Why does IP address work and computer name doesn't?

Ron

Hi

I've successfully connected from home to my work network via VPN (using
QuickVPN from Linksys which came with the router for my office). I can
connect to either of 2 computers at work using Remote Desktop, but only if I
use the internal IP address for them. I can't RD if I use the name the
computer has (i.e. schedule1, schedule2). This is fine for me, but I need
to set this up so someone else can access these 2 computers and they'd be
much more comfortable with the name, rather than typing in a buncha numbers
and dots.

Anyone know why the names wouldn't work? And, how I can get them to work the
same as the IP addresses?

TIA
ron

Ron wrote:
> I've successfully connected from home to my work network via VPN
> (using QuickVPN from Linksys which came with the router for my
> office). I can connect to either of 2 computers at work using Remote
> Desktop, but only if I use the internal IP address for them. I can't
> RD if I use the name the computer has (i.e. schedule1, schedule2). This is
> fine for me, but I need to set this up so someone else can
> access these 2 computers and they'd be much more comfortable with the
> name, rather than typing in a buncha numbers and dots.
>
> Anyone know why the names wouldn't work? And, how I can get them to
> work the same as the IP addresses?

DNS entries.

--
<- Shenan ->

Ron wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've successfully connected from home to my work network via VPN
> (using QuickVPN from Linksys which came with the router for my
> office). I can connect to either of 2 computers at work using Remote
> Desktop, but only if I use the internal IP address for them. I can't
> RD if I use the name the computer has (i.e. schedule1, schedule2).
> This is fine for me, but I need to set this up so someone else can
> access these 2 computers and they'd be much more comfortable with the
> name, rather than typing in a buncha numbers and dots.
>
> Anyone know why the names wouldn't work? And, how I can get them to
> work the same as the IP addresses?
>
> TIA
> ron

You need something to handle name resolution. DNS, WINS, HOSTS files,
whatnot. For the latter, which is the easiest as it involves only your own
client computer, you will unfortunately need static IP addresses on the RD
host computers (or DHCP reservations) as a name-to-IP mapping in a file on
your computer is of no use if the IP address on the host changes.

Ron

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Ron wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I've successfully connected from home to my work network via VPN
>> (using QuickVPN from Linksys which came with the router for my
>> office). I can connect to either of 2 computers at work using Remote
>> Desktop, but only if I use the internal IP address for them. I can't
>> RD if I use the name the computer has (i.e. schedule1, schedule2).
>> This is fine for me, but I need to set this up so someone else can
>> access these 2 computers and they'd be much more comfortable with the
>> name, rather than typing in a buncha numbers and dots.
>>
>> Anyone know why the names wouldn't work? And, how I can get them to
>> work the same as the IP addresses?
>>
>> TIA
>> ron
>
> You need something to handle name resolution. DNS, WINS, HOSTS files,
> whatnot. For the latter, which is the easiest as it involves only your own
> client computer, you will unfortunately need static IP addresses on the RD
> host computers (or DHCP reservations) as a name-to-IP mapping in a file on
> your computer is of no use if the IP address on the host changes.

Static IP address are used on all computers. Any other suggestions?

Ron wrote:
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:%23ClGDR5IFHA.2136@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Ron wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I've successfully connected from home to my work network via VPN
>>> (using QuickVPN from Linksys which came with the router for my
>>> office). I can connect to either of 2 computers at work using
>>> Remote Desktop, but only if I use the internal IP address for them.
>>> I can't RD if I use the name the computer has (i.e. schedule1,
>>> schedule2). This is fine for me, but I need to set this up so
>>> someone else can access these 2 computers and they'd be much more
>>> comfortable with the name, rather than typing in a buncha numbers
>>> and dots.
>>>
>>> Anyone know why the names wouldn't work? And, how I can get them to
>>> work the same as the IP addresses?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> ron
>>
>> You need something to handle name resolution. DNS, WINS, HOSTS files,
>> whatnot. For the latter, which is the easiest as it involves only
>> your own client computer, you will unfortunately need static IP
>> addresses on the RD host computers (or DHCP reservations) as a
>> name-to-IP mapping in a file on your computer is of no use if the IP
>> address on the host changes.
>>

> Static IP address are used on all computers. Any other suggestions?

Yes, use a hosts file as I suggested.

%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Open hosts with notepad

Leave everything in there alone, but add

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx computer1
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx computer2

etc.
Save & close, and then try. All client computers (i.e., remote computers
that need to access computer1 and computer2 via RD, etc) will need this
done.

I have an example hosts file, for my home LAN, on this page...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/LAN/The_Illustrated_Network.html

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in