Connecting Canon ixus 50 to PC through usb (WinXP)

Greetings

I have some troubles connecting my Canon ixus 50 to my PC running WinXP. The
first thing I did, was to connect the camera to the PC through a usb
connection, which resulted in a popup informing that an unrecognized device
was connected. As this did not work, I studied the manual which explains,
that the software needs to be installed before the camera is connected -Doh.
I installed the software as described in the manual, but it is still not
recognized. Later I have tried to uninstall the usb driver for the device,
and install the driver from the cd again (as described in the manual) but
without success. No matter what I try, it just won't connect.

I know the usb port works, as I now and then connect a usb memory stick. And
I have connected the camera to a friend's PC without any driver.Does anyone
have an idea?

Thanks
Martin Siegumfeldt

"Martin Siegumfeldt" <msie02@kom.aau.dk> wrote in message
> Greetings
>
> I have some troubles connecting my Canon ixus 50 to my PC running WinXP.
> The first thing I did, was to connect the camera to the PC through a usb
> connection, which resulted in a popup informing that an unrecognized
> device was connected. As this did not work, I studied the manual which
> explains, that the software needs to be installed before the camera is
> connected -Doh. I installed the software as described in the manual, but
> it is still not recognized. Later I have tried to uninstall the usb driver
> for the device, and install the driver from the cd again (as described in
> the manual) but without success. No matter what I try, it just won't
> connect.
>
> I know the usb port works, as I now and then connect a usb memory stick.
> And I have connected the camera to a friend's PC without any driver.Does
> anyone have an idea?
>
> Thanks
> Martin Siegumfeldt

You have to remove the failed instance for the camera in Device manager.
In Windows XP Control Panel>System. Hardware tab. Click on Device Manager.

It may not show unless the camera is plugged in and turned on in playback
mode.

You may have a yellow or red marked device. Remove it. Disconnect the
camera, Reboot computer. Install the correct software, then plug in the
camera then turn on in playback mode.

It should show as a Removable Disk in Windows Explorer or My Computer.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com