remote desktop

I had all the security settings off on my pc and ended up with a chat icon on
my desktop that I believe was put on by someone that gained access to my pc.
I had went to shutdown the pc in the past and got a message that clients
where connected....Can This Happen????

why me wrote:
> I had all the security settings off on my pc and ended up with a chat
> icon on my desktop that I believe was put on by someone that gained
> access to my pc. I had went to shutdown the pc in the past and got a
> message that clients where connected....Can This Happen????

Yes, of course - you just said you left your door wide open, so who knows
who came in?

Do not connect to the Internet unless you are behind a firewall of some
kind - even for a second.
Keep Windows patched via Windows Update.
Use good, current generation, constantly updated antivirus software.
Use good, complex passwords.
Use SP2.
Etc.

As far as what to do now? Depends on how paranoid you are (I'm pretty
paranoid myself). Enable your firewall pronto, and run a good antivirus
scan - also try a second opinion at http://housecall.antivirus.com or
similar - run Windows Update, download & install the latest versions of
AdAware & Spybot (update them before running a scan) - etc - and see what
you've got.

Back up your data, too - you should do this regularly.