  • Printers
  • TCP/IP
  • Windows XP
March 10, 2005 5:41:03 PM

Remote computer: XP Pro
Local compuer: XP Home

I connect to the remote computer from the local with Remote desktop. I can
then print a document from the remote computer on my locally connected
printer (LPT1).

However if my local printer is a TCP/IP printer then I can't. However I can
print locally stored documents to the TCP/IP printer.

Is there a way to print to a local TCP/IP printer when I use Remote Desktop?

//jonas

More about : remote printing

March 11, 2005 1:25:56 PM

You can print from RD to your network printer, but it's a little tricky to
configure. Here are the basic steps:

1. Install the printer driver on the guest as a local printer (non plug and
play) and share it. (There must also be a matching driver on the host.)
2. Run IPConfig to get your own IP address (or use your static address if
applicable).
3. In a command prompt run >net use lpt3
\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\printersharename /persistent:yes where xxx... = your IP
address.
4. In printer settings-
a. Create a TCP Port (add port, etc.) Enter the IP address of the
network printer (which should have a static address).
b. Check Printer Pooling
c. Select LPT3 and the TCP port for pooling.
--

"netwood" <netwood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Remote computer: XP Pro
> Local compuer: XP Home
>
> I connect to the remote computer from the local with Remote desktop. I can
> then print a document from the remote computer on my locally connected
> printer (LPT1).
>
> However if my local printer is a TCP/IP printer then I can't. However I
> can
> print locally stored documents to the TCP/IP printer.
>
> Is there a way to print to a local TCP/IP printer when I use Remote
> Desktop?
>
> //jonas
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 3:21:05 PM

Thank you!!!
Works great.

//jonas

"GTS" wrote:

> You can print from RD to your network printer, but it's a little tricky to
> configure. Here are the basic steps:
>
> 1. Install the printer driver on the guest as a local printer (non plug and
> play) and share it. (There must also be a matching driver on the host.)
> 2. Run IPConfig to get your own IP address (or use your static address if
> applicable).
> 3. In a command prompt run >net use lpt3
> \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\printersharename /persistent:yes where xxx... = your IP
> address.
> 4. In printer settings-
> a. Create a TCP Port (add port, etc.) Enter the IP address of the
> network printer (which should have a static address).
> b. Check Printer Pooling
> c. Select LPT3 and the TCP port for pooling.
> --
>
> "netwood" <netwood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Remote computer: XP Pro
> > Local compuer: XP Home
> >
> > I connect to the remote computer from the local with Remote desktop. I can
> > then print a document from the remote computer on my locally connected
> > printer (LPT1).
> >
> > However if my local printer is a TCP/IP printer then I can't. However I
> > can
> > print locally stored documents to the TCP/IP printer.
> >
> > Is there a way to print to a local TCP/IP printer when I use Remote
> > Desktop?
> >
> > //jonas

March 12, 2005 9:57:54 PM

You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback.
--

!