Wireless Zero Configuration service not starting.

When I try to manually start this service on my XP SP2 machine, I get this
error message:

"Could not start the Wireless Zero Configuration service on Local Computer.
Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or
because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

I have my drivers for the wireless card installed properly, so what can I do
to fix this problem so that I can start this service?

Thanks!

This can be result of activity of 3rd party software installed with your wireless card.
Unfortunately some these "utilities" can't do any better than disabling the service.
--PA

"I need help" <I need help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to manually start this service on my XP SP2 machine, I get this
> error message:
>
> "Could not start the Wireless Zero Configuration service on Local Computer.
> Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or
> because it has no enabled devices associated with it."
>
> I have my drivers for the wireless card installed properly, so what can I do
> to fix this problem so that I can start this service?
>
> Thanks!

When I removed the software that came with the card, I was still unable to
restart the service.

Did you check the Event Viewer? If not, check the Event Viewer and see if
there is any relevant error messages. Click Start, Control Panel,
Performance and Maintenance, Administrative Tools, and then click Event
Viewer. For more details, see the following MS KB Article. Details here.

How To View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427

Check the Services, click Start, Run, and type "services.msc" - without
quotes and scroll down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and check the status
for it.

_____________
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

> When I removed the software that came with the card, I was still unable to
> restart the service.

Hi Eric,

There are no error messages associated with the Wireless Zero Configuration
service.

I checked the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and it was allready running since
bootup.

Mike

"Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:

> Did you check the Event Viewer? If not, check the Event Viewer and see if
> there is any relevant error messages. Click Start, Control Panel,
> Performance and Maintenance, Administrative Tools, and then click Event
> Viewer. For more details, see the following MS KB Article. Details here.
>
> How To View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427
>
> Check the Services, click Start, Run, and type "services.msc" - without
> quotes and scroll down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and check the status
> for it.
>
> _____________
> Eric Cross
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>

> "I need help" <Ineedhelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I removed the software that came with the card, I was still unable to
> > restart the service.

tanya

Go to regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WZCSVC

add a DWORD entry named "Start" and
value "2"
"2" is automatic.
In the jhelp files in Computer Management all the Services are listed for
the default settings look there if you have been messing with Services.
Reboot if you change anything.
> Hi Eric,
>
> There are no error messages associated with the Wireless Zero
> Configuration
> service.
>
> I checked the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and it was allready running
> since
> bootup.
>
> Mike
>

> "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Did you check the Event Viewer? If not, check the Event Viewer and see if
>> there is any relevant error messages. Click Start, Control Panel,
>> Performance and Maintenance, Administrative Tools, and then click Event
>> Viewer. For more details, see the following MS KB Article. Details here.
>>
>> How To View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427
>>
>> Check the Services, click Start, Run, and type "services.msc" - without
>> quotes and scroll down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and check the
>> status
>> for it.
>>
>> _____________
>> Eric Cross
>> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>

>> "I need help" <Ineedhelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I removed the software that came with the card, I was still unable
>> > restart the service.

Hi Mike,

What kind network card do you have installed?

_____________
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"I need help" <Ineedhelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Eric,
>
> There are no error messages associated with the Wireless Zero
> Configuration
> service.
>
> I checked the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and it was allready running
> since
> bootup.
>
> Mike
>

> "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Did you check the Event Viewer? If not, check the Event Viewer and see if
>> there is any relevant error messages. Click Start, Control Panel,
>> Performance and Maintenance, Administrative Tools, and then click Event
>> Viewer. For more details, see the following MS KB Article. Details here.
>>
>> How To View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427
>>
>> Check the Services, click Start, Run, and type "services.msc" - without
>> quotes and scroll down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and check the
>> status
>> for it.
>>
>> _____________
>> Eric Cross
>> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>

>> "I need help" <Ineedhelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I removed the software that came with the card, I was still unable
>> > restart the service.

Ok then what happens if you type in "dos" window:
SC start wzcsvc
then
SC queryex wzcsvc

--PA

"I need help" <Ineedhelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3EFDCB6C-0AB7-4359-8B8B-181EE7CEE90E@microsoft.com...
> Hi Eric,
>
> There are no error messages associated with the Wireless Zero Configuration
> service.
>
> I checked the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and it was allready running since
> bootup.
>
> Mike
>

> "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Did you check the Event Viewer? If not, check the Event Viewer and see if
> > there is any relevant error messages. Click Start, Control Panel,
> > Performance and Maintenance, Administrative Tools, and then click Event
> > Viewer. For more details, see the following MS KB Article. Details here.
> >
> > How To View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427
> >
> > Check the Services, click Start, Run, and type "services.msc" - without
> > quotes and scroll down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and check the status
> > for it.
> >
> > _____________
> > Eric Cross
> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >

> > "I need help" <Ineedhelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > When I removed the software that came with the card, I was still unable to
> > > restart the service.

tanya

The path is either (systemroot) orC:\windows\inf\netwzc.inf. Click Open.
Then click OK. Choose Wireless Zero Configuration. Click OK. Restart the
system. Then it will show up in Services.msc. It is already started. If it
won't stay started Regedit will do that or you have something conflicting
like running the wireless Network Manager Software at the same time. You
have to use one or the other not both.
"Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
> Ok then what happens if you type in "dos" window:
> SC start wzcsvc
> then
> SC queryex wzcsvc
>
> --PA
>

> "I need help" <Ineedhelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> There are no error messages associated with the Wireless Zero
>> Configuration
>> service.
>>
>> I checked the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and it was allready running
>> since
>> bootup.
>>
>> Mike
>>

>> "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>> > Did you check the Event Viewer? If not, check the Event Viewer and see
>> > if
>> > there is any relevant error messages. Click Start, Control Panel,
>> > Performance and Maintenance, Administrative Tools, and then click Event
>> > Viewer. For more details, see the following MS KB Article. Details
>> > here.
>> >
>> > How To View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427
>> >
>> > Check the Services, click Start, Run, and type "services.msc" - without
>> > quotes and scroll down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and check the
>> > status
>> > for it.
>> >
>> > _____________
>> > Eric Cross
>> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
>> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>> >

>> > "I need help" <Ineedhelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Network Card:
Asus 802.11b WiFi motherboard addin card

When happened when I tried to start it in dos using SC start wzcsvc ?
I got the same error message:
Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or
because it has no enabled devices associated with it

What happened then when I tried to check its status using SC queryex wzcsvc
?
Along with a bunch of other info, the STATE :1 STOPPED

I couldn't find the netwzc.inf file.

It is allready setup to automatically start at bootup, but it still doesn't.
Strange this is this WAS working a few days ago, then when I rebooted I was
no longer able to start the service. I was always able to start the service
manually with the Asus software running at the same time, but now I can't.
Wireless connection is a big NO if the Asus software is on or off with or
without WZC. It doesn't work with WZC running alone.

I don't think it is a conflict because no other wireless software is running
or started durinig bootup. Which I don't think it would matter anyways
because it ran fine with the Asus software before I booted up.

The error message "The service cannot be started, either because it is
disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it" seems
straight forward. When disabled, starting it up does no good, so it must
have no enbled devices associated with it, right? So how hard is it to
associate something to it?

Mike

tanya

There you go you are using the Asus Network software so it us turning off
WZC. If you want to use WZC then open the wireless network card properties
put a check next to Use windows to configure my wireless network settings.
Don't use the Asus Network Manager. You can't use both to run the network.
Just disable WZC. Then there is no conflict.
In order to see the inf folder you have to unhide files in Folder
Options>View.
> Network Card:
> Asus 802.11b WiFi motherboard addin card
>

> When happened when I tried to start it in dos using SC start wzcsvc ?
> I got the same error message:
> Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled
> or
> because it has no enabled devices associated with it
>
> What happened then when I tried to check its status using SC queryex
> wzcsvc
> ?
> Along with a bunch of other info, the STATE :1 STOPPED
>

> I couldn't find the netwzc.inf file.
>
> It is allready setup to automatically start at bootup, but it still
> doesn't.
> Strange this is this WAS working a few days ago, then when I rebooted I
> was
> no longer able to start the service. I was always able to start the
> service
> manually with the Asus software running at the same time, but now I can't.
> Wireless connection is a big NO if the Asus software is on or off with or
> without WZC. It doesn't work with WZC running alone.
>
> I don't think it is a conflict because no other wireless software is
> running
> or started durinig bootup. Which I don't think it would matter anyways
> because it ran fine with the Asus software before I booted up.
>
> The error message "The service cannot be started, either because it is
> disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it" seems
> straight forward. When disabled, starting it up does no good, so it must
> have no enbled devices associated with it, right? So how hard is it to
> associate something to it?
>
> Mike

PMBI, but I am having similar problems with an on-board Intel PRO/Wireless
LAN 2100 3B. However I can't find the "Use Windows to configure my wireless
setting" button. Could you give a bit more detail as my old grey cells
aren't up to this?

--
Regards
Bob Peel,

"Tanya" <thanson@NO_SPAM.net> wrote in message
> There you go you are using the Asus Network software so it us turning off
> WZC. If you want to use WZC then open the wireless network card properties
> put a check next to Use windows to configure my wireless network settings.
> Don't use the Asus Network Manager. You can't use both to run the network.
> Just disable WZC. Then there is no conflict.
> In order to see the inf folder you have to unhide files in Folder
> Options>View.
> "I need help" <Ineedhelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Network Card:
>> Asus 802.11b WiFi motherboard addin card
>>

>> When happened when I tried to start it in dos using SC start wzcsvc ?
>> I got the same error message:
>> Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled
>> or
>> because it has no enabled devices associated with it
>>
>> What happened then when I tried to check its status using SC queryex
>> wzcsvc
>> ?
>> Along with a bunch of other info, the STATE :1 STOPPED
>>

>> I couldn't find the netwzc.inf file.
>>
>> It is allready setup to automatically start at bootup, but it still
>> doesn't.
>> Strange this is this WAS working a few days ago, then when I rebooted I
>> was
>> no longer able to start the service. I was always able to start the
>> service
>> manually with the Asus software running at the same time, but now I
>> can't.
>> Wireless connection is a big NO if the Asus software is on or off with or
>> without WZC. It doesn't work with WZC running alone.
>>
>> I don't think it is a conflict because no other wireless software is
>> running
>> or started durinig bootup. Which I don't think it would matter anyways
>> because it ran fine with the Asus software before I booted up.
>>
>> The error message "The service cannot be started, either because it is
>> disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it" seems
>> straight forward. When disabled, starting it up does no good, so it must
>> have no enbled devices associated with it, right? So how hard is it to
>> associate something to it?
>>
>> Mike

tanya

Go into the Network Connections Folder. Go to properties of the wireless
card. I am using WZC there are three tabs at the top of the card properties
and one says wireless network. That is the one. You won't see it if you are
going through the Proset Software. You might see let this tool manage my
wireless network. That means Proset is managing the network.
"Bob Peel, MVP" <Bob_Peel@NO_SPAMkiandra.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> PMBI, but I am having similar problems with an on-board Intel PRO/Wireless
> LAN 2100 3B. However I can't find the "Use Windows to configure my
> wireless setting" button. Could you give a bit more detail as my old grey
> cells aren't up to this?
>
> --
> Regards
> Bob Peel,
>

> "Tanya" <thanson@NO_SPAM.net> wrote in message
>> There you go you are using the Asus Network software so it us turning off
>> WZC. If you want to use WZC then open the wireless network card
>> properties put a check next to Use windows to configure my wireless
>> network settings. Don't use the Asus Network Manager. You can't use both
>> to run the network. Just disable WZC. Then there is no conflict.
>> In order to see the inf folder you have to unhide files in Folder
>> Options>View.
>> "I need help" <Ineedhelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Network Card:
>>> Asus 802.11b WiFi motherboard addin card
>>>

>>> When happened when I tried to start it in dos using SC start wzcsvc ?
>>> I got the same error message:
>>> Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled
>>> or
>>> because it has no enabled devices associated with it
>>>
>>> What happened then when I tried to check its status using SC queryex
>>> wzcsvc
>>> ?
>>> Along with a bunch of other info, the STATE :1 STOPPED
>>>

>>> I couldn't find the netwzc.inf file.
>>>
>>> It is allready setup to automatically start at bootup, but it still
>>> doesn't.
>>> Strange this is this WAS working a few days ago, then when I rebooted I
>>> was
>>> no longer able to start the service. I was always able to start the
>>> service
>>> manually with the Asus software running at the same time, but now I
>>> can't.
>>> Wireless connection is a big NO if the Asus software is on or off with
>>> or
>>> without WZC. It doesn't work with WZC running alone.
>>>
>>> I don't think it is a conflict because no other wireless software is
>>> running
>>> or started durinig bootup. Which I don't think it would matter anyways
>>> because it ran fine with the Asus software before I booted up.
>>>
>>> The error message "The service cannot be started, either because it is
>>> disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it" seems
>>> straight forward. When disabled, starting it up does no good, so it
>>> must
>>> have no enbled devices associated with it, right? So how hard is it to
>>> associate something to it?
>>>
>>> Mike

OK - been there done that and I still have to start WZC manually. If I
connect to my Netgear wireless router it will stay connected. But if I
disconnect then next time I want a wireless connection I have to manually
start WZC.

I have checked that the registry setting is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WZCSVC with Start = 2.

Any other suggestions please?.