PCM or AC3 difference?

Ralf

Need a little understanding, if you can. I never had a AC3 (Dolby) encode on
my Trial TMPGEnc DVD Author v1.6 program (ac3 is not available with trial
version). My Hauppauge pvr150 card has a hardware encoder onboard and
captures from dishnet 301 reciever.

pvr150 capture is:
Video- Mpeg2, video 720x480, 29.97fps, VBR (constant quality) Max 4400kbps

Audio- Mpeg1, audio layer II, 4800Hz Stereo, 384kbps

I authored my MPEG2 captured movies to VOB files (with TMPGEnc DVD Author
1.6 trial) and then wrote them to a DVD using NERO 6.6. My stereo (onkyo 570
5.1) played the DVD as PCM , not as Dolby. Sounded good, (front rear and
sub). Now with the AC3 plugin for TMPGEnc DVD Author (v1.6 retail version)
my DVD's play as Dolby Stereo in windows media player v10.0 and on the OnKyo
stereo system (5.1).

My problem is, I really dont hear any significant difference between pcm or
dolby. Is there any???.

"ralf" <ralf@net.net> wrote in message
> Need a little understanding, if you can. I never had a AC3 (Dolby) encode
> on
> my Trial TMPGEnc DVD Author v1.6 program (ac3 is not available with trial
> version). My Hauppauge pvr150 card has a hardware encoder onboard and
> captures from dishnet 301 reciever.
>
> pvr150 capture is:
> Video- Mpeg2, video 720x480, 29.97fps, VBR (constant quality) Max 4400kbps
>
> Audio- Mpeg1, audio layer II, 4800Hz Stereo, 384kbps
>
> I authored my MPEG2 captured movies to VOB files (with TMPGEnc DVD Author
> 1.6 trial) and then wrote them to a DVD using NERO 6.6. My stereo (onkyo
> 570
> 5.1) played the DVD as PCM , not as Dolby. Sounded good, (front rear and
> sub). Now with the AC3 plugin for TMPGEnc DVD Author (v1.6 retail version)
> my DVD's play as Dolby Stereo in windows media player v10.0 and on the
> OnKyo
> stereo system (5.1).
>
> My problem is, I really dont hear any significant difference between pcm
> or
> dolby. Is there any???.

The MP2 audio @ 384kbs should be very good, stereo audio.
I don't see any great advantage in size or sound quality, just
converting the 2 channel MP2 to 2 channel AC3. Without the
AC3 plug-in you can still make a DVD with 5.1 channel audio,
you just won't hear the audio during your Authoring. The
plug-in downconverts the 5.1 to 2 channel, so even if you have
it you might not want to use it when you have a 5.1 source.

Luck;
Ken

On a sunny day (Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:54:41 GMT) it happened "ralf"
<ralf@net.net> wrote in <B7%Yd.440$q3.26066@news7.onvoy.net>:

>Need a little understanding, if you can. I never had a AC3 (Dolby) encode on
>my Trial TMPGEnc DVD Author v1.6 program (ac3 is not available with trial
>version). My Hauppauge pvr150 card has a hardware encoder onboard and
>captures from dishnet 301 reciever.
>
>pvr150 capture is:
>Video- Mpeg2, video 720x480, 29.97fps, VBR (constant quality) Max 4400kbps
>
>Audio- Mpeg1, audio layer II, 4800Hz Stereo, 384kbps
>
>I authored my MPEG2 captured movies to VOB files (with TMPGEnc DVD Author
>1.6 trial) and then wrote them to a DVD using NERO 6.6. My stereo (onkyo 570
>5.1) played the DVD as PCM , not as Dolby. Sounded good, (front rear and
>sub). Now with the AC3 plugin for TMPGEnc DVD Author (v1.6 retail version)
>my DVD's play as Dolby Stereo in windows media player v10.0 and on the OnKyo
>stereo system (5.1).
>
>My problem is, I really dont hear any significant difference between pcm or
>dolby. Is there any???.
Yes there is, PCM will be better.
The reason is that AC3 / Dolby / mp2 /mp3 / OGG etc.. are all NOT lossless
compression schemes.
They throw away what most people cannot hear, to reduce space.
There is one area where AC3 playback may help, if you can set compander /
expander level, so as to increase volume in the soft passages, so it can be
played in a noisy room (reducing dynamic range).
Some (software) players have that option.

"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On a sunny day (Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:54:41 GMT) it happened "ralf"
> <ralf@net.net> wrote in <B7%Yd.440$q3.26066@news7.onvoy.net>:
>
>>Need a little understanding, if you can. I never had a AC3 (Dolby) encode
>>on
>>my Trial TMPGEnc DVD Author v1.6 program (ac3 is not available with trial
>>version). My Hauppauge pvr150 card has a hardware encoder onboard and
>>captures from dishnet 301 reciever.
>>
>>pvr150 capture is:
>>Video- Mpeg2, video 720x480, 29.97fps, VBR (constant quality) Max 4400kbps
>>
>>Audio- Mpeg1, audio layer II, 4800Hz Stereo, 384kbps
>>
>>I authored my MPEG2 captured movies to VOB files (with TMPGEnc DVD Author
>>1.6 trial) and then wrote them to a DVD using NERO 6.6. My stereo (onkyo
>>570
>>5.1) played the DVD as PCM , not as Dolby. Sounded good, (front rear and
>>sub). Now with the AC3 plugin for TMPGEnc DVD Author (v1.6 retail version)
>>my DVD's play as Dolby Stereo in windows media player v10.0 and on the
>>OnKyo
>>stereo system (5.1).
>>
>>My problem is, I really dont hear any significant difference between pcm
>>or
>>dolby. Is there any???.
> Yes there is, PCM will be better.
> The reason is that AC3 / Dolby / mp2 /mp3 / OGG etc.. are all NOT lossless
> compression schemes.
> They throw away what most people cannot hear, to reduce space.
> There is one area where AC3 playback may help, if you can set compander /
> expander level, so as to increase volume in the soft passages, so it can
> be
> played in a noisy room (reducing dynamic range).
> Some (software) players have that option.

The OP said that his audio was hardware encoded to MP2 at 384kbps,
so any PCM that his stereo sees started life as the MP2.

Luck;
Ken

On a sunny day (Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:38:13 -0600) it happened "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in <TdCdnWbvCOzqFanfRVn-hA@giganews.com>:
> The OP said that his audio was hardware encoded to MP2 at 384kbps,
>so any PCM that his stereo sees started life as the MP2.
So 2 conversions mp2 -> PCM -> AC3 never very good.
Some cheapo authoring programs convert any mp2 to PCM to avoid paying AC3
licensing costs?
So even thoughg mp2 is a DVD format already, it may still make PCM.
And mp2 will be stereo at most.

> On a sunny day (Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:38:13 -0600) it happened "Ken Maltby"
> <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in <TdCdnWbvCOzqFanfRVn-hA@giganews.com>:
>> The OP said that his audio was hardware encoded to MP2 at 384kbps,
>>so any PCM that his stereo sees started life as the MP2.
> So 2 conversions mp2 -> PCM -> AC3 never very good.
> Some cheapo authoring programs convert any mp2 to PCM to avoid paying AC3
> licensing costs?
> So even thoughg mp2 is a DVD format already, it may still make PCM.
> And mp2 will be stereo at most.

Sometimes I wonder if your brain is wired correctly, your
logic is not linear.

The audio format mp2 is included in the overall MPEG license,
and is relatively cheap. The AC3 Dolby Digital format is a whole
other story. It costs nothing more for an Author program to use
mp2 or PCM formats. The only reason to convert from mp2 to
PCM is for one of those mythical NTSC DVD players that can't
do mp2. So far I've never found a creditable source or anyone
who can provide a make and model for such a player.

Luck;
Ken

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On a sunny day (Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:38:13 -0600) it happened "Ken Maltby"
>> <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in <TdCdnWbvCOzqFanfRVn-hA@giganews.com>:
>>> The OP said that his audio was hardware encoded to MP2 at 384kbps,
>>>so any PCM that his stereo sees started life as the MP2.
>> So 2 conversions mp2 -> PCM -> AC3 never very good.
>> Some cheapo authoring programs convert any mp2 to PCM to avoid paying AC3
>> licensing costs?
>> So even thoughg mp2 is a DVD format already, it may still make PCM.
>> And mp2 will be stereo at most.
>>

> Sometimes I wonder if your brain is wired correctly, your
> logic is not linear.
>
> The audio format mp2 is included in the overall MPEG license,
> and is relatively cheap.

It is Mpeg1 Layer II...not mp2 audio, technically.

>The AC3 Dolby Digital format is a whole
> other story. It costs nothing more for an Author program to use
> mp2 or PCM formats. The only reason to convert from mp2 to
> PCM is for one of those mythical NTSC DVD players that can't
> do mp2. So far I've never found a creditable source or anyone
> who can provide a make and model for such a player.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

I totally agree: I have never had a problem with LPCM, AC3, nor Mpeg 1
Layer II playing on any of a myriad of players.

http://sound.media.mit.edu/mpeg4/audio/faq/mpeg1.html#1-4

> On a sunny day (Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:36:15 -0800) it happened "Alpha"
> <logos1@trip.net> wrote in <1139cilkbp8qu38@corp.supernews.com>:
>

>>"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>>

>>It is Mpeg1 Layer II...not mp2 audio, technically.
> http://sound.media.mit.edu/mpeg4/audio/faq/mpeg1.html#1-4

That is a very good link...although I am not sure why you responded with it.

On a sunny day (Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:18:21 -0600) it happened "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in <ZuKdnZa2bKuJM6nfRVn-tA@giganews.com>:

>"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On a sunny day (Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:38:13 -0600) it happened "Ken Maltby"
>> <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in <TdCdnWbvCOzqFanfRVn-hA@giganews.com>:
>>> The OP said that his audio was hardware encoded to MP2 at 384kbps,
>>>so any PCM that his stereo sees started life as the MP2.
>> So 2 conversions mp2 -> PCM -> AC3 never very good.
>> Some cheapo authoring programs convert any mp2 to PCM to avoid paying AC3
>> licensing costs?
>> So even thoughg mp2 is a DVD format already, it may still make PCM.
>> And mp2 will be stereo at most.
>>

> Sometimes I wonder if your brain is wired correctly, your
>logic is not linear.
Oh yes, but you have not tried have you?
Try putting a PAL mpeg2 movie from satellite (what OP likely has),
in one of those cheapo DVD programs (that come with the burners).
Chances are that it will demux the mpeg, decode the mp2, and make
a DVD with PCM audio.
So read again what I wrote, exactly that.

> The audio format mp2 is included in the overall MPEG license,
>and is relatively cheap. The AC3 Dolby Digital format is a whole
>other story.
That is what I wrote.

>It costs nothing more for an Author program to use
>mp2 or PCM formats. The only reason to convert from mp2 to
>PCM is for one of those mythical NTSC DVD players that can't
>do mp2.
Then why do they do it?

>So far I've never found a creditable source or anyone
>who can provide a make and model for such a player.
That would not be a DVD player, at least not in Europe.

So then the only other reason could be that the programmers
had no clue.
That is to be expected with closed source software.

So, however you slice it, the guy waisted money, it can be
done very well in Linux for free:
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/dvd/

If you think you know more about it, write some soft yourself.

> On a sunny day (Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:18:21 -0600) it happened "Ken Maltby"
> <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in <ZuKdnZa2bKuJM6nfRVn-tA@giganews.com>:
>

>>"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> On a sunny day (Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:38:13 -0600) it happened "Ken
>>> Maltby"
>>> So 2 conversions mp2 -> PCM -> AC3 never very good.
>>> Some cheapo authoring programs convert any mp2 to PCM to avoid paying
>>> AC3
>>> licensing costs?
>>> So even thoughg mp2 is a DVD format already, it may still make PCM.
>>> And mp2 will be stereo at most.
>>>

>> Sometimes I wonder if your brain is wired correctly, your
>>logic is not linear.
> Oh yes, but you have not tried have you?
> Try putting a PAL mpeg2 movie from satellite (what OP likely has),
> in one of those cheapo DVD programs (that come with the burners).
> Chances are that it will demux the mpeg, decode the mp2, and make
> a DVD with PCM audio.
> So read again what I wrote, exactly that.
>
>> The audio format mp2 is included in the overall MPEG license,
>>and is relatively cheap. The AC3 Dolby Digital format is a whole
>>other story.
> That is what I wrote.
>
>>It costs nothing more for an Author program to use
>>mp2 or PCM formats. The only reason to convert from mp2 to
>>PCM is for one of those mythical NTSC DVD players that can't
>>do mp2.
> Then why do they do it?
>
>>So far I've never found a creditable source or anyone
>>who can provide a make and model for such a player.
> That would not be a DVD player, at least not in Europe.
>
> So then the only other reason could be that the programmers
> had no clue.
> That is to be expected with closed source software.
>
> So, however you slice it, the guy waisted money, it can be
> done very well in Linux for free:
> http://panteltje.com/panteltje/dvd/

What can be done? The op's (the guy's) question was
about the difference between what he originally had and
AC3. Even if somewhere in the process the mp2 was
rendered as PCM, which does sound like something
Nero's "NeroVision" would do, it could only contain,
at the most, the amount of audio data as was in the
mp2 created by his hardware encoder. So the only
comparison that reflects the OP's situation is between
mp2 and AC3.

He wasn't asking how to do something, for free or
otherwise.

> If you think you know more about it, write some soft yourself.

Actually, I was writing software in the mid to late 60's, FORTRAN,
and Assembler, mostly. But what is this "it" that I may or may
not know more about?

Luck;
Ken

On a svnny day (Svn, 13 Mar 2005 15:27:59 -0800) it happened "Alpha"
<logos1@trip.net> wrote in <1139j44l1djc5c5@corp.svpernews.com>:

>"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On a svnny day (Svn, 13 Mar 2005 13:36:15 -0800) it happened "Alpha"
>> <logos1@trip.net> wrote in <1139cilkbp8qv38@corp.svpernews.com>:
>>

>>>"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

>>>It is Mpeg1 Layer II...not mp2 avdio, technically.
>> http://sovnd.media.mit.edv/mpeg4/avdio/faq/mpeg1.html#1-4
>
>That is a very good link...althovgh I am not svre why yov responded with it.
Ah, I remved it, bvt soemwhre doen the page it explains abovt mp2 (bvt it does not mention
mp2 by name, qvote:
How is the performance of MPEG-1 Avdio with respect to cascading, i.e. mvltiple coding?

This fvnctionality was tested by the International Telecommvnication Union (ITU-R). They tested variovs configvrations of repeated encoder/decoder chains at different bitrates with a variety of avdio coding algorithms.
MPEG-1 Avdio performed best in this test. On the basis of these tests, ITU-R recommends the vse of MPEG-1 Avdio Layer II for contribvtion (i.e. link between broadcasting stvdios with provisions for post processing), for distribvtion (i.e. link between the broadcasting and transmitter station) and for emission (i.e. final transmission between transmitter and receiver at home). The vse of MPEG-1 Avdio Layer III is recommended for commentary links, i.e. a link for speech signals which are transmitted to the broadcasting station vsing e.g. one B-channel of an ISDN line.
end qvote

And qvess what, the satellite transmissions vse >>>mp2<<<<
So, read it, and then read it again, then maybe google mp2 from a reliable sovrce,
and stop being a hollywood commie type of argving DRM er .

> And quess what, the satellite transmissions use >>>mp2<<<<
> So, read it, and then read it again, then maybe google mp2 from a reliable
> source,
> and stop being a hollywood commie type of arguing DRM er .

WHAT??? Go away.

"ralf" <ralf@net.net> wrote in message
> Need a little understanding, if you can. I never had a AC3 (Dolby) encode
> on
> my Trial TMPGEnc DVD Author v1.6 program (ac3 is not available with trial
> version). My Hauppauge pvr150 card has a hardware encoder onboard and
> captures from dishnet 301 reciever.
>
> pvr150 capture is:
> Video- Mpeg2, video 720x480, 29.97fps, VBR (constant quality) Max 4400kbps
>
> Audio- Mpeg1, audio layer II, 4800Hz Stereo, 384kbps
>
> I authored my MPEG2 captured movies to VOB files (with TMPGEnc DVD Author
> 1.6 trial) and then wrote them to a DVD using NERO 6.6. My stereo (onkyo
> 570
> 5.1) played the DVD as PCM , not as Dolby. Sounded good, (front rear and
> sub). Now with the AC3 plugin for TMPGEnc DVD Author (v1.6 retail version)
> my DVD's play as Dolby Stereo in windows media player v10.0 and on the
> OnKyo
> stereo system (5.1).
>
> My problem is, I really dont hear any significant difference between pcm
> or
> dolby. Is there any???.

PCM is not compressed. AC3 is compressed. If you hear no difference, then
there is none.

> "Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On a sunny day (Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:18:21 -0600) it happened "Ken Maltby"
>> <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in <ZuKdnZa2bKuJM6nfRVn-tA@giganews.com>:
>>

>>>"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> Sometimes I wonder if your brain is wired correctly, your
>>>logic is not linear.
>> Oh yes, but you have not tried have you?
>> Try putting a PAL mpeg2 movie from satellite (what OP likely has),
>> in one of those cheapo DVD programs (that come with the burners).
>> Chances are that it will demux the mpeg, decode the mp2, and make
>> a DVD with PCM audio.
>> So read again what I wrote, exactly that.
>>
>>> The audio format mp2 is included in the overall MPEG license,
>>>and is relatively cheap. The AC3 Dolby Digital format is a whole
>>>other story.
>> That is what I wrote.
>>
>>>It costs nothing more for an Author program to use
>>>mp2 or PCM formats. The only reason to convert from mp2 to
>>>PCM is for one of those mythical NTSC DVD players that can't
>>>do mp2.
>> Then why do they do it?
>>
>>>So far I've never found a creditable source or anyone
>>>who can provide a make and model for such a player.
>> That would not be a DVD player, at least not in Europe.
>>
>> So then the only other reason could be that the programmers
>> had no clue.
>> That is to be expected with closed source software.
>>
>> So, however you slice it, the guy waisted money, it can be
>> done very well in Linux for free:
>> http://panteltje.com/panteltje/dvd/
>>

> What can be done? The op's (the guy's) question was
> about the difference between what he originally had and
> AC3. Even if somewhere in the process the mp2 was
> rendered as PCM, which does sound like something
> Nero's "NeroVision" would do, it could only contain,
> at the most, the amount of audio data as was in the
> mp2 created by his hardware encoder. So the only
> comparison that reflects the OP's situation is between
> mp2 and AC3.
>
> He wasn't asking how to do something, for free or
> otherwise.
>

>> If you think you know more about it, write some soft yourself.
>
> Actually, I was writing software in the mid to late 60's, FORTRAN,
> and Assembler, mostly. But what is this "it" that I may or may
> not know more about?
>
> Luck;
> Ken

ken.. you're wasting your time.