Sony DCR 460: S-Video vs. DV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 18, 2005 1:08:16 PM

I have come across a really weird video capture result:

I have a Sony DCR 460 (PAL) camcoder from which I am trying to make DVDs.
I tested both video output options, DV - via FireWire port - and S-Video
(via AVerMedia DVD EZMaker capture card).

In theory, DV should be best, but in reality the picture captured
from the S-Video output is sharp and smooth, while the DV captured
video looks blurry and jittery - as viewed on the PC monitor, at any size.

My analog capture is done using VirtualVCR or FlyDs at 720x576 (YuY2), no compression.
DV capture is done using Windows MovieMaker or neoDVD, with DV-AVI quality, no compression.
(I realize, DV-AVI is already compressed by the camera).
AFAIK, the video captured from the analog output has to go through
a D/A conversion first, followed by a A/D conversion in the capture card.
So, how can it look better?

Any explanations anyone?

Karl

More about : sony dcr 460 video

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 7:07:26 PM

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:08:16 -0500, Karl Waclawek <karl@waclawek.net>
wrote:

>I have come across a really weird video capture result:
>
>I have a Sony DCR 460 (PAL) camcoder from which I am trying to make DVDs.
>I tested both video output options, DV - via FireWire port - and S-Video
>(via AVerMedia DVD EZMaker capture card).
>
>In theory, DV should be best, but in reality the picture captured
>from the S-Video output is sharp and smooth, while the DV captured
>video looks blurry and jittery - as viewed on the PC monitor, at any size.
>
>My analog capture is done using VirtualVCR or FlyDs at 720x576 (YuY2), no compression.
>DV capture is done using Windows MovieMaker or neoDVD, with DV-AVI quality, no compression.
>(I realize, DV-AVI is already compressed by the camera).
>AFAIK, the video captured from the analog output has to go through
>a D/A conversion first, followed by a A/D conversion in the capture card.
>So, how can it look better?
>
>Any explanations anyone?

Yes, you need to use a different field dominance in your MPEG encoder
if you're coming from a DV-source. DV is "lower field first", whereas
your analogue capture card probably encodes "upper field first". Find
the relevant setting in your DVD creation / MPEG encoder software and
flip it and all should be well...

Steve

The Doctor Who Restoration Team Website
http://www.restoration-team.co.uk
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 7:07:27 PM

Steve Roberts wrote:

>>My analog capture is done using VirtualVCR or FlyDs at 720x576 (YuY2), no compression.
>>DV capture is done using Windows MovieMaker or neoDVD, with DV-AVI quality, no compression.
>>(I realize, DV-AVI is already compressed by the camera).
>>AFAIK, the video captured from the analog output has to go through
>>a D/A conversion first, followed by a A/D conversion in the capture card.
>>So, how can it look better?
>>
>>Any explanations anyone?
>

> Yes, you need to use a different field dominance in your MPEG encoder
> if you're coming from a DV-source. DV is "lower field first", whereas
> your analogue capture card probably encodes "upper field first". Find
> the relevant setting in your DVD creation / MPEG encoder software and
> flip it and all should be well...

Thanks for the reply.
My problem actually happens *before* I do any MPEG encoding.
I am just comparing the captured files Uncompressed AVI (from analog input)
vs unprocessed DV-AVI (direct from camcorder via FireWire).

I have to add that as test video I just fix the camcorder so
that it does not move and point it at some static picture with
fine detail. I record directly from a libe picture, without going
through tape, however, using tape didn't make a difference.
The analog video plays back smooth and sharp, no movement at all,
as one would like to see.
The digital DV-AVI video plays back oscillating up and down
and looking somewhat blurry compared to the analog captured AVI.

All I can think of is that the camcoder performs some image
enhancing processing while converting to S-Video.

Karl
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 12:23:30 AM

Karl Waclawek wrote:

> I have come across a really weird video capture result:
>
> I have a Sony DCR 460 (PAL) camcoder from which I am trying to make DVDs.
> I tested both video output options, DV - via FireWire port - and S-Video
> (via AVerMedia DVD EZMaker capture card).
>
> In theory, DV should be best, but in reality the picture captured
> from the S-Video output is sharp and smooth, while the DV captured
> video looks blurry and jittery - as viewed on the PC monitor, at any size.
>
> My analog capture is done using VirtualVCR or FlyDs at 720x576 (YuY2),
> no compression.
> DV capture is done using Windows MovieMaker or neoDVD, with DV-AVI
> quality, no compression.
> (I realize, DV-AVI is already compressed by the camera).
> AFAIK, the video captured from the analog output has to go through
> a D/A conversion first, followed by a A/D conversion in the capture card.
> So, how can it look better?

For those interested: It turned out that my video card's driver (NVidia FX5200)
had trouble with DV-AVI files. A driver update solved the problem.

Karl