How would you rate these MPEG-2 Editors

pat

Expert

How would you rate the following MPEG-2 Editors in their power,
sophistication, and abilities to edit Mpeg-2 video and create the best
quality? I have arranged them in roughly the order of best to worst, but I
want to know what others think.

(1) M2-Edit Pro

(2) Womble MPEG Video Wizard

(3) Canopus Edius

(4) Tmpgenc Mpeg Editor

(5) Canopus MpegCraft

"Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How would you rate the following MPEG-2 Editors in their power,
> sophistication, and abilities to edit Mpeg-2 video and create the best
> quality? I have arranged them in roughly the order of best to worst, but I
> want to know what others think.
>

> (1) M2-Edit Pro
>
> (2) Womble MPEG Video Wizard
>
> (3) Canopus Edius
>
> (4) Tmpgenc Mpeg Editor
>
> (5) Canopus MpegCraft

You might want to include the Magix "Movie Edit Pro 10" or
the older "Movie Edit Pro 2004". The new MEP-10 's rating
would be most interesting considering how cheap it is.
www.magix.com

Luck;
Ken

Canopus Edius does not edit Mpeg2. It edits DV and does hardware coding to
Mpeg.

It is a brilliant program, but you need Canopus DV Storm Ultra or the new HD
version of the hardware.

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> How would you rate the following MPEG-2 Editors in their power,
>> sophistication, and abilities to edit Mpeg-2 video and create the best
>> quality? I have arranged them in roughly the order of best to worst, but
>> want to know what others think.
>>

>> (1) M2-Edit Pro
>>
>> (2) Womble MPEG Video Wizard
>>
>> (3) Canopus Edius
>>
>> (4) Tmpgenc Mpeg Editor
>>
>> (5) Canopus MpegCraft
>>

> You might want to include the Magix "Movie Edit Pro 10" or
> the older "Movie Edit Pro 2004". The new MEP-10 's rating
> would be most interesting considering how cheap it is.
> www.magix.com
>
> Luck;
> Ken

P.S. You could have included VideoReDo also, if for no
other reason than its speed and audio sync processing.
www.VideoReDo.com

They have a version 2 beta now also.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:07:14 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> You might want to include the Magix "Movie Edit Pro 10" or
>> the older "Movie Edit Pro 2004". The new MEP-10 's rating
>> would be most interesting considering how cheap it is.
>> www.magix.com
>>
>> Luck;
>> Ken
>>

>P.S. You could have included VideoReDo also, if for no
>other reason than its speed and audio sync processing.
>www.VideoReDo.com
>
> They have a version 2 beta now also.

Video redo is great for cutting out commercials, it has fine edit
control and is very easy to use, output is also fast for my AMD 2000
processor.

Bye for now.

Clive.

Clive Savage wrote:
> Video redo is great for cutting out commercials, it has fine edit
> control and is very easy to use, output is also fast for my AMD
> 2000 processor.

VideoRedo seems to have quite a fan club, in fact, something of a
lobby. I downloaded the trial a few weeks ago. I tried to edit a one-
hour TV show. Unfortunately, the trial is limited to 30 minutes, is it?
Strike one. The resulting video was way out of sync with the audio.
Strike two. For a fifty dollar program, I didn't wait for another pitch--
I just walked. Of course, it is not really an editor, is it?

For trimming my MPEG-2 captures, I am now using a free program
called Mpeg2Schnitt and I couldn't be happier. Want to race?

"Fishface" <invalid@ddress.ok?> wrote in message
> Clive Savage wrote:
>> Video redo is great for cutting out commercials, it has fine edit
>> control and is very easy to use, output is also fast for my AMD
>> 2000 processor.
>
> VideoRedo seems to have quite a fan club, in fact, something of a
> lobby. I downloaded the trial a few weeks ago. I tried to edit a one-
> hour TV show. Unfortunately, the trial is limited to 30 minutes, is it?
> Strike one. The resulting video was way out of sync with the audio.
> Strike two. For a fifty dollar program, I didn't wait for another pitch--
> I just walked. Of course, it is not really an editor, is it?
>
> For trimming my MPEG-2 captures, I am now using a free program
> called Mpeg2Schnitt and I couldn't be happier. Want to race?

So you are aware that it works for "quite a fan club", but it won't
work correctly when you use it? I wonder why that might be the
case? I mean it's not like you had it working correctly and then
found it deficient in some way. No, you couldn't do what so many
others have no problem doing.

LoL;
Ken

"Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message
> Canopus Edius does not edit Mpeg2. It edits DV and does hardware coding
> to Mpeg.
>
> It is a brilliant program, but you need Canopus DV Storm Ultra or the new
> HD version of the hardware.

I have no idea where you got your info from Alpha but Edius DEFINITELY DOES
edit Mpeg from version 2 onwards! I can't comment on version 1 or 1.5 but
have been using it since version 2 (OHCI compatible) with no problems with
Mpeg.

An excellent editor however if you want a cheap simple editing nle then i'd
look elsewhere - it can do loads and in real-time but your talking £200-£300
minimum to buy!

In <p-qdncPf67kZ8avfRVn-jA@giganews.com>, on 03/14/2005
at 11:03 PM, "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> said:

>> VideoRedo seems to have quite a fan club, in fact, something of a
>> lobby. I downloaded the trial a few weeks ago. I tried to edit a one-
>> hour TV show. Unfortunately, the trial is limited to 30 minutes, is it?
>> Strike one. The resulting video was way out of sync with the audio.
>> Strike two. For a fifty dollar program, I didn't wait for another pitch--
>> I just walked. Of course, it is not really an editor, is it?

> So you are aware that it works for "quite a fan club", but it won't work
>correctly when you use it? I wonder why that might be the case? I mean
>it's not like you had it working correctly and then found it deficient in
>some way. No, you couldn't do what so many others have no problem doing.

Weird how this happens sometimes ... a person has extreme trouble with
something that seems quite easy and intuitive to others. Sometimes it's
just a matter of taste, of preference, or simply of what you're used to and
this expect. At other times there might be a personal involvement; for
example, an author mentioning his wares, or some friend of his.

Whatever the case, I used VideoReDo for almost the entire trial period with
no problems editing and saving hour long recordings with commercials (this
is the "normal" length for me). In fact, I KNOW I carved 2 hours out of
much longer recording and it saved just fine.

At first, my video and audio were minorly out of sync. But instead of
whining about it and counting "strikes", I asked here, and then in the
VideoReDo support forum. I was asked for a source video sample, and the
problem (which ended up being Sonic's Showtime DVD 2's conversion of dvr-ms
files at the wrong frame rate) was not only explained to me, but the simple
workaround was provided. I've been in synch ever since! :)

It would appear to be an editor to me. Dunno what the OP is getting at
there. Well worth the $50, as I paid it and have another referal sale to my
credit. I'm extremely happy, yet I have no affiliation with this program
other than being a happy user. I tried many things, VideoReDo was several
lengths ahead of the pack.

He only counted 2 strikes ... then he walked? Seems sort of like odd
scoring to me. To each his own.

I've downloaded the 2.0 beta but have yet to try it. I've got to do that.

Nick

pat

Expert

"Paul Harrison" <mail@paulharrison.f9.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have no idea where you got your info from Alpha but Edius DEFINITELY
DOES
> edit Mpeg from version 2 onwards! I can't comment on version 1 or 1.5 but
> have been using it since version 2 (OHCI compatible) with no problems with
> Mpeg.
>
> An excellent editor however if you want a cheap simple editing nle then
i'd
> look elsewhere - it can do loads and in real-time but your talking
£200-£300
> minimum to buy!

I have used Edius 2.5 ($600) and it does have MPEG-2 editing capability.
http://www.canopus.us/US/products/EDIUS2.5/pm_EDIUS2.5.asp

The M2-Edit Pro ($1600) is considered by some to be the Rolls Royce of
Mpeg-2 Editors.
http://www.softdepia.com/m2-edit_pro_download_506.html
http://www.topshareware.com/M2-edit-Pro-download-89.htm

I am primarily interested in quality, speed, and pin point accuracy of
editing to the frame without sacrificing quality.

> The M2-Edit Pro ($1600) is considered by some to be the Rolls Royce of
> Mpeg-2 Editors.
> http://www.softdepia.com/m2-edit_pro_download_506.html
> http://www.topshareware.com/M2-edit-Pro-download-89.htm

Not by those who've actually used the s/w. <g> The move from M2 Edit Pro to
Womble was the second best change I've made in video editing s/w, with the
move to Premier Pro from Pinnacle the best.

> I am primarily interested in quality, speed, and pin point accuracy of
> editing to the frame without sacrificing quality.

While Re-Do has a rather fanatical following in this ng, it remains in the
same league as Womble, no better and probably no worse.

Ken Maltby wrote:
> So you are aware that it works for "quite a fan club", but it won't
> work correctly when you use it? I wonder why that might be the
> case? I mean it's not like you had it working correctly and then
> found it deficient in some way. No, you couldn't do what so many
> others have no problem doing.

Oh, hey, look at the number one FAQ:
http://www.drdsystems.com/VideoReDo/FAQs.htm
Maybe it just didn't like the files produced by my VideoMate.

> LoL;

Laughing at me, or just laughing? A quick Google groups search for
your name and VideoRedo shows over two hundred messages. That
seems just a bit excessive for a simply satisfied user. Are you are on
the payroll?

> Ken Maltby wrote:
>> So you are aware that it works for "quite a fan club", but it won't
>> work correctly when you use it? I wonder why that might be the
>> case? I mean it's not like you had it working correctly and then
>> found it deficient in some way. No, you couldn't do what so many
>> others have no problem doing.
>
> Oh, hey, look at the number one FAQ:
> http://www.drdsystems.com/VideoReDo/FAQs.htm
> Maybe it just didn't like the files produced by my VideoMate.
>
>> LoL;
>
> Laughing at me, or just laughing? A quick Google groups search for
> your name and VideoRedo shows over two hundred messages. That
> seems just a bit excessive for a simply satisfied user. Are you are on
> the payroll?

If you know how Google works, then such a large number
should come as no surprise. How many of them are actually
my posts? For instance if you were to do your search again
both this post and yours preceding it would be counted.

I have been on no one's payroll for the last 12 years. I retired
at 46. So I have no financial interest in VideoReDo or TMPGEnc
or any other products I have found to work well. Most of the
time I hear that charge it's from the "You can't do frame accurate
cuts in MPEG" crowd. They are the same people who claim that
simple cuts are "not Real Editing after all". You know, the "You
will get terrible results if you try to edit MPEG" people. Those
who say that you can "Only" get good results if your video spends
some time as AVI/DV. You Know who Those People are, don't
You?

Luck;
Ken

Ken Maltby wrote:
> I have been on no one's payroll for the last 12 years. I retired
> at 46. So I have no financial interest in VideoReDo or TMPGEnc
> or any other products I have found to work well. Most of the
> time I hear that charge it's from the "You can't do frame accurate
> cuts in MPEG" crowd. They are the same people who claim that
> simple cuts are "not Real Editing after all". You know, the "You
> will get terrible results if you try to edit MPEG" people. Those
> who say that you can "Only" get good results if your video spends
> some time as AVI/DV. You Know who Those People are, don't
> You?

Well, I guess the answer to the question of whether a simple MPEG-2
editor is suitable for editing would depend upon what all you want to
do to the video, now, wouldn't it? The purpose of my original post
was to report my experience with VRD and to inform of a suitable
free alternative. But it seems that you took it personally, for some
reason, as did your theorist friend. "Weird how this happens,
sometimes." Weird how various hardware and software encoders
can produce files that are not structurally identical? I don't think so.

If it hasn't been noted, VirtualDub MPEG version works great for editing
clips on a basic level.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:09:00 -0800, David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu>
wrote:

>If it hasn't been noted, VirtualDub MPEG version works great for editing
>clips on a basic level.

But it doesn't output mpeg -unless, of ocurse, if you use Ympeg, but
that means a complete re-coding. What is asked from a true mpeg-2
Editor is that it outputs mpeg, after recoding only the orphan frames.