iPaq 5450 WiFi Problems HELP!!!!

May 30, 2004 11:50:57 PM

I am trying to help a friend of mine,

He has an iPaq 5450 which he has upgraded to Pocket PC 2003, the problem is
he cannot access networks using WiFi, the connection to the network appears
to be good but there seems to be an issue obtaining an IP address by DHCP,
the machine claims that it has an address of 169.254.141.65, DHCP server
255.255.255.255 which is obviously wrong. I have tried to enter the IP
address manually but can still not Ping my router or any of my networked
PCs.... Suggestions?

Matt
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 11:50:58 PM

Is the wireless SSID and WEP key configured properly on the device to match the access point? Try
disabling WEP on both the access point and PocketPC as a first step in troubleshooting.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Matt Packwood" <MattPackwood@cs.com> wrote in message news:enP60DqREHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>I am trying to help a friend of mine,
>
> He has an iPaq 5450 which he has upgraded to Pocket PC 2003, the problem is
> he cannot access networks using WiFi, the connection to the network appears
> to be good but there seems to be an issue obtaining an IP address by DHCP,
> the machine claims that it has an address of 169.254.141.65, DHCP server
> 255.255.255.255 which is obviously wrong. I have tried to enter the IP
> address manually but can still not Ping my router or any of my networked
> PCs.... Suggestions?
>
> Matt

---
May 30, 2004 11:50:58 PM

That IP address is the address it will default to when it cannot access a
signal to get a DHCP server assigned IP address. If the router/AP that you
are trying to access is using MAC filtering, then it would cause the
phenomenon that you are seeing.

Bobby

"Matt Packwood" <MattPackwood@cs.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to help a friend of mine,
>
> He has an iPaq 5450 which he has upgraded to Pocket PC 2003, the problem
> is
> he cannot access networks using WiFi, the connection to the network
> appears
> to be good but there seems to be an issue obtaining an IP address by DHCP,
> the machine claims that it has an address of 169.254.141.65, DHCP server
> 255.255.255.255 which is obviously wrong. I have tried to enter the IP
> address manually but can still not Ping my router or any of my networked
> PCs.... Suggestions?
>
> Matt

May 31, 2004 5:22:53 PM

The connection says it is connected (it accepted my WEP key), I have a
FLASHING green light the "Configure Wireless Networks" says
"Connected"..... 5 Bars....

Am I missing something?

Matt

"NoNoBadDog!" <nospam_bjsledge@pixi.com> wrote in message
> That IP address is the address it will default to when it cannot access a
> signal to get a DHCP server assigned IP address. If the router/AP that
you
> are trying to access is using MAC filtering, then it would cause the
> phenomenon that you are seeing.
>
> Bobby
>
> "Matt Packwood" <MattPackwood@cs.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to help a friend of mine,
> >
> > He has an iPaq 5450 which he has upgraded to Pocket PC 2003, the problem
> > is
> > he cannot access networks using WiFi, the connection to the network
> > appears
> > to be good but there seems to be an issue obtaining an IP address by
DHCP,
> > the machine claims that it has an address of 169.254.141.65, DHCP server
> > 255.255.255.255 which is obviously wrong. I have tried to enter the IP
> > address manually but can still not Ping my router or any of my networked
> > PCs.... Suggestions?
> >
> > Matt

Anonymous
May 31, 2004 5:23:46 PM

Yep, correct SSID and no WEP.

Matt

news:o oLcJJqREHA.1644@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Is the wireless SSID and WEP key configured properly on the device to
match the access point? Try
> disabling WEP on both the access point and PocketPC as a first step in
troubleshooting.

> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

> "Matt Packwood" <MattPackwood@cs.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to help a friend of mine,
> >
> > He has an iPaq 5450 which he has upgraded to Pocket PC 2003, the problem
is
> > he cannot access networks using WiFi, the connection to the network
appears
> > to be good but there seems to be an issue obtaining an IP address by
DHCP,
> > the machine claims that it has an address of 169.254.141.65, DHCP server
> > 255.255.255.255 which is obviously wrong. I have tried to enter the IP
> > address manually but can still not Ping my router or any of my networked
> > PCs.... Suggestions?
> >
> > Matt
> >

> ---

May 31, 2004 9:18:15 PM

buy (download a trial) of pocketwinc - it makes the whole process much more
transparent. First step is to stop and re-start the wifi connection - mine
routinely (10% of the time) doesn't get a good connection straight off.

"Matt Packwood" <MattPackwood@cs.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to help a friend of mine,
>
> He has an iPaq 5450 which he has upgraded to Pocket PC 2003, the problem
is
> he cannot access networks using WiFi, the connection to the network
appears
> to be good but there seems to be an issue obtaining an IP address by DHCP,
> the machine claims that it has an address of 169.254.141.65, DHCP server
> 255.255.255.255 which is obviously wrong. I have tried to enter the IP
> address manually but can still not Ping my router or any of my networked
> PCs.... Suggestions?
>
> Matt

Anonymous
May 31, 2004 9:18:16 PM

Is that for the wireless or the DHCP (I have vxUtil).

Matt

!