PP1.5 DSR20 Slipping Capture

Running PremierePro 1.5 on a high-end P4 system which has
worked just fine since last Christmas.

But now, when I try to capture via firewire from my Sony DSR-20
I am seeing time slippage after 6-8 minutes. The analog video
played back by the VCR (with the on-screen timecode) matches
the TC on the Premiere Capture screen for several minutes, then
Premiere appears to start lagging behind, as much as 10 minutes
in an hour. The VIDEO displayed on the computer *matches* what
is coming out of the VCR, but the TC displayed on the computer
(and the elapsed time captured shown at the top of the video window)
slowly slip farther out of sync as time goes by. Neither newly-shot
tapes nor ones previously captured months/years ago can be
captured without this time sync problem.

Hitting Esc to stop the transfer doesn't work, and when I stop
the VCR using the front panel button, the "capture" on the computer
continues until the TC "catches up" with where I stopped the VCR.
Then, likely as not, Premiere will report that "nothing was captured
because a blank tape was found". The avi file that it saves is
NOT playable (or editable) within Premiere (hangs after a few
seconds, or never even plays at all even though in "play" mode.)
But I can step through the file frame by frame. OTOH, the AVI file
plays OK outside Premiere (like with Windows Media Player).

This used to work just fine with this computer and this VCR and
I have not changed anything (at least that I can remember). No
setting of Int/Ext sync or Source Selector or EE on the VCR
appear to make any difference.

The only thing I can get to work is sending the analog out of the
DSR into my Canopus ADVC-100. Of course this loses the pure-
digital transfer, and eliminates any opportunity of device control,
etc. This is driving me crazy. I have many more hours of video
to capture and now I will have to do it manually. I am going to
try using Scenalyzer and DVIO to capture next.

Anybody encountered this before?