how do I make a dvd to play on my dvd player?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 17, 2005 7:18:19 PM

I have a brand new DVD player (jwin brand, progressive scan, compatible
with dvd/cd/cdrom/cdrom rw).

I have a computer with sony video vegas 5 editing software. But it does
not have the plugin to render in mpeg format or make a dvd. I think I
can only render in avi and wmv and other computer viewable formats.

I have some video files on my computer in .wmv, .avi, .mpeg formats
that I would like to watch on my dvd. I have blank CD rom disks, but no
dvd disks. I have a nice CDROM RW that I have used to write many files
onto CD. Is there any way to write these videos onto a CD that would be
watchable on my DVD player? Do I need to get blank DVD disks? Do I need
other software? If so, is there free software available to make a DVD?

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 8:52:11 PM

"randy" wrote ...
>I have a brand new DVD player (jwin brand, progressive scan, compatible
> with dvd/cd/cdrom/cdrom rw).
>
> I have a computer with sony video vegas 5 editing software. But it
> does
> not have the plugin to render in mpeg format or make a dvd. I think I
> can only render in avi and wmv and other computer viewable formats.
>
> I have some video files on my computer in .wmv, .avi, .mpeg formats
> that I would like to watch on my dvd. I have blank CD rom disks, but
> no
> dvd disks. I have a nice CDROM RW that I have used to write many files
> onto CD. Is there any way to write these videos onto a CD that would
> be
> watchable on my DVD player? Do I need to get blank DVD disks? Do I
> need
> other software? If so, is there free software available to make a DVD?

Look up your DVD player at www.videohelp.com and see if it will
play "VCD" or any other format you can write.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 2:51:36 PM

> can only render in avi and wmv and other computer viewable formats.
> I have some video files on my computer in .wmv, .avi, .mpeg formats
> that I would like to watch on my dvd. I have blank CD rom disks, but no

If it supports VCD/SVCD, download the TMPGENC and encode everything to
VCD/SVCD format and burn to CDs.

Otherwise, buy the Philips $69 DVP642
DVD/VCD/SVCD/MPEG-4/DIVX/XVID/MP3/CD/JPEG CD player at Walmart instead,
and simply dump any MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 files in their original
format to CD/DVD and play w/o having to convert to a VCD/SVCD/DVD disc.

(In other words, if you have a *.MPG file, or a MPEG-4/Divx/Xvid format
*.AVI file, simply burn them to a data CD/DVD. The player will look at
all of the files and play the ones it is compatible with w/o you having
to convert to VCD/SVCD/DVD format discs.)

Lots of talk on this player in www.fatwallet.com/forums/ -> hot deals ->
search 'dvp642' and videohelp.com.
March 18, 2005 11:21:22 PM

On a sunny day (Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:51:36 -0800) it happened David Chien
<chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in <d1fbg4$m1q$1@news.service.uci.edu>:>Otherwise, buy the Philips $69 DVP642
>DVD/VCD/SVCD/MPEG-4/DIVX/XVID/MP3/CD/JPEG CD player at Walmart instead,
>and simply dump any MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 files in their original
>format to CD/DVD and play w/o having to convert to a VCD/SVCD/DVD disc.
It cannot play wmv, some other cheap DVD players can.
wmv is a common format.
March 22, 2005 1:46:10 PM

randy wrote:
> I have a brand new DVD player (jwin brand, progressive scan, compatible
> with dvd/cd/cdrom/cdrom rw).
>
> I have a computer with sony video vegas 5 editing software. But it does
> not have the plugin to render in mpeg format or make a dvd. I think I
> can only render in avi and wmv and other computer viewable formats.
>
> I have some video files on my computer in .wmv, .avi, .mpeg formats
> that I would like to watch on my dvd. I have blank CD rom disks, but no
> dvd disks. I have a nice CDROM RW that I have used to write many files
> onto CD. Is there any way to write these videos onto a CD that would be
> watchable on my DVD player? Do I need to get blank DVD disks? Do I need
> other software? If so, is there free software available to make a DVD?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Ummmm, Vegas 5 should render to MPG using the Mainconcept codec.

You need to dig a little deeper into your software and look at all your
options when you select the "Render As" option.

The NTSC DV setting allows you to render it in Avi or Mpg setting. It
allows you to render just the video stream or the video and audio stream
combined.

We must assume that you don't have DVD Architect which is the companion
to Vegas Video, but thats not a big deal. Its an ok authoring program,
but, frankly not my fav. You could D/L the TMPGenc DVD Authoring app
which you can use under a free trial and see if you like it. There are
many others to choose from. DVD Lab is my fav, but as it does not do any
transcoding of non compliant files, it sometimes fustrates new users.

You will very likely hear that rendering your project into seperate
video and audio streams is the best way to go. I suggest you look into
that at some point as I agree with that as well. But, if you don't want
to wait until you have finished climbing the learning curve mountain
before you burn your first DVD, start with an MPG2 with audio and video
combined. If your project is more than an hour long, use a bitrate
calculator to figure our what bitrate to use to get a file that will fit
onto your DVD. If you don't know what a bitrate calculator is,
videohelp.com will help you in that regard.
!