GREGORY

I am running a small home network and have managed to log into my MCE2005 PC
on my Apple Powerbook using remote desktop. However, I have noticed that the
speed of the remote desktop is much slower on the Apple than when using
remote desktop on another PC (i.e. the screen images are updated much slower)
and the experience is therefore inferior.

Does anyone know why this is the case? Also, if I were to upgrade my home
network from 100Mbps to Gigabit LAN, would this fix the problem or is this
issue not related to the speed of the network? (I checked task manager and it
indicated I was only using 2% of availabe network bandwidth)

Thanks.

RDP uses minimal bandwidth, i.e. 26.4Kbps - 128Kbps, so you NIC isn't the
problem. I haven't used the Microsoft RDP Client for MAC, but have used Java
client's w/o problem, i.e. Hobsoft's client.

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://www.workthin.com

"Gregory" wrote:

> I am running a small home network and have managed to log into my MCE2005 PC
> on my Apple Powerbook using remote desktop. However, I have noticed that the
> speed of the remote desktop is much slower on the Apple than when using
> remote desktop on another PC (i.e. the screen images are updated much slower)
> and the experience is therefore inferior.
>
> Does anyone know why this is the case? Also, if I were to upgrade my home
> network from 100Mbps to Gigabit LAN, would this fix the problem or is this
> issue not related to the speed of the network? (I checked task manager and it
> indicated I was only using 2% of availabe network bandwidth)
>
> Thanks.

Hi

> I am running a small home network and have managed to log into my MCE2005 PC
> on my Apple Powerbook using remote desktop. However, I have noticed that the
> speed of the remote desktop is much slower on the Apple than when using
> remote desktop on another PC (i.e. the screen images are updated much slower)
> and the experience is therefore inferior.
>
> Does anyone know why this is the case? Also, if I were to upgrade my home
> network from 100Mbps to Gigabit LAN, would this fix the problem or is this
> issue not related to the speed of the network? (I checked task manager and it
> indicated I was only using 2% of availabe network bandwidth)

I have exactly the same problem - I assumed that it was either a RDC
problem or a network problem. In my case it defiantly cannot be a Mac
problem as I have a top of the line PowerMac 2.5 dual. My thinking is
that it might be a bandwidth problem as when I reduce the color depth
or use a lesser resolution (I am currently using 1600 x 1200) the
speed also gets better. Although, it might just be that RDC cannot
handle the amount of data very well....

Maybe somebody could suggest a version of VNC that works well together
(Mac and PC Server)?

I might also try and connect the 2 PC's with a crossover cable - thus
allowing me to try a giga-link without actually investing anything.

Will let you know if I find anything...

Ursus