PPTP cannot see the other computers

I am trying to setup PPTP with linksys router on both ends. The provider end
has static ip address 196.128.1.100-196.128.110. The provider router has
port 1723 forward to the right machine, both router s have pptp enable. All
machine firewalls are disabled. My client machine use dym ip address
196.128.1.1 as the router ip. I have no problem connecting and with my
password accepted. I ever see the connection on the provider machine. (from
the remote desktop). But when i look at the network neightbourhoop, I
cannot see the other machines. Question :-
(1) Do I need to setup the client router with port forward too ?
(2) Do I need to use static ip on my client machine too and use a different
see 196.128.2.1 ?
(3) Do I need to port forward 47 too ?

--
Thanks in advance

alfredLam <alfredlam@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I am trying to setup PPTP with linksys router on both ends. The
> provider end has static ip address 196.128.1.100-196.128.110. The
> provider router has port 1723 forward to the right machine, both
> router s have pptp enable. All machine firewalls are disabled. My
> client machine use dym ip address 196.128.1.1 as the router ip. I
> have no problem connecting and with my password accepted. I ever see
> the connection on the provider machine. (from the remote desktop).
> But when i look at the network neightbourhoop, I cannot see the
> other machines. Question :-
> (1) Do I need to setup the client router with port forward too?

No.

> (2) Do I need to use static ip on my client
> machine too and use a different see 196.128.2.1?

No, you do not need to use a static IP on the client.

I assume that everywhere you have written 196.128.* you in fact mean
192.168.*

It is definitely an error to use the same IP subnet at both ends of a VPN
link. If the far end is using 192.168.1.xxx then you must not use
192.168.1.xxx at the local end as well.

> (3) Do I need to port forward 47 too?

No.

But even after you have made all these changes, it is not clear to me that
you can expect to see the network neighbourhood of the remote network.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

"Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:

> alfredLam <alfredlam@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > I am trying to setup PPTP with linksys router on both ends. The
> > provider end has static ip address 196.128.1.100-196.128.110. The
> > provider router has port 1723 forward to the right machine, both
> > router s have pptp enable. All machine firewalls are disabled. My
> > client machine use dym ip address 196.128.1.1 as the router ip. I
> > have no problem connecting and with my password accepted. I ever see
> > the connection on the provider machine. (from the remote desktop).
> > But when i look at the network neightbourhoop, I cannot see the
> > other machines. Question :-
> > (1) Do I need to setup the client router with port forward too?
>
> No.
>
> > (2) Do I need to use static ip on my client
> > machine too and use a different see 196.128.2.1?
>
> No, you do not need to use a static IP on the client.
>
> I assume that everywhere you have written 196.128.* you in fact mean
> 192.168.*
>
> It is definitely an error to use the same IP subnet at both ends of a VPN
> link. If the far end is using 192.168.1.xxx then you must not use
> 192.168.1.xxx at the local end as well.
>
> > (3) Do I need to port forward 47 too?
>
> No.
>
> But even after you have made all these changes, it is not clear to me that
> you can expect to see the network neighbourhood of the remote network.
>
> --
> Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
> rdhw@cam.ac.uk
>

> Thank you robin for the reply
I am sure I am connecting to the host (PPTP proveder) machine, which i can
ping all the local ip addresses of the host system. When i type ipconfig on
my client machine I found that my VPN is using submask of 255.255.255.255
than the rest of my network (255.255.255.0) ...Is it normal ? The bottom
line problem is I cannot see host machines on my workgroup computer of
Windows and I also cannot open up (or map drive to) the share folders of the
host machine (//196.128.1.113/sharename).. 196.128.1.113 is the PPTP client
select local ip address - the vpn ip address shown up on the ipconfig. It
said path to the share folder not found.

alfredLam <alfredlam@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I am sure I am connecting to the host (PPTP proveder) machine, which
> i can ping all the local ip addresses of the host system. When i
> type ipconfig on my client machine I found that my VPN is using
> submask of 255.255.255.255 than the rest of my network
> (255.255.255.0) ...Is it normal ? The bottom line problem is I
> cannot see host machines on my workgroup computer of Windows and I
> also cannot open up (or map drive to) the share folders of the host
> machine (//196.128.1.113/sharename).. 196.128.1.113 is the PPTP
> client select local ip address - the vpn ip address shown up on the
> ipconfig. It said path to the share folder not found.

These errors are occurring because you are using the same IP subnet on your
local LAN as the remote end is using on its LAN. You must change the IP
allocations on the LANs so they do not clash.

--

"Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:

> alfredLam <alfredlam@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > I am sure I am connecting to the host (PPTP proveder) machine, which
> > i can ping all the local ip addresses of the host system. When i
> > type ipconfig on my client machine I found that my VPN is using
> > submask of 255.255.255.255 than the rest of my network
> > (255.255.255.0) ...Is it normal ? The bottom line problem is I
> > cannot see host machines on my workgroup computer of Windows and I
> > also cannot open up (or map drive to) the share folders of the host
> > machine (//196.128.1.113/sharename).. 196.128.1.113 is the PPTP
> > client select local ip address - the vpn ip address shown up on the
> > ipconfig. It said path to the share folder not found.
>
> These errors are occurring because you are using the same IP subnet on your
> local LAN as the remote end is using on its LAN. You must change the IP
> allocations on the LANs so they do not clash.
>
> --
> Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
> rdhw@cam.ac.uk
>

> Thank You so much, it is working now. So, in order for it to work, the host and client IP address must be different not just 192.168.XXX.XX , the subnet need to be different too.
Thanks again. I was struggle with this for a LONG time on this.