Convert DVD to Video File

I'm a magician, and I have several dozen how-to DVDs in my magic
library. I'm creating a desktop application which is just a librarian
for all tricks shown in the DVDs. I want to create a small video file
of each trick's performance and explanation that can be shown in my
librarian.

What video file type/codec yields the smallest file output? I don't
need very high quality. 15 fps is good enough and the size could be as
little as 176 x 144.

I'm currently using AoA DVD Ripper to AVI with DIVX codec, but the file
sizes are still larger than I want (8 min clip is 23.9M). Is it
possible to crunch this size with different settings or another file
type/codec?

Thanks.

On a sunny day (18 Mar 2005 09:50:47 -0800) it happened jjbutera@hotmail.com
wrote in <1111168247.488438.289210@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>:

>I'm a magician, and I have several dozen how-to DVDs in my magic
>library. I'm creating a desktop application which is just a librarian
>for all tricks shown in the DVDs. I want to create a small video file
>of each trick's performance and explanation that can be shown in my
>librarian.
>
>What video file type/codec yields the smallest file output? I don't
>need very high quality. 15 fps is good enough and the size could be as
>little as 176 x 144.
>
>I'm currently using AoA DVD Ripper to AVI with DIVX codec, but the file
>sizes are still larger than I want (8 min clip is 23.9M).
That is a bitrate of (23 900 000 * 8) / (8 x 60) = 398 kbps
That seems rather high for 176 x 144.
Id think (relative to 1500 kbps for 720x576 @25fps) would be:
(176 x 144) / (720x576) * 1500 = 92kbps
So try setting your bitrate to 92 kbps, or lower if only 15 fps.
For DivX.
Long time ago I did try very low bitrate tests with DivX.
Lemme see in Linux:
transcode -x ffmpeg,null -y divx4,null -i clip2000-1.avi -Z 176x144 -V -w 92 -o q.avi

I have 740966 bytes for 2:40 so 740966 bytes in 160 seconds = 37 kbps
but first minute was colorbar...
Quality is good, can read text too, and it was only single pass.
So set bitrate at 92 kbps perhaps.