RD Black Screen Connected thru VPN

OK, I am using XP SP2 at home - Office has a Linksys Router - Dell Switch -
then out to the LAN - Server on Win 2003 Enterprise Server - My office
computer is using XP SP2. I can connect to VPN fine then can RD into the
Server fine. However, when i try to RD into my desktop, it connects with the
gray bar at the top showing the IP Address but the entire screen is black.
Tried MTU adjustment, bitmap caching - nothing seems to help.

Can someone please advise?

Thank you

stewboy <stewboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I am using XP SP2 at home - Office has a Linksys Router - Dell
> Switch - then out to the LAN - Server on Win 2003 Enterprise Server -
> My office computer is using XP SP2. I can connect to VPN fine then
> can RD into the Server fine. However, when i try to RD into my
> desktop, it connects with the gray bar at the top showing the IP
> Address but the entire screen is black.

When you get a black screen in RD, try waking it up by typing Ctrl-Alt-End.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Tried that...didn't fix it. I appreciate you helping out. Right when I
connect I get the black screen. Let me ask you a few things and tell me if
they could be causing problems:

1) Ive been reading about RD and that you can't have Fast Switching or
Welcome screen on the host computer - is that True?

2) I can connect to the server (different internal ip address) and
everything works - can i cannot to other systems within the LAN?

If neither of these questions have any bearing on me connecting to this
particular workstation - anything you can do to help is much appreciated.

"Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:

> stewboy <stewboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I am using XP SP2 at home - Office has a Linksys Router - Dell
> > Switch - then out to the LAN - Server on Win 2003 Enterprise Server -
> > My office computer is using XP SP2. I can connect to VPN fine then
> > can RD into the Server fine. However, when i try to RD into my
> > desktop, it connects with the gray bar at the top showing the IP
> > Address but the entire screen is black.
>
> When you get a black screen in RD, try waking it up by typing Ctrl-Alt-End.
>
> --
> Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
> rdhw@cam.ac.uk

stewboy <stewboy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> 1) Ive been reading about RD and that you can't have Fast Switching or
> Welcome screen on the host computer - is that True?

No: RD has no problems with Fast User Switching or the Welcome screen: that
is how I use it. The thing that has problems with those is being on a
Domain or Active Directory login.

> 2) I can connect to the server (different internal ip address) and
> everything works - can i cannot to other systems within the LAN?

This might depend on the nature of your VPN connection, more than problems
with RD.

You should check that you can make RD calls to your desktop from within its
own LAN first, before trying to connect to it from outside.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

I am in my office and able to RD within the LAN without any problems. Any
ideas on why I get the "black screen" when connecting through internet?