highlight? (burns out the entire frame) I never liked that with
my version. The lower end Sonic mydvd just highlights the borders of the
thumbnail.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 3:39:53 AM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:39:52 GMT, "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:

>One more question about ver 5. When you are selecting a menu option does the
>entire thumbnail highlight? (burns out the entire frame) I never liked that with
>my version. The lower end Sonic mydvd just highlights the borders of the
>thumbnail.

You have total control on how your menu items appear - sizes, shapes
colors, levels of transparency, etc. Some standard menu/button
templates come with the program or you can create your own with
Photoshop Elements through the use of layers, provided you follow
certain layer naming conventions.

Another nice feature is 'motion menus' where your menu options can be
animated, usually with a segment of video of the chapter you are
selecting like that seen on commercially produced DVDs, many of which
are created with Sonic's flagship product, Scenarist. A little out of
my price league though - around $5000 to $35,000.

Richard M.
Rich M.
March 16, 2005 4:13:51 AM

Susan wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 04:34:26 GMT, "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am learning to use DVDit at work. I am stumped at this task:
>>> I have encoded several MP2 video clips individually. I drag them into the
>>> DVDit program.
>>> I want to create a DVD that will play all the video clips from start to
>>> finish and then end the DVD playback.
>>> I don't want the viewer to be bothered with a menu. I have found a pseudo
>>> way of doing this by making the last video a 10 second clip of black and
>>> then looping it. Is there a more straight forward way?
>>> I don't know what version of DVDit we have as I am at home now.
>>> Thanks for any help.
>
> Hi Dan,
>
> Easiest and cheapest way is to download DVD Shrink. Take the DVD you
> already have and load it into Shrink. Use the Re-Author mode to make
> a new DVD with just the Titles you want to play. Your new DVD will no
> longer have a Menu and the titles will play in the order you want,
> then will end when the last title plays.
>
> DVD Shrink is freeware and one of the best programs ever written.
>
> Total cost, one blank DVD, a few minutes of your time.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Susan

Hi Susan... I tried using DVD Shrink to cure my problem and it worked great. At
first I had a problem where the tracks were reversed. I used a couple of
existing DVDs with menus and ran them through DVD Shrink and the play order of
the tracks were flipped. Then I started from scratch and made a DVD with 2 clips
and a simple menu using DVDit. I ran that DVD through Shrink and the tracks
played in order. The problem could have had something to do with the way I
authored the original DVD in DVDit. But for the times I have to have multiple
videos that autoplay and then end after the last video... this is the solution.
Thank you.
ps... management doesn't want to spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade DVDit.
!