Anyone know how to reflash firmware for a dead camera from..

Yup still whining away here. After doing a firmware flash in which
everything seems to have been done correctly the camera is dead. It
was a week after the warranty ran out so they want $150.

Obviously I can buy a new 765 for $230-250 and have found 750s for 200
or so here and there so that seems like a ridiculous price to pay for
my old cam to be reflashed or whatever they do.

I might just wait for the S2 canon deal for $330 or so a 12x optical
new model with image stabilization.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

You are going to bite the bullet one way or another.
"John@Smith.com" <xxxxspud@newscene.com> wrote in message
> Yup still whining away here. After doing a firmware flash in which
> everything seems to have been done correctly the camera is dead. It
> was a week after the warranty ran out so they want $150.
>
> Obviously I can buy a new 765 for $230-250 and have found 750s for 200
> or so here and there so that seems like a ridiculous price to pay for
> my old cam to be reflashed or whatever they do.
>
> I might just wait for the S2 canon deal for $330 or so a 12x optical
> new model with image stabilization.

> "John@Smith.com" <xxxxspud@newscene.com> wrote in message
>> Yup still whining away here. After doing a firmware flash in which
>> everything seems to have been done correctly the camera is dead. It
>> was a week after the warranty ran out so they want $150.

I've had several cameras brought to me as DOA and the problem was inadequate
batteries, incorrectly installed batteries. Do visually check out the
battery compartment, and install a new set before giving up on old trusty.
Very often it is a physical problem and not an electronic one. Physically
check the USB cable socket - if it is out of whack it may be hanging up the
camera by making it think the cable is plugged in.
--

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:15:30 -0400, "Chuck" <chuckk2@cox.net> wrote:

>You are going to bite the bullet one way or another.

Yup youre right. Ha. I usually dont want to hassle stuff but this has
really annoyed me. I just dont see why I have to pay almost the cost
of a new better camera just to have it reflashed when I followed their
instructions to the letter. Ive flashed lots cams and motherboards and
take full responsibility when its my fault - flashed wrong firmware,
hacked firmware (which some digi SLR owners are doing ) or if the
power went out (batteries give out during flash or power interruption
to your PC) tough luck ----but none of those things happened. Its so
clearly a case of - used their product and messed up my camera it just
seems sleazy.

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 04:04:23 GMT, "Mike Russell"
<RE-MOVEmike@Curvemeister.comRE-MOVE> wrote:

>> "John@Smith.com" <xxxxspud@newscene.com> wrote in message
>>> Yup still whining away here. After doing a firmware flash in which
>>> everything seems to have been done correctly the camera is dead. It
>>> was a week after the warranty ran out so they want $150.
>
>I've had several cameras brought to me as DOA and the problem was inadequate
>batteries, incorrectly installed batteries. Do visually check out the
>battery compartment, and install a new set before giving up on old trusty.
>Very often it is a physical problem and not an electronic one. Physically
>check the USB cable socket - if it is out of whack it may be hanging up the
>camera by making it think the cable is plugged in.

Tried frantically as you can imagine using 3 other batteries all fully
charged. I have 4 sets. Also tried replugging the USB and another USB
cord I have. Its dead. The weirdest thing. Fully charged battery ,
everything going perfectly while flashing - recognizes the camera and
says will commence flashing and then
..............................NOTHING. Fifteen min later I gave up and
plugged it out. It should take 1-2 min tops.

I actually bought another camera yesterday and plan on buying another
next month --- good riddance to my 750 and 4040. Stil trying to figure
out why my 4040 stinks so bad. It got good reviews has a loyal users
group 4040,5050,5060 ---- I know it cant be this bad.

If only I could find other Oly owners whose cameras got messed up by
firmware flashes provided it wasnt their fault I could get a class
action suit going - something Ive always bashed but..................

I dont see anyone posting about it though but who knows if I do
eventually......................

"John@Smith.com" <xxxxspud@newscene.com> wrote in message
..,..
> Tried frantically as you can imagine using 3 other batteries all fully
> charged. I have 4 sets. Also tried replugging the USB and another USB
> cord I have. Its dead. The weirdest thing. Fully charged battery ,
> everything going perfectly while flashing - recognizes the camera and
> says will commence flashing and then
> .............................NOTHING. Fifteen min later I gave up and
> plugged it out. It should take 1-2 min tops.

Is it possible your charger went south? This would explain why your camera
died in the middle of the flash. Have you tried flashing from another PC?

Anyway - it sounds like you've moved on to a new and better camera. Sorry
about your experience. No one enjoys having something like this happen.
Given the continued user support for this camera, you may be able to get
something for your camera on eBay as a parts camera - rather than have it
gather dust and bring back old memories.

Mike

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 20:22:00 GMT, "Mike Russell"
<RE-MOVEmike@Curvemeister.comRE-MOVE> wrote:

>Is it possible your charger went south? This would explain why your camera
>died in the middle of the flash. Have you tried flashing from another PC?

I should try that since I have two other PCs. What the heck.

Yeah I found a place that claims theyll do it for $135 so I may have
it fixed and give it to someone since I just bought another 10x zoom
cam.

Figured out why my 4040 was so bad too ---- embarrassing. I didnt have
the hang believe or not of pushing the button half way down. This cam
doesnt have a lot of play in the button so its not obvious like my
other ones where you push it halfway down to let it autofocus then
take the shot. I kept trying to take autofocus shots over and over and
over again and I wasnt letting it focus properly, Now I just have to
fix the weird colors its getting I was messing around with the white
balance etc But at least the horrendously poor focusing problem is
solved.