File size limitation on DVD-R?

I've been transferring old Hi8 tapes to DV format, breaking them into 21
minute (~4.3GB) segments in order to be able to archive them to single-layer
DVD-Rs. However, when I tried to burn one of these segments to DVD-R, the
file on the burned DVD-R was unplayable, and showed up as 135MB in Windows
Explorer. This happened twice, with the same burner but two different brands
of DVD-R blank. Is there a file size limitation to DVD-R, am I using the
wrong file system on the DVD-R, or is there something else I'm not doing
right that is making this happen?

Note that I'm using an old version of Nero Express, 6.0.0.6. Do I need to
upgrade? Also, my system is running XP Pro SP2 and is otherwise running ok.
--
Kovie
kovie@earthlink.netizen

    I did some online research and it appears that normally Nero records using
    the ISO/9660 file system, which limits individual files to 2GB in size. The
    only way around this is to either split my existing >2GB files into <2GB
    segments, or burn using the UDF file system. I could split the files that
    I'm working with DV files, but I'd rather avoid this as it would mean a lot
    of editing. But I can't figure out how to record using the UDF file system
    with Nero Express 6.0.0.6.

    Any suggestions, and is my basic understanding of this issue correct?

    --
    Kovie
    kovie@earthlink.netizen

    "Kovie" <kovie@earthlink.netizen> wrote in message
    > I've been transferring old Hi8 tapes to DV format, breaking them into 21
    > minute (~4.3GB) segments in order to be able to archive them to
    > single-layer DVD-Rs. However, when I tried to burn one of these segments
    > to DVD-R, the file on the burned DVD-R was unplayable, and showed up as
    > 135MB in Windows Explorer. This happened twice, with the same burner but
    > two different brands of DVD-R blank. Is there a file size limitation to
    > DVD-R, am I using the wrong file system on the DVD-R, or is there
    > something else I'm not doing right that is making this happen?
    >
    > Note that I'm using an old version of Nero Express, 6.0.0.6. Do I need to
    > upgrade? Also, my system is running XP Pro SP2 and is otherwise running
    > ok.
    > --
    > Kovie
    > kovie@earthlink.netizen

    OK, more wrinkles. Nero Express does not allow UDF recording, so I have to
    either upgrade to the full version, buy a different burning app, or split my
    DVs into <2GB segments.

    Any other suggestions, or am I doing pretty well on my own... ;-)

    --

    >I did some online research and it appears that normally Nero records using
    >the ISO/9660 file system, which limits individual files to 2GB in size. The
    >only way around this is to either split my existing >2GB files into <2GB
    >segments, or burn using the UDF file system. I could split the files that
    >I'm working with DV files, but I'd rather avoid this as it would mean a lot
    >of editing. But I can't figure out how to record using the UDF file system
    >with Nero Express 6.0.0.6.
    >
    > Any suggestions, and is my basic understanding of this issue correct?
    >
    > --
    > Kovie
    > kovie@earthlink.netizen
    >

    > "Kovie" <kovie@earthlink.netizen> wrote in message
    >> I've been transferring old Hi8 tapes to DV format, breaking them into 21
    >> minute (~4.3GB) segments in order to be able to archive them to
    >> single-layer DVD-Rs. However, when I tried to burn one of these segments
    >> to DVD-R, the file on the burned DVD-R was unplayable, and showed up as
    >> 135MB in Windows Explorer. This happened twice, with the same burner but
    >> two different brands of DVD-R blank. Is there a file size limitation to
    >> DVD-R, am I using the wrong file system on the DVD-R, or is there
    >> something else I'm not doing right that is making this happen?
    >>
    >> Note that I'm using an old version of Nero Express, 6.0.0.6. Do I need to
    >> upgrade? Also, my system is running XP Pro SP2 and is otherwise running
    >> ok.
    >> --
    >> Kovie
    >> kovie@earthlink.netizen

    Use the DVD Data Disc preset. You are not making a DVD Video Disc. This
    could have some bearing on your outcome.

Tuner Cards File Size DVD Writers Graphics