Dropped Frames - What's wrong?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 14, 2005 10:15:57 PM

I am newbie that is experiencing lots of dropped frames (25% and up) and
some blocky pixelation when I create my DVDs. Here is my set-up:

- 5-year old 8mm tapes from an analog Sony cam (CCD-TR416)
- 1.7 GHz proc
- 512MB RAM
- 120 GB 7200rpm separate hard drive for capture
- Avermedia EZMaker PCI capture card
- Capture and edit using Windows Movie Maker (also tried neoDVD and Nero
Vision Express with no better results).

I know this is definitely a budget set-up, but I'm just not sure what piece
is failing me. Can someone point me in the right direction or tell me what I
should upgrade?

Thanks,
-Bryant

More about : dropped frames wrong

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 10:15:58 PM

I notice the TRV-416 is analog. If you were using a Digital8, I'd recommend
getting a Firewire card and using it - Firewire is largely independant of
computer CPU whereas an analog capture relies on computer horsepower. Your
system isn't "overly-budget" though Bryant - you should be able to get by
with it.

I'm going to assume the tapes you have are still in good condition. All
magnetic media degrades with time. Make sure it hasn't by outputting to a TV
from the camera. If the source of your dropped frames is the tape, there's
little you can do on your own. (outside help, higher end gear needed)

Per others recommendations, disable EVERYTHING you possibly can on your
computer. Disconnect the network, turn off virus protection and firewalls.

On my current system, if something "pops up" like a "your virus protection
has been updated..." the capture will stop (I have it set to stop on dropped
frames) I'm using Firewire but the principle is the same.

If you haven't downloaded and run Microsoft Antispyware, do it now. Same for
antivirus software.
Run Windows update and ensure you don't have any out of date drivers. Bring
up your

If you have Windows Movie Maker, I'd keep using it. (WMM2 came with my
system and I occassionally use it for capture though I edit in Premiere)
It's at least "mainstream" and probably eliminates compatibility issues of
lesser known 3rd party software.

Most important: Google your hardware to ensure nobody else has already
posted similar problems somewhere. If they have, they may have a solution or
you may decide you need to make some hardware changes.

Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

C.

"Bryant Hankins" <bryanthankins@_NO_SPAM_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am newbie that is experiencing lots of dropped frames (25% and up) and
>some blocky pixelation when I create my DVDs. Here is my set-up:
>
> - 5-year old 8mm tapes from an analog Sony cam (CCD-TR416)
> - 1.7 GHz proc
> - 512MB RAM
> - 120 GB 7200rpm separate hard drive for capture
> - Avermedia EZMaker PCI capture card
> - Capture and edit using Windows Movie Maker (also tried neoDVD and Nero
> Vision Express with no better results).
>
> I know this is definitely a budget set-up, but I'm just not sure what
> piece is failing me. Can someone point me in the right direction or tell
> me what I should upgrade?
>
> Thanks,
> -Bryant

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 10:15:58 PM

I believe that you are capturing to AVI DV format with the EZMaker PCI
card. The Pro version includes a hardware encoder, reducing
drastically the amount of resources required by your computer.

My setup is not unlike yours, with an extra 160gb hard drive. I use a
Pinnacle Movie Box USB 2.0 mpeg2 encoder, and a copy of Video Redo to
fix any capture problems. I get very good results.

Cheers...

Bryant Hankins wrote:
> I am newbie that is experiencing lots of dropped frames (25% and up)
and
> some blocky pixelation when I create my DVDs. Here is my set-up:
>
> - 5-year old 8mm tapes from an analog Sony cam (CCD-TR416)
> - 1.7 GHz proc
> - 512MB RAM
> - 120 GB 7200rpm separate hard drive for capture
> - Avermedia EZMaker PCI capture card
> - Capture and edit using Windows Movie Maker (also tried neoDVD and
Nero
> Vision Express with no better results).
>
> I know this is definitely a budget set-up, but I'm just not sure what
piece
> is failing me. Can someone point me in the right direction or tell me
what I
> should upgrade?
>
> Thanks,
> -Bryant
March 14, 2005 10:44:11 PM

Try turning off all USB peripherals including a cable modem.

Jeanne

"Bryant Hankins" <bryanthankins@_NO_SPAM_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am newbie that is experiencing lots of dropped frames (25% and up) and
> some blocky pixelation when I create my DVDs. Here is my set-up:

March 15, 2005 3:42:48 PM

I also had a problem with drop frames using Adobe Premiere Pro. My
system spec is as follows:

3Ghz AMD 64bit Athlon [Winchester core]
512 Mbytes RAM
320 Gybtes hard drive space using RAID 1

So i'm not entirely sure that your system spec is at fault! Even
upgrading to 1024 Mbytes RAM did not improve the situation, although i
have to admint that i did not try turning everything off [virus,
firewall etc] but on a system of this speed i would not thought it
necessary.

Using a DV camcorder and firewire everything is fine. But my problem
only occurs when trying to capture from a VHS video recorder. I used an
old WinTV board to capture video and a Creative Labs Audigy LS to
capture sound - thereby removing the overhead on the processor of sound
capture.

Have finally given up and decided to buy a new graphics card
incorporating VIVO - any suggestions anyone????
!