Timing for Canon IR Remote Control

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
August 5, 2005 7:29:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Does anyone have the timing information for the remote commands on the
Canon S1 IS? I'd like to emulate these functions using homebuilt
hardware. In particular, I'd like to trip the shutter and
advance/reverse the slideshow.

Perhaps someone who owns this remote also has access to a storage
scope?

thanks,

Martin
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 7:41:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

umm. dude.

Thats beyond geeky.

You have uber-geek status.

I commend you, sir.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 1:29:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 5 Aug 2005 15:41:11 -0700, "wavelength" <sbrisendine@gmail.com>
wrote:

>umm. dude.
>
>Thats beyond geeky.
>
>You have uber-geek status.
>
>I commend you, sir.

LOL well, the OP request does make sense. Some people have used the
remote camera setup to capture elusive creature that roams at night
and the pack in remote controller just won't work.
August 7, 2005 2:40:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

--

"Martin" <funkychateauSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have the timing information for the remote commands on the
> Canon S1 IS? I'd like to emulate these functions using homebuilt
> hardware. In particular, I'd like to trip the shutter and
> advance/reverse the slideshow.
>
> Perhaps someone who owns this remote also has access to a storage
> scope?
> thanks,

Martin
is but a dream within a dream.
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 7:27:29 AM

Martin wrote:
> Does anyone have the timing information for the remote commands on the
> Canon S1 IS? I'd like to emulate these functions using homebuilt
> hardware. In particular, I'd like to trip the shutter and
> advance/reverse the slideshow.

Hi Martin

I think the only way you're going to find the code is to buy a remote
and capture the signal yourself.

I looked into doing the same thing a few months back. I intended to buy
a Canon remote, do the signal capture, and then return it to the shop
the next day. Unfortunately these were a special order item from all
the shops I tried. No return possible on special orders so I just gave
up and pushed the idea to the back burner.

If you manage to figure out the code please, please please publish the
info for others to use, perhaps at www.camerahacker.com.

Angus
August 9, 2005 12:42:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Thanks, I'll post there if I get the info. Doesn't sound like many
respondents here would find much use in tech data ;)

Martin
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 6:21:36 AM

Martin wrote:
> Does anyone have the timing information for the remote commands on the
> Canon S1 IS? I'd like to emulate these functions using homebuilt
> hardware. In particular, I'd like to trip the shutter and
> advance/reverse the slideshow.

Hi Martin,

I found not-so-elegent workaround on ebay. An ir remote for $5.99 plus
shipping. It works with many Canons including the S1Is, as well as some
models of Nikon, Pentax and Minolta. I just ordered two, one for use as
a conventional remote, the other to be hacked for special projects.
http://tinyurl.com/buohx

Angus
August 19, 2005 3:56:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Angus,

Have you received it yet, how well does it work?

Talk about ripoff shipping! Units are $6 each, but shipping is $7 for
first unit and $4 for each additional. They probably just toss the
additional units in the same box and collect another $4 each :(

But if it works, it's still $10 cheaper than buying the branded unit.

best regards,

Martin
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 5:49:02 AM

Martin wrote:

> Have you received it yet, how well does it work?

Yes, they arrived promptly and work as advertised. No problems
triggering the S1IS from about 4 m on a sunny day.

Plus! It can be reliably triggered by an opto-isolator, such as a 4N33,
soldered across the appropriate switch contacts, which was a very quick
and easy modification that I made to the second unit.

So now I have a motion triggered camera that I will be using to get
pictures of the various 4 legged critters that visit my garden at night.

I used a PIR motion detector (http://tinyurl.com/e3taz) and a PIC 12F675
as well as the 4N33. The PIC is used to provide a delay of roughly 10 s
to allow the flash to recharge between shots. I could also have used a
555 but I was thinking that I might want to add more 'intelligence' as I
get more experience with it. Right now the circuit is breadboarded and
is merrily snapping pictures of everyone who dares to enter my workshop.

Angus
August 29, 2005 1:30:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Sounds pretty good, I think I'll order one.

Off-topic - Have you played with the "intervalometer" function on the
S1 IS? I noticed two forms of "odd" behavior, and was wondering if it
was normal for the model:

1) The lens barrel remains extended during the "wait" period, but then
retracts fully and re-extends just before taking the shot. I believe
the manual states that the barrel "does not retract", so this seems to
be a contradiction.

2) Immediately after a long (30+ shots at 5-minute intervals)
intervalometer session, the camera did not show the files to be stored
on the card. The review mode showed only one picture (1of1, a prior
shot) to be on the camera. Only the next day, when downloading more
pictures that had been added, did I see that the intervalometer series
had "re-appeared".

Martin
!