Newbie Question About Monitor

I am considering getting rid of my old computer monitor and getting a
flatscreen HD monitor. Would I need a new graphics card or something?
The guy that sold me the computer said I just had "onboard video".
Not sure what I need to do to upgrade. I'm a beginner here. Will it
just plug in like the old one? I haven't picked out a monitor yet, so
I'm asking what in general I would need to buy for a higher resolution
flatscreen that's not already in my PC. Any advice would be
appreciated. Below are the current specs of my PC and the current
monitor I am using.

General Device Information
_ __ _ - __ __ __
Display: Plug and Play Monitor
Max resolution: 800 x 600 - 4 bit
Current resolution: 800 x 600 - 32 bit
Adapter: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics
Controller
DirectX version: 4.09.00.0904
Other Device Information
_ __ _ - __ __ __
Driver version: 64.32
- Technology: Raster Display
Color bits: I 32
_I Font resolution: 96 dpi
- Pixel w/h/d: 36/36/51

Tim Hopkins

On 3/20/2005, Tim Hopkins managed to type:
> I am considering getting rid of my old computer monitor and getting a
> flatscreen HD monitor. Would I need a new graphics card or something?
> The guy that sold me the computer said I just had "onboard video".
> Not sure what I need to do to upgrade. I'm a beginner here. Will it
> just plug in like the old one? I haven't picked out a monitor yet, so
> I'm asking what in general I would need to buy for a higher resolution
> flatscreen that's not already in my PC. Any advice would be
> appreciated. Below are the current specs of my PC and the current
> monitor I am using.
>
> General Device Information
> _ __ _ - __ __ __
> Display: Plug and Play Monitor
> Max resolution: 800 x 600 - 4 bit
> Current resolution: 800 x 600 - 32 bit
> Adapter: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics
> Controller
> DirectX version: 4.09.00.0904
> Other Device Information
> _ __ _ - __ __ __
> Driver version: 64.32
> - Technology: Raster Display
> Color bits: I 32
> _I Font resolution: 96 dpi
> - Pixel w/h/d: 36/36/51
>
> Tim Hopkins

You need to know what resolutions your video card supports.

If you plug in the LCD monitor with an analog cable, it should work OK
with your computer.

However, any resolution other than the native resolution of the
flat-panel monitor will possibly look fairly bad, and most video cards
can't go higher than the native resolution of the LCD.

I'm just scratching the surface here.

HTH,
Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Your monitor sounds very dated. Out of curiosity, just how old is it?

Anyway, if your Max resolution is less than the new monitor, you'll
need a new video card... But if you're getting a new video card and
a new monitor, you'll want to compare that to the cost getting a whole
new system; you'll probably get more for your money with a bundle, ....
and get everything updated at once.

> Your monitor sounds very dated. Out of curiosity, just how old is it?

I bought it in 1999. It was never a top of the line either, of
course, it just came with the computer tower ect. it's a Samtron 75V.

Tim Hopkins