Looking fro tips on best way to farm out DV source for 4 c..

(I searched the FAQ before posting this)

I am going to do a 4 camera edit soon and I was wondering about how to
distribute, if at all, the source files (DV captured via firewire) on my
setup
for the most efficiency.

First let me say that I never have any technical problems with my setup,
(Dell 2.4Ghz P4, 1 gig RAM, 3 internal IDE drives, 7200rpm 120's)..
and I usually have 4 streams at once coming from just one drive (not the
system drive) and there is rarely a stutter.. of course I never have a
client in the room, until this time..I also have firewire and USB 2 drives
galore and sometimes captiure to, and read from them as well, still never a
problem. This is why I have no way of judging which is the best way.....

This is why I draw upon of the pool of expertise for advice on what's the
best way to service this project because the client will be there at all
times and I'd like it to go as smoothly as possible........

Would it be better for me to split them across drives, or just allocate the
previews elsewhere, and keep the source from 1 drive?

Thanks for any and all help.,
Dave Kowalski

Nor specifically sure what you are saying. If you can do 4 streams of full
DV quality video at once then use whatever you are using to do that, though
I am not sure what that would you are using or how it works.

Clarify what you mean by "how to distribute...the DV source files". Are you
attempting to edit using these 4 streams simultaneously to choose which
camera at what point for the final edit? So far you have described your
equipment but not the NLE software you are, or want to use.

If having the 4 simultaneously on the screen and sync'd for choosing camera
views on the fly United Media Multicam is a good choice. Works with realtime
editing cards from Matrox and Canopus or with OHCI-compatible 1394. Check
out their website: http://www.unitedmediainc.com/products/

We sell it too.
--
Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions

Sorry, I should have been more specific.
Yes, I am attempting to edit using these 4 streams simultaneously to choose
which camera at what point for the final edit.

I'm using Premiere Pro 1.5, on a Dell P4 2.4 Ghz , with 3 internal IDE
drives. A rock-solid system that always works spectacularly....

Since I am operating well within the limits of my system I don't know what
would be the ideal configuration.
And, you are correct, I should continue with this scenario since it works,
but my question was just out of curiosity, since who knows what projects I
may have to take on that have even more A/V streams to deal with.

So, If I have as source materials, 4 one-hour dv files, (cameras 1-4),
what is the ideal way to have the files distributed, for instance, have 2
on each internal drive, or all 4 on one drive and the render files to
another?

Mind you, I never have problems even with all my source on one drive, so
there's no way for me to determine if there's a best way to keep the
bandwidth moving..

Thanks for replying,
Dave Kowalski
Bennett Studios
www.bennettstudios.com

"Digital Video Solutions" <video@digitalvideosolutions.com> wrote in message
> Nor specifically sure what you are saying. If you can do 4 streams of full
> DV quality video at once then use whatever you are using to do that,
> though I am not sure what that would you are using or how it works.
>
> Clarify what you mean by "how to distribute...the DV source files". Are
> you attempting to edit using these 4 streams simultaneously to choose
> which camera at what point for the final edit? So far you have described
> your equipment but not the NLE software you are, or want to use.
>
> If having the 4 simultaneously on the screen and sync'd for choosing
> camera views on the fly United Media Multicam is a good choice. Works with
> realtime editing cards from Matrox and Canopus or with OHCI-compatible
> 1394. Check out their website: http://www.unitedmediainc.com/products/
>
> We sell it too.
> --
> Larry Johnson
> Digital Video Solutions
> webmaster@digitalvideosolutions.com
> http://www.digitalvideosolutions.com
> 877-227-6281 Toll Free Sales Assistance
> 386-672-1941 Customer Service
> 386-672-1907 Technical Support
> 386-676-1515 Fax

I keep the previews in the project directory and my media on its own RAID
(not necessary) array.

I have had real problems in XP SP2 with some firewire drives that are larger
than 250GB. Mostnotably the Lacie 500GB drive.It was a nightmare until I
dropped it in favor of a SATA array in the PC itself. Haven;t had a problem
yet. But I do try to minimize the amount of preview or render stuff that
goes on the media drives and keep those with the project on a seperate 120GB
drive. I also keep titles, edits, animation and everything else but the
actual captured media in the project area

"Dave Kowalski" <daveski@optonline.net> wrote in message
> (I searched the FAQ before posting this)
>
> I am going to do a 4 camera edit soon and I was wondering about how to
> distribute, if at all, the source files (DV captured via firewire) on my
> setup
> for the most efficiency.
>
> First let me say that I never have any technical problems with my setup,
> (Dell 2.4Ghz P4, 1 gig RAM, 3 internal IDE drives, 7200rpm 120's)..
> and I usually have 4 streams at once coming from just one drive (not the
> system drive) and there is rarely a stutter.. of course I never have a
> client in the room, until this time..I also have firewire and USB 2 drives
> galore and sometimes captiure to, and read from them as well, still never
> a problem. This is why I have no way of judging which is the best
> way.....
>
> This is why I draw upon of the pool of expertise for advice on what's the
> best way to service this project because the client will be there at all
> times and I'd like it to go as smoothly as possible........
>
> Would it be better for me to split them across drives, or just allocate
> the previews elsewhere, and keep the source from 1 drive?
>
> Thanks for any and all help.,
> Dave Kowalski

Thanks, I think I'll stay with the IDE drives, as they seem the most robust.
I actually have had good results with USB 2 (had to do it out of space
considerations once) and it performed much better than firewire....

"nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message
>I keep the previews in the project directory and my media on its own RAID
>(not necessary) array.
>
> I have had real problems in XP SP2 with some firewire drives that are
> larger than 250GB. Mostnotably the Lacie 500GB drive.It was a nightmare
> until I dropped it in favor of a SATA array in the PC itself. Haven;t had
> a problem yet. But I do try to minimize the amount of preview or render
> stuff that goes on the media drives and keep those with the project on a
> seperate 120GB drive. I also keep titles, edits, animation and everything
> else but the actual captured media in the project area
>

> "Dave Kowalski" <daveski@optonline.net> wrote in message
>> (I searched the FAQ before posting this)
>>
>> I am going to do a 4 camera edit soon and I was wondering about how to
>> distribute, if at all, the source files (DV captured via firewire) on my
>> setup
>> for the most efficiency.
>>
>> First let me say that I never have any technical problems with my setup,
>> (Dell 2.4Ghz P4, 1 gig RAM, 3 internal IDE drives, 7200rpm 120's)..
>> and I usually have 4 streams at once coming from just one drive (not the
>> system drive) and there is rarely a stutter.. of course I never have a
>> client in the room, until this time..I also have firewire and USB 2
>> drives galore and sometimes captiure to, and read from them as well,
>> still never a problem. This is why I have no way of judging which is the
>> best way.....
>>
>> This is why I draw upon of the pool of expertise for advice on what's the
>> best way to service this project because the client will be there at all
>> times and I'd like it to go as smoothly as possible........
>>
>> Would it be better for me to split them across drives, or just allocate
>> the previews elsewhere, and keep the source from 1 drive?
>>
>> Thanks for any and all help.,
>> Dave Kowalski

I can't take credit for this - I believe someone here posted this link
originally (who's gonna take credit for it? :)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222

In short, upgrading to Windows XP Service Pack 2 may lower your Firewire
throughput from the stock 400MB/sec to 100MB/sec.
Fix it with the downloadable Microsoft patch at the linked page above.

The ONLY reason I can imagine this patch was needed: someone on the SP2
development team dropped the ball.
Thankfully, they've picked it up again. :)

Also note: a single "slow" firewire device may reduce the throughput of all
other devices on the bus.
None of that may have had anything to do with your firewire woes - I
understand LaCie has a poor reputation these days - but it's worth a shot.

C.

> Thanks, I think I'll stay with the IDE drives, as they seem the most
> robust. I actually have had good results with USB 2 (had to do it out of
> space considerations once) and it performed much better than firewire....
>

> "nap" <gospam@yourself.com> wrote in message
>>I keep the previews in the project directory and my media on its own RAID
>>(not necessary) array.
>>
>> I have had real problems in XP SP2 with some firewire drives that are
>> larger than 250GB. Mostnotably the Lacie 500GB drive.It was a nightmare
>> until I dropped it in favor of a SATA array in the PC itself. Haven;t had
>> a problem yet. But I do try to minimize the amount of preview or render
>> stuff that goes on the media drives and keep those with the project on a
>> seperate 120GB drive. I also keep titles, edits, animation and everything
>> else but the actual captured media in the project area
>>

>> "Dave Kowalski" <daveski@optonline.net> wrote in message
>>> (I searched the FAQ before posting this)
>>>
>>> I am going to do a 4 camera edit soon and I was wondering about how to
>>> distribute, if at all, the source files (DV captured via firewire) on my
>>> setup
>>> for the most efficiency.
>>>
>>> First let me say that I never have any technical problems with my setup,
>>> (Dell 2.4Ghz P4, 1 gig RAM, 3 internal IDE drives, 7200rpm 120's)..
>>> and I usually have 4 streams at once coming from just one drive (not
>>> the system drive) and there is rarely a stutter.. of course I never have
>>> a client in the room, until this time..I also have firewire and USB 2
>>> drives galore and sometimes captiure to, and read from them as well,
>>> still never a problem. This is why I have no way of judging which is
>>> the best way.....
>>>
>>> This is why I draw upon of the pool of expertise for advice on what's
>>> the best way to service this project because the client will be there at
>>> all times and I'd like it to go as smoothly as possible........
>>>
>>> Would it be better for me to split them across drives, or just allocate
>>> the previews elsewhere, and keep the source from 1 drive?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any and all help.,
>>> Dave Kowalski

I'm still unclear just how you are playing back 4 streams simultaneously
using Pro 1.5?

Yes.. I saw that but it only sets 1394b ports to S100 (Firewire800)