Internet Gateway keeps disappearing from Network Connectio..

Hi,
Probably nothing, however my Internet Gateway keeps disappearing from
the Network Connections in Windows XP.

uPnP is enabled on the router and I have taken the Advertisement Period down
from 30 mins to 1 min. This doesn't make a change to it unfortunately :(

uPnP remains active as my MSN tells me that it's connected through a uPnP IP
restricted NAT.

I can make the icon re-appear in Network Connections however it disappears
after about 30 seconds - 1 min.

I'm currently running a Netgear WGR614 with beta firmware (v1.40)

Any ideas?
9 answers Last reply
More about internet gateway disappearing network connectio

    Oh, forgot to mention HOW I make it re-appear :|

    lol

    it's 12.30 am.. I'm tired

    I have to disable, then re-enable uPnP on the router.

    But as I said, the icon quickly disappears

    "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Probably nothing, however my Internet Gateway keeps disappearing from
    > the Network Connections in Windows XP.
    >
    > uPnP is enabled on the router and I have taken the Advertisement Period
    > down from 30 mins to 1 min. This doesn't make a change to it
    > unfortunately :(
    >
    > uPnP remains active as my MSN tells me that it's connected through a uPnP
    > IP restricted NAT.
    >
    > I can make the icon re-appear in Network Connections however it disappears
    > after about 30 seconds - 1 min.
    >
    > I'm currently running a Netgear WGR614 with beta firmware (v1.40)
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Ok, seems to have corrected itself..or moreso Netgear have corrected it :P

    They've just released an official software update for the WG311v2 adapter.

    If you're interested:

    http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=867

    Seems to have fixed the problem regarding the Internet Gateway disappearing
    (will report back in a few days after a few reboots)

    However, the WPA issue in XP SP2 still seems to be abundant irrespective of
    whether I use the windows config or the Netgear software :(

    > Oh, forgot to mention HOW I make it re-appear :|
    >
    > lol
    >
    > it's 12.30 am.. I'm tired
    >
    > I have to disable, then re-enable uPnP on the router.
    >
    > But as I said, the icon quickly disappears
    >
    > "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> Probably nothing, however my Internet Gateway keeps disappearing from
    >> the Network Connections in Windows XP.
    >>
    >> uPnP is enabled on the router and I have taken the Advertisement Period
    >> down from 30 mins to 1 min. This doesn't make a change to it
    >> unfortunately :(
    >>
    >> uPnP remains active as my MSN tells me that it's connected through a uPnP
    >> IP restricted NAT.
    >>
    >> I can make the icon re-appear in Network Connections however it
    >> disappears after about 30 seconds - 1 min.
    >>
    >> I'm currently running a Netgear WGR614 with beta firmware (v1.40)
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    Spoke to soon :~(

    *boohoohoo*

    I want my gateway icon to stay damnit!

    > Ok, seems to have corrected itself..or moreso Netgear have corrected it :P
    >
    > They've just released an official software update for the WG311v2 adapter.
    >
    > If you're interested:
    >
    > http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=867
    >
    > Seems to have fixed the problem regarding the Internet Gateway
    > disappearing (will report back in a few days after a few reboots)
    >
    > However, the WPA issue in XP SP2 still seems to be abundant irrespective
    > of whether I use the windows config or the Netgear software :(
    >

    > "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Oh, forgot to mention HOW I make it re-appear :|
    >>
    >> lol
    >>
    >> it's 12.30 am.. I'm tired
    >>
    >> I have to disable, then re-enable uPnP on the router.
    >>
    >> But as I said, the icon quickly disappears
    >>
    >> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>> Probably nothing, however my Internet Gateway keeps disappearing from
    >>> the Network Connections in Windows XP.
    >>>
    >>> uPnP is enabled on the router and I have taken the Advertisement Period
    >>> down from 30 mins to 1 min. This doesn't make a change to it
    >>> unfortunately :(
    >>>
    >>> uPnP remains active as my MSN tells me that it's connected through a
    >>> uPnP IP restricted NAT.
    >>>
    >>> I can make the icon re-appear in Network Connections however it
    >>> disappears after about 30 seconds - 1 min.
    >>>
    >>> I'm currently running a Netgear WGR614 with beta firmware (v1.40)
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?

    The OTHER way for me to get the icon back (much easier than having to reset
    the router) is to go to a command prompt and ipconfig /release then ipconfig
    /renew

    Pleeeease..someone has to know :P

    > Spoke to soon :~(
    >
    > *boohoohoo*
    >
    > I want my gateway icon to stay damnit!
    >
    > "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Ok, seems to have corrected itself..or moreso Netgear have corrected it
    >> :P
    >>
    >> They've just released an official software update for the WG311v2
    >> adapter.
    >>
    >> If you're interested:
    >>
    >> http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=867
    >>
    >> Seems to have fixed the problem regarding the Internet Gateway
    >> disappearing (will report back in a few days after a few reboots)
    >>
    >> However, the WPA issue in XP SP2 still seems to be abundant irrespective
    >> of whether I use the windows config or the Netgear software :(
    >>

    >> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Oh, forgot to mention HOW I make it re-appear :|
    >>>
    >>> lol
    >>>
    >>> it's 12.30 am.. I'm tired
    >>>
    >>> I have to disable, then re-enable uPnP on the router.
    >>>
    >>> But as I said, the icon quickly disappears
    >>>
    >>> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    I just put a link to the router. I have the Links toolbar in Quick Launch
    bar. Much easier than messing with the upnp settings.
    > The OTHER way for me to get the icon back (much easier than having to
    > reset the router) is to go to a command prompt and ipconfig /release then
    > ipconfig /renew
    >
    > Pleeeease..someone has to know :P
    >
    > "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Spoke to soon :~(
    >>
    >> *boohoohoo*
    >>
    >> I want my gateway icon to stay damnit!
    >>
    >> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Ok, seems to have corrected itself..or moreso Netgear have corrected it
    >>> :P
    >>>
    >>> They've just released an official software update for the WG311v2
    >>> adapter.
    >>>
    >>> If you're interested:
    >>>
    >>> http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=867
    >>>
    >>> Seems to have fixed the problem regarding the Internet Gateway
    >>> disappearing (will report back in a few days after a few reboots)
    >>>
    >>> However, the WPA issue in XP SP2 still seems to be abundant irrespective
    >>> of whether I use the windows config or the Netgear software :(
    >>>

    >>> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Elaborate please :)

    "Tanya" <thanson@NO_SPAM.net> wrote in message
    >I just put a link to the router. I have the Links toolbar in Quick Launch
    >bar. Much easier than messing with the upnp settings.
    > "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> The OTHER way for me to get the icon back (much easier than having to
    >> reset the router) is to go to a command prompt and ipconfig /release then
    >> ipconfig /renew
    >>
    >> Pleeeease..someone has to know :P
    >>
    >> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Spoke to soon :~(
    >>>
    >>> *boohoohoo*
    >>>
    >>> I want my gateway icon to stay damnit!
    >>>
    >>> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Rightclick the quicklaunch bar>toolbars>links(put a check) Then I open the
    start page for the router. I go to the run box and I type http://
    192.168.1.1 for mine. Rightclick and save in my links folder. I stick it
    right next to the system tray all my frequently visited links go there.
    > Elaborate please :)
    >

    > "Tanya" <thanson@NO_SPAM.net> wrote in message
    >>I just put a link to the router. I have the Links toolbar in Quick Launch
    >>bar. Much easier than messing with the upnp settings.
    >> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> The OTHER way for me to get the icon back (much easier than having to
    >>> reset the router) is to go to a command prompt and ipconfig /release
    >>> then ipconfig /renew
    >>>
    >>> Pleeeease..someone has to know :P
    >>>
    >>> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Oh, right right :) Already have that

    But darn it, I want my pretty little icon to stay :(

    Surely not everyone experiences this problem?

    > Rightclick the quicklaunch bar>toolbars>links(put a check) Then I open
    > the start page for the router. I go to the run box and I type http://
    > 192.168.1.1 for mine. Rightclick and save in my links folder. I stick it
    > right next to the system tray all my frequently visited links go there.
    > "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Elaborate please :)
    >>

    >> "Tanya" <thanson@NO_SPAM.net> wrote in message
    >>>I just put a link to the router. I have the Links toolbar in Quick Launch
    >>>bar. Much easier than messing with the upnp settings.
    >>> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    HAHA I have Favorg and have a pretty icon. I couldn't keep one in Network
    Places either and decided it wasn't worth trying to keep it, was nice while
    it lasted but it was only there right after a clean install.
    > Oh, right right :) Already have that
    >
    > But darn it, I want my pretty little icon to stay :(
    >
    > Surely not everyone experiences this problem?
    >

    > "Tanya" <thanson@NO_SPAM.net> wrote in message
    >> Rightclick the quicklaunch bar>toolbars>links(put a check) Then I open
    >> the start page for the router. I go to the run box and I type http://
    >> 192.168.1.1 for mine. Rightclick and save in my links folder. I stick it
    >> right next to the system tray all my frequently visited links go there.
    >> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Elaborate please :)
    >>>

    >>> "Tanya" <thanson@NO_SPAM.net> wrote in message

Gateway Internet Wireless Networking