How to "enhance" camcorder resolution

jt

I use a couple of PD150's primarily to tape amateur stage plays and
choral performances. The camera seems like a reasonable choice, with
fair-sized 380k CCD's and decent low-light performance, and in general
I'm happy with it. My biggest gripe is with lack of resolution on
faces on wide shots. I eventually realized that the camera's native
resolution of about 720 x 500 pixels allows only about 25 x 25 pixels
for a face that happens to be about 5% of the frame width. That's not
unusual in a wide shot covering action spread across a stage, or a
large or less than tightly packed chorus.

What does one do about this situation, other than avoiding wide shots?
Of course motion tends to delude the eye, but there are plenty of
times (especially with choral groups) where there's not much dynamic
going on.

JT wrote:
> I use a couple of PD150's primarily to tape amateur stage plays and
> choral performances. The camera seems like a reasonable choice, with
> fair-sized 380k CCD's and decent low-light performance, and in general
> I'm happy with it. My biggest gripe is with lack of resolution on
> faces on wide shots. I eventually realized that the camera's native
> resolution of about 720 x 500 pixels allows only about 25 x 25 pixels
> for a face that happens to be about 5% of the frame width. That's not
> unusual in a wide shot covering action spread across a stage, or a
> large or less than tightly packed chorus.
>
> What does one do about this situation, other than avoiding wide shots?
> Of course motion tends to delude the eye, but there are plenty of
> times (especially with choral groups) where there's not much dynamic
> going on.

Unfortunately, the only way to get better footage is to step up to a higher
($$) level of camera (i.e. larger CCDs and a better lens). I use my JVC 550
to shoot similar events and I guarantee that my shots will show detail where
yours won't. I'm not bragging, just pointing out simple facts. Put my
camera up against a high-end bradcast camera and I'll definitely lose. You
do get what you pay for.

Mike

jt

I don't doubt your comparison, except that unless your focal plane has
more than 720x500 pixels (per color) I don't see how a better lens
will help. That face will still fall on about 25x25 pixels. Care to
elaborate?

"Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>JT wrote:
>> I use a couple of PD150's primarily to tape amateur stage plays and
>> choral performances. The camera seems like a reasonable choice, with
>> fair-sized 380k CCD's and decent low-light performance, and in general
>> I'm happy with it. My biggest gripe is with lack of resolution on
>> faces on wide shots. I eventually realized that the camera's native
>> resolution of about 720 x 500 pixels allows only about 25 x 25 pixels
>> for a face that happens to be about 5% of the frame width. That's not
>> unusual in a wide shot covering action spread across a stage, or a
>> large or less than tightly packed chorus.
>>
>> What does one do about this situation, other than avoiding wide shots?
>> Of course motion tends to delude the eye, but there are plenty of
>> times (especially with choral groups) where there's not much dynamic
>> going on.
>

>Unfortunately, the only way to get better footage is to step up to a higher
>($$) level of camera (i.e. larger CCDs and a better lens). I use my JVC 550
>to shoot similar events and I guarantee that my shots will show detail where
>yours won't. I'm not bragging, just pointing out simple facts. Put my
>camera up against a high-end bradcast camera and I'll definitely lose. You
>do get what you pay for.
>
>Mike

TRENDING THREADS