Remote Desktop problem, by design?

March 17, 2005 1:07:03 AM

We've been looking at using the 'remote desktop' feature on our Win XP Pro
clients in all the offices for the company I work for. Is 'Remote Desktop' on
Win XP Pro like the Terminal Services you find on Windows 200x Server?

In 200x Server, you can make a connection to the server, and it does not log
the current user out, lets you work in a 'virtual machine' of sorts. But on
Win XP Pro, when you make a connection it says a message like: "the user is
currently logged on to this computer if you continue this user's windows
session will end and any un-saved data will be lost do you want to continue".
Is there any way to configure Remote Desktop so that it lets you work in the
'virtual machine' type space like in terminal services, and not log the
current user out?
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 1:12:22 AM

Nope.

That's the difference between Terminal Services and Remote Desktop.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

"cwr" <cwr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We've been looking at using the 'remote desktop' feature on our Win XP Pro
> clients in all the offices for the company I work for. Is 'Remote Desktop'
> on
> Win XP Pro like the Terminal Services you find on Windows 200x Server?
>
> In 200x Server, you can make a connection to the server, and it does not
> log
> the current user out, lets you work in a 'virtual machine' of sorts. But
> on
> Win XP Pro, when you make a connection it says a message like: "the user
> is
> currently logged on to this computer if you continue this user's windows
> session will end and any un-saved data will be lost do you want to
> continue".
> Is there any way to configure Remote Desktop so that it lets you work in
> the
> 'virtual machine' type space like in terminal services, and not log the
> current user out?
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 3:55:44 AM

Matt Gibson wrote:
> And have a completly unsupported product.
>
> Not a good idea.

Depends how you look at it... Since you can make it supported again by
copying the file back.

Functionality sometimes outweighs support - also - as many machines as I
manage - the support usually depends on me - not Microsoft.

--
<- Shenan ->
March 17, 2005 3:55:45 AM

True, but in a corporate environment, it just isn't worth the chance.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

> Matt Gibson wrote:
>> And have a completly unsupported product.
>>
>> Not a good idea.
>
> Depends how you look at it... Since you can make it supported again by
> copying the file back.
>
> Functionality sometimes outweighs support - also - as many machines as I
> manage - the support usually depends on me - not Microsoft.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

March 17, 2005 3:54:39 PM

"cwr" <cwr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We've been looking at using the 'remote desktop' feature on our Win XP Pro
> clients in all the offices for the company I work for. Is 'Remote Desktop'
> on
> Win XP Pro like the Terminal Services you find on Windows 200x Server?
>
> In 200x Server, you can make a connection to the server, and it does not
> log
> the current user out, lets you work in a 'virtual machine' of sorts. But
> on
> Win XP Pro, when you make a connection it says a message like: "the user
> is
> currently logged on to this computer if you continue this user's windows
> session will end and any un-saved data will be lost do you want to
> continue".
> Is there any way to configure Remote Desktop so that it lets you work in
> the
> 'virtual machine' type space like in terminal services, and not log the
> current user out?

Yes, it is possible:
http://www.tekfront.com/article_read.asp?id=73

Roman