Remote Desktop problem, by design?

We've been looking at using the 'remote desktop' feature on our Win XP Pro
clients in all the offices for the company I work for. Is 'Remote Desktop' on
Win XP Pro like the Terminal Services you find on Windows 200x Server?

In 200x Server, you can make a connection to the server, and it does not log
the current user out, lets you work in a 'virtual machine' of sorts. But on
Win XP Pro, when you make a connection it says a message like: "the user is
currently logged on to this computer if you continue this user's windows
session will end and any un-saved data will be lost do you want to continue".
Is there any way to configure Remote Desktop so that it lets you work in the
'virtual machine' type space like in terminal services, and not log the
current user out?
5 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop problem design

    Nope.

    That's the difference between Terminal Services and Remote Desktop.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    Matt Gibson wrote:
    > And have a completly unsupported product.
    >
    > Not a good idea.

    Depends how you look at it... Since you can make it supported again by
    copying the file back.

    Functionality sometimes outweighs support - also - as many machines as I
    manage - the support usually depends on me - not Microsoft.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    True, but in a corporate environment, it just isn't worth the chance.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    > Matt Gibson wrote:
    >> And have a completly unsupported product.
    >>
    >> Not a good idea.
    >
    > Depends how you look at it... Since you can make it supported again by
    > copying the file back.
    >
    > Functionality sometimes outweighs support - also - as many machines as I
    > manage - the support usually depends on me - not Microsoft.
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

    "cwr" <cwr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We've been looking at using the 'remote desktop' feature on our Win XP Pro
    > clients in all the offices for the company I work for. Is 'Remote Desktop'
    > on
    > Win XP Pro like the Terminal Services you find on Windows 200x Server?
    >
    > In 200x Server, you can make a connection to the server, and it does not
    > log
    > the current user out, lets you work in a 'virtual machine' of sorts. But
    > on
    > Win XP Pro, when you make a connection it says a message like: "the user
    > is
    > currently logged on to this computer if you continue this user's windows
    > session will end and any un-saved data will be lost do you want to
    > continue".
    > Is there any way to configure Remote Desktop so that it lets you work in
    > the
    > 'virtual machine' type space like in terminal services, and not log the
    > current user out?

    Yes, it is possible:
    http://www.tekfront.com/article_read.asp?id=73

    Roman

    It can be done

    visit my site www.computerboom.net

    kenny

    "cwr" <cwr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We've been looking at using the 'remote desktop' feature on our Win XP Pro
    > clients in all the offices for the company I work for. Is 'Remote Desktop'
    > on
    > Win XP Pro like the Terminal Services you find on Windows 200x Server?
    >
    > In 200x Server, you can make a connection to the server, and it does not
    > log
    > the current user out, lets you work in a 'virtual machine' of sorts. But
    > on
    > Win XP Pro, when you make a connection it says a message like: "the user
    > is
    > currently logged on to this computer if you continue this user's windows
    > session will end and any un-saved data will be lost do you want to
    > continue".
    > Is there any way to configure Remote Desktop so that it lets you work in
    > the
    > 'virtual machine' type space like in terminal services, and not log the
    > current user out?

Remote Desktop Windows XP Servers