VPN access problem - where is that little tickbox.....

Retief

Hi,
My current setup: small network (7pc's + 1 as server) - the server has
XP pro and serves as Internet server and file server.

I've set up the VPN as per various news-articles and websites on the
server.
I've set up the VPN client on the client (XP pro) as per articles and
sites.
I can connect to the server from outside and even connect to pc's on
the network via \\192.168.0.14\c . Took some time to figure out, but
I'm there - thanks for this newsgroup and google.
What I _cannot_ do is get to the files on the server itself - eg
shared folders for network users.

The server address on LAN is 192.168.0.1, the server address on VPN
is 192.168.0.2.
One shared folder is Backup, and I've tried \\192.168.0.1\Backup
and \\192.168.0.2\Backup with no success: "the network path was not
found."

On both machines I have WinXp-firewall turned on (however I think that
this is not the problem- seeing how I'm able to get to the other PC's)
The problem, I think, might be user-based, but I'm shooting peas in
the dark while hanging on last straw thingies with deep abyss.....
That's why I think there is one little tick-box hidden away on a
tucked-away-tab screen.
What other info do you need from me to be able to help.

TIA
Retief

tmac

Goto the firewall, Select File & Print Sharing, Select edit and change the
access to All computers rather then subnet. This should fix your problem

"Retief" <retief_dot]akm_at]iafrica_dot]com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> My current setup: small network (7pc's + 1 as server) - the server has
> XP pro and serves as Internet server and file server.
>
> I've set up the VPN as per various news-articles and websites on the
> server.
> I've set up the VPN client on the client (XP pro) as per articles and
> sites.
> I can connect to the server from outside and even connect to pc's on
> the network via \\192.168.0.14\c . Took some time to figure out, but
> I'm there - thanks for this newsgroup and google.
> What I _cannot_ do is get to the files on the server itself - eg
> shared folders for network users.
>
> The server address on LAN is 192.168.0.1, the server address on VPN
> is 192.168.0.2.
> One shared folder is Backup, and I've tried \\192.168.0.1\Backup
> and \\192.168.0.2\Backup with no success: "the network path was not
> found."
>
> On both machines I have WinXp-firewall turned on (however I think that
> this is not the problem- seeing how I'm able to get to the other PC's)
> The problem, I think, might be user-based, but I'm shooting peas in
> the dark while hanging on last straw thingies with deep abyss.....
> That's why I think there is one little tick-box hidden away on a
> tucked-away-tab screen.
> What other info do you need from me to be able to help.
>
> TIA
> Retief

Retief

Thx for the quick reply.
Just to be clear: this is the firewall on my network-server, eg
192.168.0.1?
Will this not open a wide hole in my supposed security?

Is this what you mean:
- Open firewall settings from ''Control Panel'
- Select Tab 'Exceptions'
- Enable (tick/Select) File & printer Sharing
- Click 'Edit' button
- Select all ports (one by one) [ I can see 4 ports: 2 TCP and 2 UDP]
- Click 'Change scope'-button
- Select "Any computer (including those on the internet)"
-Click OK three times to close alll windows....

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:15:39 -0600, "TMAC" <tmac@nortelnetworks.com>
wrote:

>Goto the firewall, Select File & Print Sharing, Select edit and change the
>access to All computers rather then subnet. This should fix your problem
>

>"Retief" <retief_dot]akm_at]iafrica_dot]com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> My current setup: small network (7pc's + 1 as server) - the server has
>> XP pro and serves as Internet server and file server.
>>
>> I've set up the VPN as per various news-articles and websites on the
>> server.
>> I've set up the VPN client on the client (XP pro) as per articles and
>> sites.
>> I can connect to the server from outside and even connect to pc's on
>> the network via \\192.168.0.14\c . Took some time to figure out, but
>> I'm there - thanks for this newsgroup and google.
>> What I _cannot_ do is get to the files on the server itself - eg
>> shared folders for network users.
>>
>> The server address on LAN is 192.168.0.1, the server address on VPN
>> is 192.168.0.2.
>> One shared folder is Backup, and I've tried \\192.168.0.1\Backup
>> and \\192.168.0.2\Backup with no success: "the network path was not
>> found."
>>
>> On both machines I have WinXp-firewall turned on (however I think that
>> this is not the problem- seeing how I'm able to get to the other PC's)
>> The problem, I think, might be user-based, but I'm shooting peas in
>> the dark while hanging on last straw thingies with deep abyss.....
>> That's why I think there is one little tick-box hidden away on a
>> tucked-away-tab screen.
>> What other info do you need from me to be able to help.
>>
>> TIA
>> Retief

Retief

Hi
Searhed a bit and this is what I found on port 445 (one of the 4 that
is used in File Sharing):
http://www.grc.com/port_445.htm

Is there a way to open this only for the VPN connection and not all
connections?

Retief

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 22:10:22 +0200, Retief
<retief_dot]akm_at]iafrica_dot]com> wrote:

>Thx for the quick reply.
>Just to be clear: this is the firewall on my network-server, eg
>192.168.0.1?
>Will this not open a wide hole in my supposed security?
>
>Is this what you mean:
>- Open firewall settings from ''Control Panel'
>- Select Tab 'Exceptions'
>- Enable (tick/Select) File & printer Sharing
> - Click 'Edit' button
>- Select all ports (one by one) [ I can see 4 ports: 2 TCP and 2 UDP]
>- Click 'Change scope'-button
>- Select "Any computer (including those on the internet)"
>-Click OK three times to close alll windows....
>

>On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:15:39 -0600, "TMAC" <tmac@nortelnetworks.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Goto the firewall, Select File & Print Sharing, Select edit and change the
>>access to All computers rather then subnet. This should fix your problem
>>

>>"Retief" <retief_dot]akm_at]iafrica_dot]com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> My current setup: small network (7pc's + 1 as server) - the server has
>>> XP pro and serves as Internet server and file server.
>>>
>>> I've set up the VPN as per various news-articles and websites on the
>>> server.
>>> I've set up the VPN client on the client (XP pro) as per articles and
>>> sites.
>>> I can connect to the server from outside and even connect to pc's on
>>> the network via \\192.168.0.14\c . Took some time to figure out, but
>>> I'm there - thanks for this newsgroup and google.
>>> What I _cannot_ do is get to the files on the server itself - eg
>>> shared folders for network users.
>>>
>>> The server address on LAN is 192.168.0.1, the server address on VPN
>>> is 192.168.0.2.
>>> One shared folder is Backup, and I've tried \\192.168.0.1\Backup
>>> and \\192.168.0.2\Backup with no success: "the network path was not
>>> found."
>>>
>>> On both machines I have WinXp-firewall turned on (however I think that
>>> this is not the problem- seeing how I'm able to get to the other PC's)
>>> The problem, I think, might be user-based, but I'm shooting peas in
>>> the dark while hanging on last straw thingies with deep abyss.....
>>> That's why I think there is one little tick-box hidden away on a
>>> tucked-away-tab screen.
>>> What other info do you need from me to be able to help.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> Retief

Retief

Just an update:
Today I was able to connect. The only things that I can think that
made a difference is that I enabled File & Printer Sharing on my
Internet connection (scope=subnet on all 4 ports). I had previously
had that turned off as I only needed it on the LAN-connection. I had
my firewall turned off on the Lan-connection, which meant no
'exception' needed on the LAN-side.
I have also changed the IP-range to 192.168.0.101-103 to be well
outside the other ip's. This pc is used at the office (direct on LAn
or at home (now through VPN).
I have read some posts that indicated that I'll need a different
ip-set for my home-network when I set that up. Is this correct, ie I
cannot use the same ip-range 192..168.0.* as I do at work?

Thanks for the reply TMAC - you've put me on the right track.

Regards

retief