Setting up remote control for a wireless notebook ?

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

Is there any way to set up a remote control connection to work automatically
on a roaming notebook PC connecting through wireless networks in hotels,
airports etc.? (the notebook is the station being connected to)

It should obviously be a solution which doesn't invlove configuring a
firewall/router, and it should be free or close to that.
(Gotomypc which seems to solve this is WAAAY too expensive)

Any ideas?

All good wishes,
Guy

You could use a dynamic name service like No-IP.com to address the notebook. This presumes the
hotel/airport/etc network does not block TCP Port 3389 incoming. If they do block that port your
pretty much out of luck as far as remote desktop is concerned.

You could try setting up a VPN tunnel from the notebook to the office then try using Remote Desktop
from the office to the notebook via the VPN tunnel. I have never tried that but it should work...

Hopefully someone else would have a better solution...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Guy" <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to set up a remote control connection to work automatically
> on a roaming notebook PC connecting through wireless networks in hotels,
> airports etc.? (the notebook is the station being connected to)
>
> It should obviously be a solution which doesn't invlove configuring a
> firewall/router, and it should be free or close to that.
> (Gotomypc which seems to solve this is WAAAY too expensive)
>
> Any ideas?
>
> All good wishes,
> Guy

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

I think VPN is out of the question since there's no office network - just 2
individual computers.

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> You could use a dynamic name service like No-IP.com to address the notebook. This presumes the
> hotel/airport/etc network does not block TCP Port 3389 incoming. If they do block that port your
> pretty much out of luck as far as remote desktop is concerned.
>
> You could try setting up a VPN tunnel from the notebook to the office then try using Remote Desktop
> from the office to the notebook via the VPN tunnel. I have never tried that but it should work...
>
> Hopefully someone else would have a better solution...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Guy" <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there any way to set up a remote control connection to work automatically
> > on a roaming notebook PC connecting through wireless networks in hotels,
> > airports etc.? (the notebook is the station being connected to)
> >
> > It should obviously be a solution which doesn't invlove configuring a
> > firewall/router, and it should be free or close to that.
> > (Gotomypc which seems to solve this is WAAAY too expensive)
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > All good wishes,
> > Guy

Maybe if you could explain what you want to accomplish? The model usually is the remote notebook is
dialing into/connecting into a office PC so the notebook user can grab files, access a desktop, etc,
etc...etc... Why is it necessary to do the opposite?

--

>I think VPN is out of the question since there's no office network - just 2
> individual computers.
>

> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You could use a dynamic name service like No-IP.com to address the notebook. This presumes the
>> hotel/airport/etc network does not block TCP Port 3389 incoming. If they do block that port your
>> pretty much out of luck as far as remote desktop is concerned.
>>
>> You could try setting up a VPN tunnel from the notebook to the office then try using Remote
>> Desktop
>> from the office to the notebook via the VPN tunnel. I have never tried that but it should work...
>>
>> Hopefully someone else would have a better solution...
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "Guy" <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Is there any way to set up a remote control connection to work automatically
>> > on a roaming notebook PC connecting through wireless networks in hotels,
>> > airports etc.? (the notebook is the station being connected to)
>> >
>> > It should obviously be a solution which doesn't invlove configuring a
>> > firewall/router, and it should be free or close to that.
>> > (Gotomypc which seems to solve this is WAAAY too expensive)
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> >
>> > All good wishes,
>> > Guy

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

I want to connect and control the notebook of a newbie which is moving
around, for the purpose of performing maintanance, installing and configuring
apps etc.

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> Maybe if you could explain what you want to accomplish? The model usually is the remote notebook is
> dialing into/connecting into a office PC so the notebook user can grab files, access a desktop, etc,
> etc...etc... Why is it necessary to do the opposite?
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Guy" <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I think VPN is out of the question since there's no office network - just 2
> > individual computers.
> >

> > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> You could use a dynamic name service like No-IP.com to address the notebook. This presumes the
> >> hotel/airport/etc network does not block TCP Port 3389 incoming. If they do block that port your
> >> pretty much out of luck as far as remote desktop is concerned.
> >>
> >> You could try setting up a VPN tunnel from the notebook to the office then try using Remote
> >> Desktop
> >> from the office to the notebook via the VPN tunnel. I have never tried that but it should work...
> >>
> >> Hopefully someone else would have a better solution...
> >>
> >> --
> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >>
> >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
> >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...
> >>
> >> "Guy" <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Reply to message from Guy <Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> (Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:13:02)
about "Re: Setting up remote control for a wireless notebook ?":

> I want to connect and control the notebook of a newbie which is moving around, for the
> purpose of performing maintanance, installing and configuring apps etc.

Its possible "Remote Assistance" would work for you. You both need to be running XP (Pro
or Home). Open "Help and Support" and search on the string 'remote assistance'...

------
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 for the PocketPC

Guy,

I was wondering if you found a solution. I am looking to accomplish the
same thing with no success.

Thanks,
Bob