Best 'low cost' video editing software

Hi folks

I have a new DV! I need to make short (3 - 10 minute) videos to stream from
my web site.

Any suggestions on the 'best at the price' Capture / Editing / Formatting
for the web software would be appreciated. I have used briefly the Sony
Picture Maker software, and though it's probably not suitable to create web
distributions its really neat at doing those auto edits with imported music
and filters.

I guess I need something substantially more sophisticated than that - but it
was cool anyway!

Cheers

--
Kahuna
------------

    "Kahuna" wrote ...
    > I have a new DV!

    Presumably you mean a DV *camera*?

    > I need to make short (3 - 10 minute) videos to stream from
    > my web site.
    >
    > Any suggestions on the 'best at the price' Capture / Editing /
    > Formatting for the web software would be appreciated. I have
    > used briefly the Sony Picture Maker software, and though it's
    > probably not suitable to create web distributions its really neat
    > at doing those auto edits with imported music and filters.
    >
    > I guess I need something substantially more sophisticated than
    > that - but it was cool anyway!

    Not clear why it is "probably not suitable to create web distributions"?
    Perhaps if you were to explain what you mean it might help us
    understand what you are asking for?

    My first reaction was why do you need to buy anything?
    If you can already edit things with Picture Maker, you may
    only lack a method of converting to your desired video
    format (unstated). You can get a free converter to create
    WMV from Microsoft, a free converter from Real Networks,
    a very low-cost ($30?) converter for Quicktime/MPEG4 from
    Apple, several freeware appliations for MPG, DVIX, etc. etc.
    What video format do you think you want to use? If you want
    to use major-league streaming technology, do you have a server
    configured for it?

    in general, imovie + idvd on a mac...

    > I have a new DV! I need to make short (3 - 10 minute) videos to stream from
    > my web site.
    >
    > Any suggestions on the 'best at the price' Capture / Editing / Formatting
    > for the web software would be appreciated. I have used briefly the Sony
    > Picture Maker software, and though it's probably not suitable to create web
    > distributions its really neat at doing those auto edits with imported music
    > and filters.

    Windows Movie Maker included with XP + Windows Media Encoder 9 (free
    download) = the cheapest (ie. free) solution available for a PC.

    Real & Quicktime also have streaming video solutions - see their
    websites for more info.

    ---

    Besides that, any older copy of Vegas Video 4 on www.ebay.com for <$100,
    or their latest version in the stripped down release - these can output
    media in just about every available format for release on the web.

    Note, you may still have to setup a server correctly for streaming of
    live video depending on format and number of simultaneous connections.

    David Chien wrote:
    > in general, imovie + idvd on a mac...
    >
    > > I have a new DV! I need to make short (3 - 10 minute) videos to
    stream from
    > > my web site.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions on the 'best at the price' Capture / Editing /
    Formatting
    > > for the web software would be appreciated. I have used briefly the
    Sony
    > > Picture Maker software, and though it's probably not suitable to
    create web
    > > distributions its really neat at doing those auto edits with
    imported music
    > > and filters.
    >
    > Windows Movie Maker included with XP + Windows Media Encoder 9 (free
    > download) = the cheapest (ie. free) solution available for a PC.
    >
    > Real & Quicktime also have streaming video solutions - see their
    > websites for more info.
    >
    > ---

    unless you are going to restrict your video audience to those with high
    speed connections you need to look at the bandwidth needed to support
    your video stream. Size of image is a major consideration.

    Windows Movie maker with Win xp sp2 , Sony Vegas Movie studio 4 should
    do what you need.

    I do not know what server software you need to stream video.

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:22:01 -0000, "Kahuna" <none@gonewest.com>
    wrote:

    >Hi folks
    >
    >I have a new DV! I need to make short (3 - 10 minute) videos to stream from
    >my web site.
    >
    >Any suggestions on the 'best at the price' Capture / Editing / Formatting
    >for the web software would be appreciated.

    I think the cheapest would be Windows Movie Maker 2, seeing
    how it comes with every copy of Windows XP. What do you exactly need
    to do in your editing?

    Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
    I have no fears in life,
    for I have already survived Theta-G!

    Hey Kahuna.

    If I'm interpreting what you mean correctly, you want to end up with little
    video files designed to stream over the web and don't have any fancy
    requirements.

    Despite using Adobe Premiere Pro for most of my work, I'm VERY fond of using
    Windows Movie Maker 2 for outputting various streaming formats!

    All I do is import the DV-AVI file into WMM2, drop it on the timeline and
    Control-P (save movie...) using one of the presets.
    A common one I use for creating preview files for clients in the WMV file
    150kb/sec format - it usually ends up being a 320x240 picture with very
    clear audio.

    Does this help?

    Chris

    "Kahuna" <none@gonewest.com> wrote in message
    > Hi folks
    >
    > I have a new DV! I need to make short (3 - 10 minute) videos to stream
    > from my web site.
    >
    > Any suggestions on the 'best at the price' Capture / Editing / Formatting
    > for the web software would be appreciated. I have used briefly the Sony
    > Picture Maker software, and though it's probably not suitable to create
    > web distributions its really neat at doing those auto edits with imported
    > music and filters.
    >
    > I guess I need something substantially more sophisticated than that - but
    > it was cool anyway!
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > --
    > Kahuna
    > ------------

    Excellent points Richard - thanks for the quick feedback.

    The Sony stuff was on a fiends machine so I don't have it any more, and it
    seemed mainly geared to very basic autoedit style movies (for the family and
    for CD).

    I need to accurately edit my DV (and yes - sorry - its a DV Camera) and then
    save it in a range of formats. Some of which I can kind of do already in
    Windows Movie Maker. But I cant save in anything but WMV!

    I need AVI at least and MPEG most likely, both of which so I can import to
    flash and use on my website. My term streaming was wrong Richard, I meant
    using something like WMediaPlayer or QuickTime etc. I have looked at the
    PowerPoint streaming format using MS Producer by it means finding a site to
    support it and the relevant expense etc.

    Lastly I have tried converting my WMV's to AVI in a number of different ways
    and with different compressions (using STOIK Video Converter) all of which
    resulted in huge files much greater than the WMV original and to large to
    handle on a web site.

    Guess I need some guidance here Richard.

    Cheers

    --
    Kahuna
    ------------
    "Richard Crowley" <richard.7.crowley@intel.com> wrote in message
    > "Kahuna" wrote ...
    >> I have a new DV!
    >
    > Presumably you mean a DV *camera*?
    >
    >> I need to make short (3 - 10 minute) videos to stream from
    >> my web site.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions on the 'best at the price' Capture / Editing /
    >> Formatting for the web software would be appreciated. I have
    >> used briefly the Sony Picture Maker software, and though it's
    >> probably not suitable to create web distributions its really neat
    >> at doing those auto edits with imported music and filters.
    >>
    >> I guess I need something substantially more sophisticated than
    >> that - but it was cool anyway!
    >
    > Not clear why it is "probably not suitable to create web distributions"?
    > Perhaps if you were to explain what you mean it might help us
    > understand what you are asking for?
    >
    > My first reaction was why do you need to buy anything?
    > If you can already edit things with Picture Maker, you may
    > only lack a method of converting to your desired video
    > format (unstated). You can get a free converter to create
    > WMV from Microsoft, a free converter from Real Networks,
    > a very low-cost ($30?) converter for Quicktime/MPEG4 from
    > Apple, several freeware appliations for MPG, DVIX, etc. etc.
    > What video format do you think you want to use? If you want
    > to use major-league streaming technology, do you have a server
    > configured for it?

    Hey again Kahuna - didn't see your second post until after I'd replied to
    your first. ;)

    Adobe offers free downloadable trials of Premiere - non-crippled no less.
    Give it a shot.

    I strong urge you to stay away from Real Networks products due to it's
    spyware implications. (google "Real player spyware" and be the judge for
    yourself)

    FYI: "Premiere Elements" is a slightly watered down version of Premiere but
    apparently does a great deal and the price is right.

    Can't comment on Avid, FCP (Mac) or Sony Vegas as I haven't used them but
    many have and speak highly of them.

    C.

    > Excellent points Richard - thanks for the quick feedback.
    >
    > The Sony stuff was on a fiends machine so I don't have it any more, and it
    > seemed mainly geared to very basic autoedit style movies (for the family
    > and for CD).
    >
    > I need to accurately edit my DV (and yes - sorry - its a DV Camera) and
    > then save it in a range of formats. Some of which I can kind of do already
    > in Windows Movie Maker. But I cant save in anything but WMV!
    >
    > I need AVI at least and MPEG most likely, both of which so I can import to
    > flash and use on my website. My term streaming was wrong Richard, I meant
    > using something like WMediaPlayer or QuickTime etc. I have looked at the
    > PowerPoint streaming format using MS Producer by it means finding a site
    > to support it and the relevant expense etc.
    >
    > Lastly I have tried converting my WMV's to AVI in a number of different
    > ways and with different compressions (using STOIK Video Converter) all of
    > which resulted in huge files much greater than the WMV original and to
    > large to handle on a web site.
    >
    > Guess I need some guidance here Richard.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > --
    > Kahuna
    > ------------
    > "Richard Crowley" <richard.7.crowley@intel.com> wrote in message
    >> "Kahuna" wrote ...
    >>> I have a new DV!
    >>
    >> Presumably you mean a DV *camera*?
    >>
    >>> I need to make short (3 - 10 minute) videos to stream from
    >>> my web site.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions on the 'best at the price' Capture / Editing /
    >>> Formatting for the web software would be appreciated. I have
    >>> used briefly the Sony Picture Maker software, and though it's
    >>> probably not suitable to create web distributions its really neat
    >>> at doing those auto edits with imported music and filters.
    >>>
    >>> I guess I need something substantially more sophisticated than
    >>> that - but it was cool anyway!
    >>
    >> Not clear why it is "probably not suitable to create web distributions"?
    >> Perhaps if you were to explain what you mean it might help us
    >> understand what you are asking for?
    >>
    >> My first reaction was why do you need to buy anything?
    >> If you can already edit things with Picture Maker, you may
    >> only lack a method of converting to your desired video
    >> format (unstated). You can get a free converter to create
    >> WMV from Microsoft, a free converter from Real Networks,
    >> a very low-cost ($30?) converter for Quicktime/MPEG4 from
    >> Apple, several freeware appliations for MPG, DVIX, etc. etc.
    >> What video format do you think you want to use? If you want
    >> to use major-league streaming technology, do you have a server
    >> configured for it?

    Cheers C - looks like 'Elements' is a good basic choice

    --
    Kahuna
    ------------

    On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:08:21 -0000, "Kahuna" <none@gonewest.com>
    wrote:

    >Lastly I have tried converting my WMV's to AVI in a number of different ways
    >and with different compressions (using STOIK Video Converter) all of which
    >resulted in huge files much greater than the WMV original and to large to
    >handle on a web site.

    If file size is a concern, then you should use DivX or XviD as your
    Avi codec. They are about the same as the Wmv códecs. I assume Stoik
    shall allow you to chose those codecs. Otherwise, use a different
    converter: Mpeg-4 Direct Maker, EasyX Video Converter, EO Video...

    Thanks everyone for the feedback - I have decided to just embed the wmv's
    into the page for the moment. Meanwhile I am checking out Vegas5.

    Another question (posted as a new post also):

    Using WMM I need to force the video capture to greater than 15 frames per
    second. WMM defaults back to this frame capture rate whenever it is reset to
    something higher? Any idea how to force a higher capture rate?

    My DV plays great on a monitor or TV, but after capture at 15 frames its not
    smooth enough for presentation. (In this case its a wedding video rather
    than my work stuff).

    Cheers

    --
    Kahuna
    ------------

    > Thanks everyone for the feedback - I have decided to just embed the
    > wmv's into the page for the moment. Meanwhile I am checking out
    > Vegas5.

    Vegas 5 is awesome (but not very "low cost" :) ... you mentioned Sony
    Picture Maker - I'm not familiar with that, but maybe the Sony Vegas
    Movie Studio will work for you (it's LOT cheaper than Vegas 5)
    http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/showproduct.asp?PID=932

    Adobe Premiere Elements is excellent for the money. Pinnacle Studio
    also isn't bad.

    On the Mac, iMovie is free with the system along with iDVD, iPhoto and
    a bunch more.

    Craig

Tuner Cards Video Editing Video Software Graphics