Need basic software to convert Hi8 tapes & split into DVD-..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 16, 2005 4:22:14 AM

I need to convert some old Hi8 tapes into digital format. It looks like DV
format's the way to go, and I have the hardware to do it (Digital8 camcorder
with A/D pass-through, FW card, fast enough PC, etc.). However, I need
software to capture the video and then split it into segments that will fit
on DVD, as this is how I'd like to archive the footage for future use.

I've been using MS Movie Maker (the latest version that comes with XP Pro
SP2), but with mixed results. It captures the videos just fine, but often
crashes when I try to split it into segments, generally as it nears
completion of the splitting process. Is there anything I can do to stop
this, or is there better software to do this? I'm not looking for anything
fancy right now. When I start editing this footage I'll worry about that.
Right now I just need to capture and split to footage. Any suggestions would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kovie
kovie@earthlink.netizen
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 4:25:35 PM

You can capture using just about anything out there, from the free basic
DV video capture programs mentioned here to the latest non-linear
editing programs.

After that, the program that works the best? VirtualDub for clipping
clips and cutting things apart, filtering, and putting them back
together again. Free, works great, handles huge DV files w/o any
problems and works.

http://www.carr-engineering.com/dvio.htm
http://www.virtualdub.org/
(if you get virtualdub mpeg2 version, you can edit mpeg2 video files as
well!)
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 12:52:58 PM

Have a look at