Unable to connect using VPN

March 17, 2005 2:59:20 PM

My problem is establishing a VPN connection to my home computer from work. I
can Remote Desktop my home computer from work but I'm getting an "Error 628:
The connection was closed." when I try to establish a VPN connection. Is
there a specific outgoing port that needs to be open to establish a VPN
connection. I'm assuming that outgoing ports of our company's network is
open because I can RD my home computer from work.

My home computer is behind a netgear router and I have forwarded port 1723
to my home computer's IP address 192.168.0.4. I have setup my computer as a
VPN server (according to the instructions ...) and I have allocated the ip
addresses 192.168.0.201 - 192.168.0.205 for the incoming connections. Am I
still missing something?

My office computer is behind the corp. firewall and my ip address is as
follows:
IP address: 10.9.12.203
subnet : 255.255.0.0

I appreciate any help anybody can provide.

TIA,
Francis

More about : unable connect vpn

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 7:23:48 PM

For PPTP VPN, which I presume your trying to use, you also need to enable GRE Protocol 47 traffic
through the home router. Some manufacturers call that "PPTP Pass Through" or "VPN Pass Through" or
automagically (like the XP SP2 Windows Firewall) enable the traffic if TCP Port 1723 is open. Check
the router users manual or the manufacturers support web pages for help with that. You can also run
a test from your work PC to your home PC that may help you troubleshoot this problem. See the "VPN
Traffic" section of this page and the associated tools...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=49ae8576-9bb9-4126-9761-ba8011fabf38&displaylang=en

You might also consider using a SSH tunnel versus the PPTP VPN tunnel, if you can't get VPN to work.
You can tunnel both Remote Desktop, VNC (any flavor) or use a program like WinSCP to access files on
the home PC...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH...

Since I wrote that page I am now using the Cygwin system and its port of OpenSSH along with a
private/public key pair with a very long random pass phrase versus authentication using a strong
password...

http://cygwin.com/

Good luck...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Francis Tarcelo" <fgtarcelo@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:o BryqvyKFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> My problem is establishing a VPN connection to my home computer from work. I can Remote Desktop my
> home computer from work but I'm getting an "Error 628: The connection was closed." when I try to
> establish a VPN connection. Is there a specific outgoing port that needs to be open to establish a
> VPN connection. I'm assuming that outgoing ports of our company's network is open because I can RD
> my home computer from work.
>
> My home computer is behind a netgear router and I have forwarded port 1723 to my home computer's
> IP address 192.168.0.4. I have setup my computer as a VPN server (according to the instructions
> ...) and I have allocated the ip addresses 192.168.0.201 - 192.168.0.205 for the incoming
> connections. Am I still missing something?
>
> My office computer is behind the corp. firewall and my ip address is as follows:
> IP address: 10.9.12.203
> subnet : 255.255.0.0
>
> I appreciate any help anybody can provide.
>
> TIA,
> Francis

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 7:13:08 PM

You need to run the test detailed in the "VPN Traffic" section of the page I pointed you to. Running
the PortQry test is not going to tell you anything about GRE Protocol 47 traffic. Its not enough to
only have TCP Port 1723 open... I would contact Netgear, look at the Netgear support pages for your
router or read the users manual for help with the GRE Protocol 47 issue. If the router can not pass
GRE Protocol 47 traffic then your out of luck...

Another solution, if you can't get a VPN tunnel setup, is to use SSH. Run the OpenSSH for Windows
server on the home PC and connect with PuTTY then you can tunnel XP Pro Remote Desktop or VNC (any
flavor) through the tunnel to access/control desktops at home. All you need is TCP Port 22 open on
the home router. See this page for help with this...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH...

You can use a program like WinSCP if you simply want to access files on the home PC through the SSH
tunnel...

http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Francis Tarcelo" <fgtarcelo@verizon.net> wrote in message
Thanks for your quick response. I searched thru the router settings but there is no option to enable
or forward GRE Protocol 47 anywhere. The Port Forwarding settings only has the TCP and UDP option
for forwarding port. Can you help me further with this...

I did try the port query utility you suggested and the result says that port 1723 of my home
computer is listening when I run the utility from my office computer.

Thanks so much,
--Francis--

news:o s3x%23$zKFHA.568@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> For PPTP VPN, which I presume your trying to use, you also need to enable GRE Protocol 47 traffic
> through the home router. Some manufacturers call that "PPTP Pass Through" or "VPN Pass Through" or
> automagically (like the XP SP2 Windows Firewall) enable the traffic if TCP Port 1723 is open.
> Check
> the router users manual or the manufacturers support web pages for help with that. You can also
> run
> a test from your work PC to your home PC that may help you troubleshoot this problem. See the "VPN
> Traffic" section of this page and the associated tools...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=49ae8576-9bb9-4126-9761-ba8011fabf38&displaylang=en
>
> You might also consider using a SSH tunnel versus the PPTP VPN tunnel, if you can't get VPN to
> work.
> You can tunnel both Remote Desktop, VNC (any flavor) or use a program like WinSCP to access files
> on
> the home PC...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH...
>
> Since I wrote that page I am now using the Cygwin system and its port of OpenSSH along with a
> private/public key pair with a very long random pass phrase versus authentication using a strong
> password...
>
> http://cygwin.com/
>
> Good luck...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Francis Tarcelo" <fgtarcelo@verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:o BryqvyKFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> My problem is establishing a VPN connection to my home computer from work. I can Remote Desktop
>> my
>> home computer from work but I'm getting an "Error 628: The connection was closed." when I try to
>> establish a VPN connection. Is there a specific outgoing port that needs to be open to establish
>> VPN connection. I'm assuming that outgoing ports of our company's network is open because I can
>> RD
>> my home computer from work.
>>
>> My home computer is behind a netgear router and I have forwarded port 1723 to my home computer's
>> IP address 192.168.0.4. I have setup my computer as a VPN server (according to the instructions
>> ...) and I have allocated the ip addresses 192.168.0.201 - 192.168.0.205 for the incoming
>> connections. Am I still missing something?
>>
>> My office computer is behind the corp. firewall and my ip address is as follows:
>> IP address: 10.9.12.203
>> subnet : 255.255.0.0
>>
>> I appreciate any help anybody can provide.
>>
>> TIA,
>> Francis

March 18, 2005 7:13:09 PM

Thanks again for trying to help.

Do I need to setup the VPN server differently if I'm using SSH? Right now I
have it configured for PPTP according to the instructions I got for setting
up an XP Pro machine to be a VPN server.

Thanks,
--Francis--

> [...]
>>> was closed." when I try to
>>> establish a VPN connection. Is there a specific outgoing port that needs
>>> to be open to establish a
>>> VPN connection. I'm assuming that outgoing ports of our company's
>>> network is open because I can RD
>>> my home computer from work.
>>>
>>> My home computer is behind a netgear router and I have forwarded port
>>> 1723 to my home computer's
>>> IP address 192.168.0.4. I have setup my computer as a VPN server
>>> (according to the instructions
>>> ...) and I have allocated the ip addresses 192.168.0.201 - 192.168.0.205
>>> for the incoming
>>> connections. Am I still missing something?
>>>
>>> My office computer is behind the corp. firewall and my ip address is as
>>> follows:
>>> IP address: 10.9.12.203
>>> subnet : 255.255.0.0
>>>
>>> I appreciate any help anybody can provide.

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 8:00:57 AM

Yes...

What exactly do you want to accomplish with either a VPN or SSH tunnel to your home PC? Ie. file
access or remote control or what?

--

> Thanks again for trying to help.
>
> Do I need to setup the VPN server differently if I'm using SSH? Right now I have it configured for
> PPTP according to the instructions I got for setting up an XP Pro machine to be a VPN server.
>
> Thanks,
> --Francis--

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 2:05:31 PM

I need to access database files that is concurrently being used by my wife
who uses my home computer. I currently can run remote desktop from my office
computer to my home computer but doing this locks out my wife from using our
home computer. If I can establish a VPN connection, she can be using our
home computer and using the database files at the same time that I'm
connected from work and using the same database files.

I cannot just copy the database files over to my work computer cause she
might be doing updates to it and I need to be able to see the updates while
it's being done on our home computer. So VPN is the only way I can think of
to concurrently share data from different locations.

Thanks so much for taking the time to analyze my IT problems.

--Francis--

> Yes...
>
> What exactly do you want to accomplish with either a VPN or SSH tunnel to
your home PC? Ie. file
> access or remote control or what?
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

> "Francis Tarcelo" <fgtarcelo@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > Thanks again for trying to help.
> >
> > Do I need to setup the VPN server differently if I'm using SSH? Right
now I have it configured for
> > PPTP according to the instructions I got for setting up an XP Pro
machine to be a VPN server.

> > Thanks,
> > --Francis--

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 8:34:28 AM

Well, if you can't get a VPN from your office to home can you get a VPN from your home to your
office? Of course you may have the same issue. Did you ever run the VPN Traffic test?

You might investigate purchasing a VPN end-point type router for the home end. Others will need to
speak to that since I don't have a VPN end-point router or use VPN...

--

"FrancisTarcelo" <ftarcelo@sddpc.org> wrote in message news:o 2E5UaLLFHA.2796@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>I need to access database files that is concurrently being used by my wife
> who uses my home computer. I currently can run remote desktop from my office
> computer to my home computer but doing this locks out my wife from using our
> home computer. If I can establish a VPN connection, she can be using our
> home computer and using the database files at the same time that I'm
> connected from work and using the same database files.
>
> I cannot just copy the database files over to my work computer cause she
> might be doing updates to it and I need to be able to see the updates while
> it's being done on our home computer. So VPN is the only way I can think of
> to concurrently share data from different locations.
>
> Thanks so much for taking the time to analyze my IT problems.
>
> --Francis--
>

> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> Yes...
>>
>> What exactly do you want to accomplish with either a VPN or SSH tunnel to
> your home PC? Ie. file
>> access or remote control or what?
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>>
>> "Francis Tarcelo" <fgtarcelo@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> > Thanks again for trying to help.
>> >
>> > Do I need to setup the VPN server differently if I'm using SSH? Right
> now I have it configured for
>> > PPTP according to the instructions I got for setting up an XP Pro
> machine to be a VPN server.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > --Francis--

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 11:04:56 AM

That's the weird thing, I can connect to our corporate network from home
using VPN connection. The problem is, I don't know how our VPN server is
configured cause this is done by the network and enterprise group. All I
know is that my VPN client at home is configured to connect to an ip address
which is really a VPN Cisco 3000 series router. This makes me really think
that my router is the problem.

I'll sniff around for info on that VPN end-point type router you're
suggesting, maybe that'll work for me. Thanks so much for taking the time on
this thread.

--Francis--

!