Hardware/storage setup for video-editing computer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 20, 2005 3:54:26 PM

Hi,

Im helping my father setup a computer, which most demanding tasks would be
video editing in Pinnacle Studio 9 and MPEG2 encoding in general.
I dont know that much about video editing, so i thought id ask for some tips
here.

As for the CPU/mobo, im tied between a P4 Prescott 540(3.2Ghz) w/ Abit AA8
DuraMax mboo and a AMD64(winchester core) 3200+ w/ A8N-SLI Deluxe
motherboard(its surprisingly cheap here in denmark, its costs less than most
standard nforce3Ultra based offerings). Im wondering a bit if buying a PCI
Express based system is overkill, but i hate buying stuff that wont be
easily upgraded later.

In both scenarios i plan for 2x512MB memory DDR/DDR2 and a X300SE, X300 or
X600Pro graphics card(there isnt much difference in price).

As for Intel vs. AMD, im aware that the Intel CPU is probably slightly
faster for video encoding, but its also slightly more expensive, and im
worried that special 64-bit versions of various video software might come
along and change all that in the near future. Besides this, i dont like that
the Prescott is known to run so hot. Feedback would be appreciated....

However, most important to figure out is the storage setup. My father will
need lots of space as just one of his many projects covers 18 or so miniDV
tapes(he will keep the miniDV tapes so storage reliability isnt that big a
deal). I was thinking 2x250GB SATA Hitachi 2K750 in RAID0(both mobo's above
offer RAID). Unfortunately this doesnt really leave money to have a
dedicated system drive, which i know is a common recommendation for video
editing.
So i guess what im asking is which will be faster: a 36GB SATA Raptor as
system drive and a 250GB SATA HD as capture/editing drive or 2x250GB in
RAID0. Obviously im leaning towards the RAID as it will provide speedup in
general usage and not only in video-editing scenarios, as well as more space
in general. Of course ideally the system drive would be a Raptor RAID, but
thats just too expensive ;)

One could probably save something by going with the AGP based VIA K8T800 Pro
chipset w/ RAID and a very cheap gfx card, in fact going this way might
save nearly enough for either a Raptor system drive OR an extra +1GB of RAM,
but would degrade general system performance a bit. Going with an nforce3
board with RAID wont save any cash to my surprise, its just as expensive as
the nforce4SLI.

Btw, please dont provide price advice, as i live in Denmark, so US/UK offers
are useless to me :)

Thanks alot.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 4:07:58 PM

Hey PT.

When I got "back into" NLE in the fall of 2003 after a ten year hiatus, I
Googled for answers.

I actually found www.videoguys.com to be useful - granted, they're in the
business to sell equipment but they also seem to know a thing or two. (I can
identify with that - I rep'd a line of aircraft and wrote regular articles
about flying - didn't mean the articles were completely self-serving, they
had a lot of good info)

I think you're getting too cosmic PT. I'm editing on a 3.2GHz Northwood P4
notebook (granted, a desktop chipset), 1024MB RAM, 80gig 5400rpm hard drive,
and it works fine. One caveat: my screen in a WSXGA+ 17" - 1680x1050 px
resolution.
You need a LOT of screen realestate to avoid going ape with production
applications. (I'm speaking specifically of Premiere Pro - I suspect
Elements will be similar) If you've got the money, God love ya' but you
don't need 2GB RAM to edit non-HD home videos.

You might consider a less expensive Northwood processor as they use less
energy than the Prescotts and seem to be almost as fast, MHz for MHz.
http://tinyurl.com/63jbw

Take a look at this URL: http://tinyurl.com/4g2f2. It's a discussion about
Pinnacle Studio versus Premiere.
My 2 cents: ditch Pinnacle, go with Premiere Elements. If you plan your
hardware purchases carefully, Premiere Elements may come bundled with
something you buy.

Hey, if you can afford a really fast system drive, go with a Raptor or other
"nutty fast" drive. My suggestion is to get 60+ gig system drive, if for
nothing else than program storage and swap files. If financial
considerations mean sticking with a 7200rpm, do that as opposed to getting a
small-but-fast system drive.

I'm doing ALL my work on a notebook 80gig ***5400rpm*** drive. This system
is at least as fast as my last desktop NLE workstation which was kitted out
the wazoo...(dual 7200rpm drives et al)

Invest in storage space - my preference is BIG external firewire drives but
you might save a bit going with internal ATA's.
Your dual 250GB RAID-0 sounds like a good idea.

My 2 cents!
C.

"PT" <ziphnor@mailcan.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Im helping my father setup a computer, which most demanding tasks would be
> video editing in Pinnacle Studio 9 and MPEG2 encoding in general.
> I dont know that much about video editing, so i thought id ask for some
> tips here.
>
> As for the CPU/mobo, im tied between a P4 Prescott 540(3.2Ghz) w/ Abit AA8
> DuraMax mboo and a AMD64(winchester core) 3200+ w/ A8N-SLI Deluxe
> motherboard(its surprisingly cheap here in denmark, its costs less than
> most standard nforce3Ultra based offerings). Im wondering a bit if buying
> a PCI Express based system is overkill, but i hate buying stuff that wont
> be easily upgraded later.
>
> In both scenarios i plan for 2x512MB memory DDR/DDR2 and a X300SE, X300 or
> X600Pro graphics card(there isnt much difference in price).
>
> As for Intel vs. AMD, im aware that the Intel CPU is probably slightly
> faster for video encoding, but its also slightly more expensive, and im
> worried that special 64-bit versions of various video software might come
> along and change all that in the near future. Besides this, i dont like
> that the Prescott is known to run so hot. Feedback would be
> appreciated....
>
> However, most important to figure out is the storage setup. My father will
> need lots of space as just one of his many projects covers 18 or so miniDV
> tapes(he will keep the miniDV tapes so storage reliability isnt that big a
> deal). I was thinking 2x250GB SATA Hitachi 2K750 in RAID0(both mobo's
> above offer RAID). Unfortunately this doesnt really leave money to have a
> dedicated system drive, which i know is a common recommendation for video
> editing.
>
> So i guess what im asking is which will be faster: a 36GB SATA Raptor as
> system drive and a 250GB SATA HD as capture/editing drive or 2x250GB in
> RAID0. Obviously im leaning towards the RAID as it will provide speedup in
> general usage and not only in video-editing scenarios, as well as more
> space in general. Of course ideally the system drive would be a Raptor
> RAID, but thats just too expensive ;)
>
> One could probably save something by going with the AGP based VIA K8T800
> Pro chipset w/ RAID and a very cheap gfx card, in fact going this way
> might save nearly enough for either a Raptor system drive OR an extra +1GB
> of RAM, but would degrade general system performance a bit. Going with an
> nforce3 board with RAID wont save any cash to my surprise, its just as
> expensive as the nforce4SLI.
>
> Btw, please dont provide price advice, as i live in Denmark, so US/UK
> offers are useless to me :)
>
> Thanks alot.

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 6:20:53 AM

Great tip on videoguys.com. I had never heard of them.

MD
!