Anyone got any ideas on this problem. Just been playing with remote
assistance in xp.
I can connect up to my mates pc no problem and work it from here. My mate
however can not connect to mine. Firewalls (zone alarm) off, enable remote
assistance is
on when you right click my computer, remote and allow (blah blah).
I have looked at the file which gets sent to him and compared it with one
which he sent me.
On mine it has this RCTICKET="65538,1,192.168.0.1:3389;MY IP:3389;user
name:3389,

On his it says RCTICKET="65538,1,HIS IP:3389;user name:3389

Am i right in saying he cant connect because on my invite it has 192.168.0.1
before my ip?
If so, how do i just offer it without this being put in.
Would having that number in effectively make his computer look at
192.168.0.1 which is his computer?

On a side note, anybody got any ideas why my tab key has stopped working as
well, I know this has nothing to do with working remotely but since I'm
here, basically when I used to press tab it would move from button to button
etc, now when I press it, the title bar changes from blue to grey and makes
all windows open inactive.

Thanks for anyone who may help.
Pete

Reply to message from "PeteZahut" <Me@mine.com> (Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:04:58) about "new to
remote working":

> Anyone got any ideas on this problem. Just been playing with remote assistance in xp.
> I can connect up to my mates pc no problem and work it from here. My mate however can
> not connect to mine. Firewalls (zone alarm) off, enable remote assistance is
> on when you right click my computer, remote and allow (blah blah). I have looked at the
> file which gets sent to him and compared it with one which he sent me.
> On mine it has this RCTICKET="65538,1,
> 192.168.0.1:3389;MY IP:3389;user name:3389,

> On his it says RCTICKET="65538,1,HIS IP:3389;user name:3389

> Am i right in saying he cant connect because on my invite it has 192.168.0.1 before my
> ip?
> If so, how do i just offer it without this being put in. Would having that number in
> effectively make his computer look at
> 192.168.0.1 which is his computer?

> On a side note, anybody got any ideas why my tab key has stopped working as well, I
> know this has nothing to do with working remotely but since I'm here, basically when I
> used to press tab it would move from button to button etc, now when I press it, the
> title bar changes from blue to grey and makes all windows open inactive.

> Thanks for anyone who may help. Pete

Are you behind a router? If so you may need to modify the RCTICKET field of the invitation
file to reflect your public IP before you send it to your friend. There is a Knowledge
Base article that describes the file. Search MS for it under 'Remote Assistance'...

------
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 for the PocketPC

> Reply to message from "PeteZahut" <Me@mine.com> (Wed, 16 Mar 2005
> 11:04:58) about "new to
> remote working":
>
> > Anyone got any ideas on this problem. Just been playing with remote
> > assistance in xp.
> > I can connect up to my mates pc no problem and work it from here. My
> > mate however can
> > not connect to mine. Firewalls (zone alarm) off, enable remote
> > assistance is
> > on when you right click my computer, remote and allow (blah blah). I
> > have looked at the
> > file which gets sent to him and compared it with one which he sent me.
> > On mine it has this RCTICKET="65538,1,
> > 192.168.0.1:3389;MY IP:3389;user name:3389,
>
> > On his it says RCTICKET="65538,1,HIS IP:3389;user name:3389
>
> > Am i right in saying he cant connect because on my invite it has
> > 192.168.0.1 before my
> > ip?
> > If so, how do i just offer it without this being put in. Would having
> > that number in
> > effectively make his computer look at
> > 192.168.0.1 which is his computer?
>
> > On a side note, anybody got any ideas why my tab key has stopped working
> > as well, I
> > know this has nothing to do with working remotely but since I'm here,
> > basically when I
> > used to press tab it would move from button to button etc, now when I
> > press it, the
> > title bar changes from blue to grey and makes all windows open inactive.
>
> > Thanks for anyone who may help. Pete
>
> Are you behind a router? If so you may need to modify the RCTICKET field
> of the invitation
> file to reflect your public IP before you send it to your friend. There is
> a Knowledge
> Base article that describes the file. Search MS for it under 'Remote
> Assistance'...

Ive looked at that and am still none the wiser, I am not behind a router, my
setup is one pc (this one) has two nics, one connected direct to the cable
modem and the other to my daughters pc. This pc shows up on whatsmyip.com as
82.blah blah.
On the rcticket it does show my ip but only after it says the 192.168 bit.
Does this help in anyway?

You can try manually editing the RCTICKET field, with Notepad for example, and take out the
192.168.0.1 IP address. Otherwise you might try disabling ICS temporarily, send another invitation
and see if it works...

How are you sending the invitation? Have you tried the Messenger method?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301529

--

> You can try manually editing the RCTICKET field, with Notepad for example,
> and take out the 192.168.0.1 IP address. Otherwise you might try disabling
> ICS temporarily, send another invitation and see if it works...
>
> How are you sending the invitation? Have you tried the Messenger method?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301529
>
> --

I have tried the messenger way but still no joy, I'll try turning off ICS
next time. One question though, if I just untick the share this connection
box, when I want to reshare will it just be a case of reticking it and all
the original settings being saved?
Pete

That's the way it should work...

--

"PeteZahut" <Me@mine.com> wrote in message news:mo0_d.5521$QN1.264@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> You can try manually editing the RCTICKET field, with Notepad for example,
>> and take out the 192.168.0.1 IP address. Otherwise you might try disabling
>> ICS temporarily, send another invitation and see if it works...
>>
>> How are you sending the invitation? Have you tried the Messenger method?
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301529
>>
>> --
>
> I have tried the messenger way but still no joy, I'll try turning off ICS
> next time. One question though, if I just untick the share this connection
> box, when I want to reshare will it just be a case of reticking it and all
> the original settings being saved?
> Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your post and appreciate Al's sharing here.

You have tried many steps before and based on the following information
from the file:

On mine it has this RCTICKET="65538,1,192.168.0.1:3389;MY
IP:3389;username:3389,

On his it says RCTICKET="65538,1,HIS IP:3389;username:3389

I think you are right that it is caused by 192.168.0.1, now the most
efficient method to isolate the issue is just as you said that trying to
turning off ICS. Also, I suggest that you can disable the shared NIC
temporarily and check the issue. Meanwhile, please don't worry about the
original settings.

If the issue persists, please help me to perform the following tests:

1. Can you perform remote assistance with your daughter's computer
successfully?

2. Can your friend's computer perform remote assistance to the other
computers?

a. Try to ping public IP on your computer and telnet
b. Using Telnet to Test Port 3389 Functionality
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;187628

Hope that helps. If you have any other questions or concerns regarding
this issue, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards

Amanda Wang [MSFT]

Microsoft Online Partner Support

"Amanda Wang [MSFT]" <v-amanwa@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Pete,
>
> Thanks for your post and appreciate Al's sharing here.
>
> You have tried many steps before and based on the following information
> from the file:
>
> On mine it has this RCTICKET="65538,1,192.168.0.1:3389;MY
> IP:3389;username:3389,
>
> On his it says RCTICKET="65538,1,HIS IP:3389;username:3389
>
> I think you are right that it is caused by 192.168.0.1, now the most
> efficient method to isolate the issue is just as you said that trying to
> turning off ICS. Also, I suggest that you can disable the shared NIC
> temporarily and check the issue. Meanwhile, please don't worry about the
> original settings.
>
> If the issue persists, please help me to perform the following tests:
>
> 1. Can you perform remote assistance with your daughter's computer
> successfully?
>
> 2. Can your friend's computer perform remote assistance to the other
> computers?
>
> a. Try to ping public IP on your computer and telnet
> b. Using Telnet to Test Port 3389 Functionality
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;187628
>
> Hope that helps. If you have any other questions or concerns regarding
> this issue, please feel free to let me know.
>
> Thanks & Regards
>
> Amanda Wang [MSFT]

Thanks for al the help so far, I will try and attempt this tonight. Will
post back with any results. Fingers crossed :)
Pete

Hi Pete,

Please feel free to let me know the result after you have tried the
suggestion. You are always welcome.

Thanks & Regards

Amanda Wang[MSFT]

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:
BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page: