Need basic software to convert Hi8 tapes & split into DVD-..

I need to convert some old Hi8 tapes into digital format. It looks like DV
format's the way to go, and I have the hardware to do it (Digital8 camcorder
with A/D pass-through, FW card, fast enough PC, etc.). However, I need
software to capture the video and then split it into segments that will fit
on DVD, as this is how I'd like to archive the footage for future use.

I've been using MS Movie Maker (the latest version that comes with XP Pro
SP2), but with mixed results. It captures the videos just fine, but often
crashes when I try to split it into segments, generally as it nears
completion of the splitting process. Is there anything I can do to stop
this, or is there better software to do this? I'm not looking for anything
fancy right now. When I start editing this footage I'll worry about that.
Right now I just need to capture and split to footage. Any suggestions would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kovie
kovie@earthlink.netizen
3 answers Last reply
More about need basic software convert tapes split

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, "Kovie" <kovie@earthlink.netizen> wrote:
    >software to capture the video and then split it into segments that will fit
    >on DVD, as this is how I'd like to archive the footage for future use.

    Free demo to try, then buy if it works with your system
    http://www.scenalyzer.com/main.html

    John Thomas Smith
    http://www.direct2usales.com
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    You can capture using just about anything out there, from the free basic
    DV video capture programs mentioned here to the latest non-linear
    editing programs.

    After that, the program that works the best? VirtualDub for clipping
    clips and cutting things apart, filtering, and putting them back
    together again. Free, works great, handles huge DV files w/o any
    problems and works.

    http://www.carr-engineering.com/dvio.htm
    http://www.virtualdub.org/
    (if you get virtualdub mpeg2 version, you can edit mpeg2 video files as
    well!)

    Have a look at

    MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 10

    http://site.magix.net/index.php?18200

    David

    "Kovie" <kovie@earthlink.netizen> wrote in message
    > I need to convert some old Hi8 tapes into digital format. It looks like DV
    > format's the way to go, and I have the hardware to do it (Digital8
    camcorder
    > with A/D pass-through, FW card, fast enough PC, etc.). However, I need
    > software to capture the video and then split it into segments that will
    fit
    > on DVD, as this is how I'd like to archive the footage for future use.
    >
    > I've been using MS Movie Maker (the latest version that comes with XP Pro
    > SP2), but with mixed results. It captures the videos just fine, but often
    > crashes when I try to split it into segments, generally as it nears
    > completion of the splitting process. Is there anything I can do to stop
    > this, or is there better software to do this? I'm not looking for anything
    > fancy right now. When I start editing this footage I'll worry about that.
    > Right now I just need to capture and split to footage. Any suggestions
    would
    > be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Kovie