Help with remote printing

Remote computer: XP Pro
Local compuer: XP Home

I connect to the remote computer from the local with Remote desktop. I can
then print a document from the remote computer on my locally connected
printer (LPT1).

However if my local printer is a TCP/IP printer then I can't. However I can
print locally stored documents to the TCP/IP printer.

Is there a way to print to a local TCP/IP printer when I use Remote Desktop?

//jonas
3 answers Last reply
More about help remote printing

    You can print from RD to your network printer, but it's a little tricky to
    configure. Here are the basic steps:

    1. Install the printer driver on the guest as a local printer (non plug and
    play) and share it. (There must also be a matching driver on the host.)
    2. Run IPConfig to get your own IP address (or use your static address if
    applicable).
    3. In a command prompt run >net use lpt3
    \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\printersharename /persistent:yes where xxx... = your IP
    address.
    4. In printer settings-
    a. Create a TCP Port (add port, etc.) Enter the IP address of the
    network printer (which should have a static address).
    b. Check Printer Pooling
    c. Select LPT3 and the TCP port for pooling.
    --

    "netwood" <netwood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Remote computer: XP Pro
    > Local compuer: XP Home
    >
    > I connect to the remote computer from the local with Remote desktop. I can
    > then print a document from the remote computer on my locally connected
    > printer (LPT1).
    >
    > However if my local printer is a TCP/IP printer then I can't. However I
    > can
    > print locally stored documents to the TCP/IP printer.
    >
    > Is there a way to print to a local TCP/IP printer when I use Remote
    > Desktop?
    >
    > //jonas

    Thank you!!!
    Works great.

    //jonas

    "GTS" wrote:

    > You can print from RD to your network printer, but it's a little tricky to
    > configure. Here are the basic steps:
    >
    > 1. Install the printer driver on the guest as a local printer (non plug and
    > play) and share it. (There must also be a matching driver on the host.)
    > 2. Run IPConfig to get your own IP address (or use your static address if
    > applicable).
    > 3. In a command prompt run >net use lpt3
    > \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\printersharename /persistent:yes where xxx... = your IP
    > address.
    > 4. In printer settings-
    > a. Create a TCP Port (add port, etc.) Enter the IP address of the
    > network printer (which should have a static address).
    > b. Check Printer Pooling
    > c. Select LPT3 and the TCP port for pooling.
    > --
    >
    > "netwood" <netwood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Remote computer: XP Pro
    > > Local compuer: XP Home
    > >
    > > I connect to the remote computer from the local with Remote desktop. I can
    > > then print a document from the remote computer on my locally connected
    > > printer (LPT1).
    > >
    > > However if my local printer is a TCP/IP printer then I can't. However I
    > > can
    > > print locally stored documents to the TCP/IP printer.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to print to a local TCP/IP printer when I use Remote
    > > Desktop?
    > >
    > > //jonas

    You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback.
    --

    > Thank you!!!
    > Works great.
    >
    > //jonas
    >
    > "GTS" wrote:
    >
    >> You can print from RD to your network printer, but it's a little tricky
    >> configure. Here are the basic steps:
    >>
    >> 1. Install the printer driver on the guest as a local printer (non plug
    >> and
    >> play) and share it. (There must also be a matching driver on the host.)
    >> 2. Run IPConfig to get your own IP address (or use your static address
    >> if
    >> applicable).
    >> 3. In a command prompt run >net use lpt3
    >> \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\printersharename /persistent:yes where xxx... = your
    >> IP
    >> address.
    >> 4. In printer settings-
    >> a. Create a TCP Port (add port, etc.) Enter the IP address of the
    >> network printer (which should have a static address).
    >> b. Check Printer Pooling
    >> c. Select LPT3 and the TCP port for pooling.
    >> --
    >>
    >> "netwood" <netwood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Remote computer: XP Pro
    >> > Local compuer: XP Home
    >> >
    >> > I connect to the remote computer from the local with Remote desktop. I
    >> > can
    >> > then print a document from the remote computer on my locally connected
    >> > printer (LPT1).
    >> >
    >> > However if my local printer is a TCP/IP printer then I can't. However I
    >> > can
    >> > print locally stored documents to the TCP/IP printer.
    >> >
    >> > Is there a way to print to a local TCP/IP printer when I use Remote
    >> > Desktop?
    >> >
    >> > //jonas

Remote Desktop Computers Printers TCP/IP Windows XP