File size limitation on DVD-R?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 18, 2005 10:54:09 PM

I've been transferring old Hi8 tapes to DV format, breaking them into 21
minute (~4.3GB) segments in order to be able to archive them to single-layer
DVD-Rs. However, when I tried to burn one of these segments to DVD-R, the
file on the burned DVD-R was unplayable, and showed up as 135MB in Windows
Explorer. This happened twice, with the same burner but two different brands
of DVD-R blank. Is there a file size limitation to DVD-R, am I using the
wrong file system on the DVD-R, or is there something else I'm not doing
right that is making this happen?

Note that I'm using an old version of Nero Express, 6.0.0.6. Do I need to
upgrade? Also, my system is running XP Pro SP2 and is otherwise running ok.
--
Kovie
kovie@earthlink.netizen

I did some online research and it appears that normally Nero records using
the ISO/9660 file system, which limits individual files to 2GB in size. The
only way around this is to either split my existing >2GB files into <2GB
segments, or burn using the UDF file system. I could split the files that
I'm working with DV files, but I'd rather avoid this as it would mean a lot
of editing. But I can't figure out how to record using the UDF file system
with Nero Express 6.0.0.6.

Any suggestions, and is my basic understanding of this issue correct?

--
Kovie
kovie@earthlink.netizen

"Kovie" <kovie@earthlink.netizen> wrote in message
> I've been transferring old Hi8 tapes to DV format, breaking them into 21
> minute (~4.3GB) segments in order to be able to archive them to
> single-layer DVD-Rs. However, when I tried to burn one of these segments
> to DVD-R, the file on the burned DVD-R was unplayable, and showed up as
> 135MB in Windows Explorer. This happened twice, with the same burner but
> two different brands of DVD-R blank. Is there a file size limitation to
> DVD-R, am I using the wrong file system on the DVD-R, or is there
> something else I'm not doing right that is making this happen?
>
> Note that I'm using an old version of Nero Express, 6.0.0.6. Do I need to
> upgrade? Also, my system is running XP Pro SP2 and is otherwise running
> ok.
> --
> Kovie
> kovie@earthlink.netizen

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 11:55:51 PM

OK, more wrinkles. Nero Express does not allow UDF recording, so I have to
either upgrade to the full version, buy a different burning app, or split my
DVs into <2GB segments.

Any other suggestions, or am I doing pretty well on my own... ;-)

--

>I did some online research and it appears that normally Nero records using
>the ISO/9660 file system, which limits individual files to 2GB in size. The
>only way around this is to either split my existing >2GB files into <2GB
>segments, or burn using the UDF file system. I could split the files that
>I'm working with DV files, but I'd rather avoid this as it would mean a lot
>of editing. But I can't figure out how to record using the UDF file system
>with Nero Express 6.0.0.6.
>
> Any suggestions, and is my basic understanding of this issue correct?
>
> --
> Kovie
> kovie@earthlink.netizen
>

> "Kovie" <kovie@earthlink.netizen> wrote in message
>> I've been transferring old Hi8 tapes to DV format, breaking them into 21
>> minute (~4.3GB) segments in order to be able to archive them to
>> single-layer DVD-Rs. However, when I tried to burn one of these segments
>> to DVD-R, the file on the burned DVD-R was unplayable, and showed up as
>> 135MB in Windows Explorer. This happened twice, with the same burner but
>> two different brands of DVD-R blank. Is there a file size limitation to
>> DVD-R, am I using the wrong file system on the DVD-R, or is there
>> something else I'm not doing right that is making this happen?
>>
>> Note that I'm using an old version of Nero Express, 6.0.0.6. Do I need to
>> upgrade? Also, my system is running XP Pro SP2 and is otherwise running
>> ok.
>> --
>> Kovie
>> kovie@earthlink.netizen

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 12:14:58 PM

Use the DVD Data Disc preset. You are not making a DVD Video Disc. This
could have some bearing on your outcome.
!