Convert from tape to DVD?

Hi Folks,

I've just started to dabble with video editing on my PC and am looking for
some pointers?

I have Pinnacle Studio 9 and a little cheap dazzle USB analogue video
capture box to plug my VCR etc into.

The problem I am having is that all my videos are way to big to fit onto a
DVD?

I had a video tape that lasted 2 hours and I used the little dazzle thing to
capture it to the pc from the VCR - all compression was done on the pc. When
i looked at the size of the 2 hour video it said it was roughly 25GB!!!!!
Bloody hell says me! Whats going on here - i told it to compress @ its a
maximum rate but not only is it a big file, its also really blocky.

I reckon i need to get a better capture box - does anyone have
recommendations (what about Pinnacle MovieBox [DV]?)

Cheers,

John B
7 answers Last reply
More about convert tape

    John wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I've just started to dabble with video editing on my PC and am
    > looking for some pointers?
    >
    > I have Pinnacle Studio 9 and a little cheap dazzle USB analogue video
    > capture box to plug my VCR etc into.
    >
    > The problem I am having is that all my videos are way to big to fit
    > onto a DVD?
    >
    > I had a video tape that lasted 2 hours and I used the little dazzle
    > thing to capture it to the pc from the VCR - all compression was done
    > on the pc. When i looked at the size of the 2 hour video it said it
    > was roughly 25GB!!!!! Bloody hell says me! Whats going on here - i
    > told it to compress @ its a maximum rate but not only is it a big
    > file, its also really blocky.
    >
    > I reckon i need to get a better capture box - does anyone have
    > recommendations (what about Pinnacle MovieBox [DV]?)
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John B

    Odds are the file is an AVI which, at approx. 13 GB/hr. is about right. The
    DVD authoring software will compress this substantially to be able to fit on
    a DVD.
    BTW, the Dazzle box has a really bad reputation as does USB transfer. If
    you're serious about it, invest in a Canopus ADVC-100 and a firewire card
    with a Texas Instrument chipset.

    Mike

    13.5 GB= 1 hour of video- this is standard.

    Getting another capture card to compress 720x480 (TV size video) would give
    you the same results.
    Compress at a smaller size (maybe for the web- 320x480) and the size of the
    video would be much smaller.

    --
    Brian

    Listen to the new podcast
    for DV creators- The DV Show!
    http://www.thedvshow.com

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, "John" <reply@newsgroup.co.uk> wrote:
    >I've just started to dabble with video editing on my PC

    General HOW TO articles, plus hardware/software reviews, at
    http://www.videohelp.com/ and
    http://www.videoguys.com/dtvhome.html

    John Thomas Smith
    http://www.direct2usales.com
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    "John" <reply@newsgroup.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I've just started to dabble with video editing on my PC and am looking for
    > some pointers?
    >
    > I have Pinnacle Studio 9 and a little cheap dazzle USB analogue video
    > capture box to plug my VCR etc into.
    >
    > The problem I am having is that all my videos are way to big to fit onto a
    > DVD?
    >
    > I had a video tape that lasted 2 hours and I used the little dazzle thing
    > to capture it to the pc from the VCR - all compression was done on the pc.
    > When i looked at the size of the 2 hour video it said it was roughly
    > 25GB!!!!! Bloody hell says me! Whats going on here - i told it to compress
    > @ its a maximum rate but not only is it a big file, its also really
    > blocky.
    >
    > I reckon i need to get a better capture box - does anyone have
    > recommendations (what about Pinnacle MovieBox [DV]?)
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John B

    Thanks for the answers guys, video capture definately does require a little
    research before starting out!

    I think i'll get a semi-decent capture box that'll do a lot of the
    compression (via hardware) for me and then transfer it via firewire to the
    pc. Hopefully this'll not only give me reduced file size but get rid of a
    lot of the artifacts i see in the video when i used the dazzle USb capture
    box.

    Thanks,

    John.

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:57:34 GMT, "John" <reply@newsgroup.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >I had a video tape that lasted 2 hours and I used the little dazzle thing to
    >capture it to the pc from the VCR - all compression was done on the pc. When
    >i looked at the size of the 2 hour video it said it was roughly 25GB!!!!!
    >Bloody hell says me! Whats going on here - i told it to compress @ its a
    >maximum rate but not only is it a big file, its also really blocky.
    >
    >I reckon i need to get a better capture box

    It may be enough with a better understanding of things involved. If
    you are capturing from VCR, and size is a concern, capture with
    352x480 resolution, which is the actual VHS resolution, and which
    shall do well on a DVD. Now, what codec are you using?

    > I think i'll get a semi-decent capture box that'll do a lot of the
    > compression (via hardware) for me and then transfer it via firewire to the
    > pc.

    Good ideas, John, but frankly, you'll be doing yourself a favour if also you
    add a separate, giant-size HD to your box, for use with DVD creation. It's a
    good investment.

    I began my DVD adventures by adding a new 300-Gig drive {and a Canopus
    ADVC-100, which by the way, works great]. And after doing only 2 one-hour
    projects (admittedly big jobs, with much wasted space for multiple drafts),
    I've used up about half of that. (I plan to clean-up and delete bad drafts,
    then archive the good files to DVDs off the HD, but this illustrates why I
    can't register any real shock at your 25 GB result.)

    So, try to get past the sticker-shock of the big file-sizes -- it's the
    price you'll pay for quality. Give yourself some breathing room, then have
    fun, and, with some guidance from the excellent resources here and elsewhere
    on the web, you will have success.

    "Bariloche" <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:57:34 GMT, "John" <reply@newsgroup.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I had a video tape that lasted 2 hours and I used the little dazzle thing
    >>capture it to the pc from the VCR - all compression was done on the pc.
    >>When
    >>i looked at the size of the 2 hour video it said it was roughly 25GB!!!!!
    >>Bloody hell says me! Whats going on here - i told it to compress @ its a
    >>maximum rate but not only is it a big file, its also really blocky.
    >>
    >>I reckon i need to get a better capture box
    >
    > It may be enough with a better understanding of things involved. If
    > you are capturing from VCR, and size is a concern, capture with
    > 352x480 resolution, which is the actual VHS resolution, and which
    > shall do well on a DVD. Now, what codec are you using?

    Hi,
    sorry but i think my original post might have been a little misleading - i
    don't use pinnacle to capture the video (as far as i can tell it doesn't
    allow USB video capture?) but instead i use MovieStar 5 (came with dazzle
    box) to capture and then pinnacle to edit it etc.

    Im not sure what codec MovieStar actually uses - on the capture page the
    only thing you can really adjust is the resolution and this was set to
    720x576! Judging by the really bad blockyness of the video i reckon it was
    certainly not a good codec whatever it was!

    Regards,

    John.

Tuner Cards DVD Video Graphics