Repairing XP but no OS found

Several MVP's have directed me/others to this proceedure to enable me to move
my HDD to a new PC. But when this process gets to step #5 it shows the c:
partition but no OS. But that HDD works fine in the old PC (I'm using XP
home) How can it not be seeing the XP home OS?

How do you perform a reinstallation of Windows XP, sometimes called a repair
installation?

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information
about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or contact your
computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your
computer.

1.
When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen,
press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

2.
Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then
press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3.
Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4.
In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license
agreement.

5.
Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the
box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

6.
Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

tanya

Is there any other partition showing in setup? Maybe move the HD to ide 1 as
master or however your HD has to be configured for the only drive. Put the
CD on ide 2. Sometimes there are problems if they are both on the same IDE
and you are setting up the computer. What they said should work.
"***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Several MVP's have directed me/others to this proceedure to enable me to
> move
> my HDD to a new PC. But when this process gets to step #5 it shows the c:
> partition but no OS. But that HDD works fine in the old PC (I'm using XP
> home) How can it not be seeing the XP home OS?
>
> How do you perform a reinstallation of Windows XP, sometimes called a
> repair
> installation?
>
> Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more
> information
> about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or contact
> your
> computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart
> your
> computer.
>
> 1.
> When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your
> screen,
> press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
>
> 2.
> Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then
> press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.
>
> 3.
> Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.
>
> 4.
> In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license
> agreement.
>
> 5.
> Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the
> box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
>
> 6.
> Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Cd is on IDE2, HD is on IDE1. Only c: shows but it does not say it has
Windows installed. If I select it it then wants to load it and I'm affraid
that's a wipe of the old.

"Tanya" wrote:

> Is there any other partition showing in setup? Maybe move the HD to ide 1 as
> master or however your HD has to be configured for the only drive. Put the
> CD on ide 2. Sometimes there are problems if they are both on the same IDE
> and you are setting up the computer. What they said should work.
> "***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Several MVP's have directed me/others to this proceedure to enable me to
> > move
> > my HDD to a new PC. But when this process gets to step #5 it shows the c:
> > partition but no OS. But that HDD works fine in the old PC (I'm using XP
> > home) How can it not be seeing the XP home OS?
> >
> > How do you perform a reinstallation of Windows XP, sometimes called a
> > repair
> > installation?
> >
> > Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more
> > information
> > about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or contact
> > your
> > computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart
> > your
> > computer.
> >
> > 1.
> > When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your
> > screen,
> > press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
> >
> > 2.
> > Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then
> > press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.
> >
> > 3.
> > Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.
> >
> > 4.
> > In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license
> > agreement.
> >
> > 5.
> > Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the
> > box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
> >
> > 6.
> > Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

tanya

I followed this off Windows BBS awhile
back.http://www.windowsbbs.com/index.php?s=37299e3e913f3c3590636149bca66bbc
Sorry don't have a link to the thread. I copied part of it. Here it is off
my notes
Replace Motherboard

Boot with the XP cd in the drive.
Go into the bios at post and set the cd drive as the first boot device.

restart the computer and when you get a message to "Press any key to boot
from cd" DO So

Go through all of the XP screens just like your going to do a fresh install.

Finally Windows will find the partition and give you a choice to "Press R to
repair windows" or "Press D to delete partition"
Obviously press "R"

Windows will wipe out the driver data base and windows updates and reinstall
all of your devices including your new motherboard.
No data will be lost and you will be cooking with gas in about an hour.

Just remember..... go past the screen that says "Press R for recovery
consloe" you don't want to select that choice.
This is what happened. I did a bakup of my information and data just to be
safe. Then i did what ssmith10en said to do and VIOLA! it worked. the boot
was succesful. I went to windows update, downloaded all the updates and
updated the bios. MAN it felt like your head was going to explode when going
through the process. I was a bit scared because the chipset i had for my
original board was VIA and the other boards chipst eas SIS and i felt
windows would not find it compatible and fry itself. but it worked out just
right.

> Cd is on IDE2, HD is on IDE1. Only c: shows but it does not say it has
> Windows installed. If I select it it then wants to load it and I'm affraid
> that's a wipe of the old.
>
> "Tanya" wrote:
>
>> Is there any other partition showing in setup? Maybe move the HD to ide 1
>> as
>> master or however your HD has to be configured for the only drive. Put
>> the
>> CD on ide 2. Sometimes there are problems if they are both on the same
>> IDE
>> and you are setting up the computer. What they said should work.
>> "***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Several MVP's have directed me/others to this proceedure to enable me
>> > move
>> > my HDD to a new PC. But when this process gets to step #5 it shows the
>> > c:
>> > partition but no OS. But that HDD works fine in the old PC (I'm using
>> > XP
>> > home) How can it not be seeing the XP home OS?
>> >
>> > How do you perform a reinstallation of Windows XP, sometimes called a
>> > repair
>> > installation?
>> >
>> > Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more
>> > information
>> > about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or contact
>> > your
>> > computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and
>> > restart
>> > your
>> > computer.
>> >
>> > 1.
>> > When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your
>> > screen,
>> > press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
>> >
>> > 2.
>> > Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then
>> > press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.
>> >
>> > 3.
>> > Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.
>> >
>> > 4.
>> > In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license
>> > agreement.
>> >
>> > 5.
>> > Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in
>> > the
>> > box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
>> >
>> > 6.
>> > Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I hate to tell you this, but XP is proprietary to the machine it was loaded
on. (Unless they both have the same mother board and chipset, I am told but
am not certain about that even) If the orginal HD is moved to another
machine, it will boot to a blue screen telling you about and error and run
was stopped to protect the computer.
Move the HD back to the orginal machine, and the bad boot will show when it
prompts to run in safe mode. After running safe and exiting, it will run fine
again...but on that machine.

To move a drive to another machine, there are programs out there purported
to be able to do it. I have tried none, but have found that a new install is
the best way to do a new machine. Back up ( to another hard drive that you
make the D drive to copy, is good option, then move the HD and install XP.
then reinstall the programs and then install the D data drive and move data.

MS knew what they were doing...really messing up every one. You can copy XP
to another HD using a program like West Digits or dirve copy...but only to
put XP on a larger dirve in the same machine.

I don't know all the ins and outs, but this is what I have found so
far....the long hard way.

Greg