Horizontal distortion (banding?)...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 14, 2005 4:50:53 PM

Hello,

I recently "acquired" a Sony DCR-TEV120 video camera.
The camera works fine except that there is a constant horizontal distortion
(consisting of blurred "bars") across the image.
Is this called "banding"?
Anyway, before I bring the camera to a pro to check out, I would like to
know if anyone here has any tips on how I could solve this myself?

E.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 4:50:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video (More info?)

I have a TRV-320 which is a sister camera to yours - they share the same
operators manual.

I can't recall this camera ever doing anything like what you describe.

Care to elaborate?

What do you mean "bars?" If you had a perfectly white or black image in
frame, would they be apparent at all?

Does this happen on all subjects, static and moving?

Need more details.

I suggestion reseting your camera to factory stock (look in the manual or
remove the clock battery and the main battery and disconnect from power)
This way we're starting with a known quantity.

Make sure the lens is CLEAN and then put a UV filter over it for protection.
Use a brand new video tape marked "Digital8" use.

Playback using the S-video port or do a Firewire transfer to see if tha
actual footage is corrupt or it's a playback issue with the camera LCD or
viewfinder.

C.

"Ed" <allmyjunkisstored@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:p 5ydnRRYwJE1FajfRVnysQ@edpnet.net...
> Hello,
>
> I recently "acquired" a Sony DCR-TEV120 video camera.
> The camera works fine except that there is a constant horizontal
> distortion (consisting of blurred "bars") across the image.
> Is this called "banding"?
> Anyway, before I bring the camera to a pro to check out, I would like to
> know if anyone here has any tips on how I could solve this myself?
>
> E.

March 14, 2005 8:19:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video (More info?)

OK, when recording I get a perfect picture on the LCD screen but when I
playback en view the recording (either on the small LCD or after exporting
the recording) it has horizontal pixelated bars three quarters across the
screen starting from the left.
This happens to all objects.

I'll reset the camera to factory stock and see what happens..

E.

"C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote in message
news:o fadnZHO_NeKM6jfRVn-iA@rogers.com...
>I have a TRV-320 which is a sister camera to yours - they share the same
>operators manual.
>
> I can't recall this camera ever doing anything like what you describe.
>
> Care to elaborate?
>
> What do you mean "bars?" If you had a perfectly white or black image in
> frame, would they be apparent at all?
>
> Does this happen on all subjects, static and moving?
>
> Need more details.
>
> I suggestion reseting your camera to factory stock (look in the manual or
> remove the clock battery and the main battery and disconnect from power)
> This way we're starting with a known quantity.
>
> Make sure the lens is CLEAN and then put a UV filter over it for
> protection.
> Use a brand new video tape marked "Digital8" use.
>
> Playback using the S-video port or do a Firewire transfer to see if tha
> actual footage is corrupt or it's a playback issue with the camera LCD or
> viewfinder.
>
> C.
>

> "Ed" <allmyjunkisstored@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:p 5ydnRRYwJE1FajfRVnysQ@edpnet.net...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I recently "acquired" a Sony DCR-TEV120 video camera.
>> The camera works fine except that there is a constant horizontal
>> distortion (consisting of blurred "bars") across the image.
>> Is this called "banding"?
>> Anyway, before I bring the camera to a pro to check out, I would like to
>> know if anyone here has any tips on how I could solve this myself?
>>
>> E.

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 8:19:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video (More info?)

AH! This is helpful.

You mention having a perfect picture displayed while recording - this leads
me to believe it isn't a "feature" that needs reseting (eg: a picture
effect, night mode etc)

Could be an issue with the tape, record or playback heads. Still, give the
camera a fresh tape and reset it to factory settings. See what happens.

There's a feature for enabling D8 recording (the other option is analog I
believe). You might test record something in all the different modes and
then playback.

One more thing: find another Digital 8 camera (go to BestBuy). Record
something with yours, record something with the other camera, same NEW tape.
Play back in both. You'll be able to track down a record or playback head
problem. Understand the methodology?

!