This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on t..

I have windows xp Pro, I'll make a long story short..By mistake I changed
some registry values which disabled my control panel, cannot open any files
or folders, can't open my email. None of my desktop items will open.
Anything I try to open I get the same message everytime, This operation was
cancelled due to restrictions on this computer. Please contact the
Administrator. I am the Administrator. I still have access to the internet.
But when I download a program it won't open and I get this message " Invalid
Enrty" I've tried everything I could think of to restore but to no success.
Safe mode doesn't work to restore. I ran virus scan-no viruses.
There were 6 spywares and I deleted them. Tell me if this makes any sense
to anyone, a friend thinks I have restricted myself from accessing the
control panel by activating a group policy and my user account does not have
administrative rights. This is what was suggested to fix the problem, log in
as an Administrator and make a normal user account a member of the
Administrator group. Now can someone walk me through this set up cause I
have no clue where and how to start this procedure. I have been trouble
shooting for over a month now and I'm just about ready to give up. If anyone
can relate to this issue please respond with a miracle answer. .P.S I don't
have the XP Windows Professional installation CD.

Thanks, Shabri

Sounds like you'll have to buy a Windows XP CD and do a Repair Installation
or a format and clean install.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Shabri" <Shabri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have windows xp Pro, I'll make a long story short..By mistake I changed
> some registry values which disabled my control panel, cannot open any
> files
> or folders, can't open my email. None of my desktop items will open.
> Anything I try to open I get the same message everytime, This operation
> was
> cancelled due to restrictions on this computer. Please contact the
> Administrator. I am the Administrator. I still have access to the
> internet.
> But when I download a program it won't open and I get this message "
> Invalid
> Enrty" I've tried everything I could think of to restore but to no
> success.
> Safe mode doesn't work to restore. I ran virus scan-no viruses.
> There were 6 spywares and I deleted them. Tell me if this makes any sense
> to anyone, a friend thinks I have restricted myself from accessing the
> control panel by activating a group policy and my user account does not
> have
> administrative rights. This is what was suggested to fix the problem, log
> in
> as an Administrator and make a normal user account a member of the
> Administrator group. Now can someone walk me through this set up cause I
> have no clue where and how to start this procedure. I have been trouble
> shooting for over a month now and I'm just about ready to give up. If
> anyone
> can relate to this issue please respond with a miracle answer. .P.S I
> don't
> have the XP Windows Professional installation CD.
>
> Thanks, Shabri

Cari I was afraid you would say that. how do I format and clean install?
Thanks, Shabri

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Sounds like you'll have to buy a Windows XP CD and do a Repair Installation
> or a format and clean install.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>
> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>
> "Shabri" <Shabri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have windows xp Pro, I'll make a long story short..By mistake I changed
> > some registry values which disabled my control panel, cannot open any
> > files
> > or folders, can't open my email. None of my desktop items will open.
> > Anything I try to open I get the same message everytime, This operation
> > was
> > cancelled due to restrictions on this computer. Please contact the
> > Administrator. I am the Administrator. I still have access to the
> > internet.
> > But when I download a program it won't open and I get this message "
> > Invalid
> > Enrty" I've tried everything I could think of to restore but to no
> > success.
> > Safe mode doesn't work to restore. I ran virus scan-no viruses.
> > There were 6 spywares and I deleted them. Tell me if this makes any sense
> > to anyone, a friend thinks I have restricted myself from accessing the
> > control panel by activating a group policy and my user account does not
> > have
> > administrative rights. This is what was suggested to fix the problem, log
> > in
> > as an Administrator and make a normal user account a member of the
> > Administrator group. Now can someone walk me through this set up cause I
> > have no clue where and how to start this procedure. I have been trouble
> > shooting for over a month now and I'm just about ready to give up. If
> > anyone
> > can relate to this issue please respond with a miracle answer. .P.S I
> > don't
> > have the XP Windows Professional installation CD.
> >
> > Thanks, Shabri

Be sure to back everything up first.

Then...

Boot with the XP CD..... Go through the F8 to accept the EULA.... choose to
delete the partition.... and then create a new one.... format it

Then install XP clean on the partition.

You may be able to get away with a Repair Installation...