Internet Gateway keeps disappearing from Network Connectio..

Tags:
  • Gateway
  • Internet
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 7, 2004 2:59:50 AM

Hi,
Probably nothing, however my Internet Gateway keeps disappearing from
the Network Connections in Windows XP.

uPnP is enabled on the router and I have taken the Advertisement Period down
from 30 mins to 1 min. This doesn't make a change to it unfortunately :(

uPnP remains active as my MSN tells me that it's connected through a uPnP IP
restricted NAT.

I can make the icon re-appear in Network Connections however it disappears
after about 30 seconds - 1 min.

I'm currently running a Netgear WGR614 with beta firmware (v1.40)

Any ideas?

More about : internet gateway disappearing network connectio

Anonymous
November 7, 2004 3:25:12 AM

Oh, forgot to mention HOW I make it re-appear :|

lol

it's 12.30 am.. I'm tired

I have to disable, then re-enable uPnP on the router.

But as I said, the icon quickly disappears

"Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Probably nothing, however my Internet Gateway keeps disappearing from
> the Network Connections in Windows XP.
>
> uPnP is enabled on the router and I have taken the Advertisement Period
> down from 30 mins to 1 min. This doesn't make a change to it
> unfortunately :(
>
> uPnP remains active as my MSN tells me that it's connected through a uPnP
> IP restricted NAT.
>
> I can make the icon re-appear in Network Connections however it disappears
> after about 30 seconds - 1 min.
>
> I'm currently running a Netgear WGR614 with beta firmware (v1.40)
>
> Any ideas?

Anonymous
November 7, 2004 5:53:12 AM

Ok, seems to have corrected itself..or moreso Netgear have corrected it :p

They've just released an official software update for the WG311v2 adapter.

If you're interested:

http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=...

Seems to have fixed the problem regarding the Internet Gateway disappearing
(will report back in a few days after a few reboots)

However, the WPA issue in XP SP2 still seems to be abundant irrespective of
whether I use the windows config or the Netgear software :(

"Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o j5bNQAxEHA.1192@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Oh, forgot to mention HOW I make it re-appear :|
>
> lol
>
> it's 12.30 am.. I'm tired
>
> I have to disable, then re-enable uPnP on the router.
>
> But as I said, the icon quickly disappears
>
> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> Probably nothing, however my Internet Gateway keeps disappearing from
>> the Network Connections in Windows XP.
>>
>> uPnP is enabled on the router and I have taken the Advertisement Period
>> down from 30 mins to 1 min. This doesn't make a change to it
>> unfortunately :(
>>
>> uPnP remains active as my MSN tells me that it's connected through a uPnP
>> IP restricted NAT.
>>
>> I can make the icon re-appear in Network Connections however it
>> disappears after about 30 seconds - 1 min.
>>
>> I'm currently running a Netgear WGR614 with beta firmware (v1.40)
>>
>> Any ideas?

Anonymous
November 7, 2004 6:07:30 AM

Spoke to soon :~(

*boohoohoo*

I want my gateway icon to stay damnit!

> Ok, seems to have corrected itself..or moreso Netgear have corrected it :p
>
> They've just released an official software update for the WG311v2 adapter.
>
> If you're interested:
>
> http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=...
>
> Seems to have fixed the problem regarding the Internet Gateway
> disappearing (will report back in a few days after a few reboots)
>
> However, the WPA issue in XP SP2 still seems to be abundant irrespective
> of whether I use the windows config or the Netgear software :(
>

> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o j5bNQAxEHA.1192@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Oh, forgot to mention HOW I make it re-appear :|
>>
>> lol
>>
>> it's 12.30 am.. I'm tired
>>
>> I have to disable, then re-enable uPnP on the router.
>>
>> But as I said, the icon quickly disappears
>>
>> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> Probably nothing, however my Internet Gateway keeps disappearing from
>>> the Network Connections in Windows XP.
>>>
>>> uPnP is enabled on the router and I have taken the Advertisement Period
>>> down from 30 mins to 1 min. This doesn't make a change to it
>>> unfortunately :(
>>>
>>> uPnP remains active as my MSN tells me that it's connected through a
>>> uPnP IP restricted NAT.
>>>
>>> I can make the icon re-appear in Network Connections however it
>>> disappears after about 30 seconds - 1 min.
>>>
>>> I'm currently running a Netgear WGR614 with beta firmware (v1.40)
>>>
>>> Any ideas?

Anonymous
November 7, 2004 7:07:56 AM

The OTHER way for me to get the icon back (much easier than having to reset
the router) is to go to a command prompt and ipconfig /release then ipconfig
/renew

Pleeeease..someone has to know :p

> Spoke to soon :~(
>
> *boohoohoo*
>
> I want my gateway icon to stay damnit!
>
> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ok, seems to have corrected itself..or moreso Netgear have corrected it
>> :p
>>
>> They've just released an official software update for the WG311v2
>> adapter.
>>
>> If you're interested:
>>
>> http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=...
>>
>> Seems to have fixed the problem regarding the Internet Gateway
>> disappearing (will report back in a few days after a few reboots)
>>
>> However, the WPA issue in XP SP2 still seems to be abundant irrespective
>> of whether I use the windows config or the Netgear software :(
>>

>> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:o j5bNQAxEHA.1192@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> Oh, forgot to mention HOW I make it re-appear :|
>>>
>>> lol
>>>
>>> it's 12.30 am.. I'm tired
>>>
>>> I have to disable, then re-enable uPnP on the router.
>>>
>>> But as I said, the icon quickly disappears
>>>
>>> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message

November 7, 2004 7:07:57 AM

I just put a link to the router. I have the Links toolbar in Quick Launch
bar. Much easier than messing with the upnp settings.
> The OTHER way for me to get the icon back (much easier than having to
> reset the router) is to go to a command prompt and ipconfig /release then
> ipconfig /renew
>
> Pleeeease..someone has to know :p
>
> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Spoke to soon :~(
>>
>> *boohoohoo*
>>
>> I want my gateway icon to stay damnit!
>>
>> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Ok, seems to have corrected itself..or moreso Netgear have corrected it
>>> :p
>>>
>>> They've just released an official software update for the WG311v2
>>> adapter.
>>>
>>> If you're interested:
>>>
>>> http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=...
>>>
>>> Seems to have fixed the problem regarding the Internet Gateway
>>> disappearing (will report back in a few days after a few reboots)
>>>
>>> However, the WPA issue in XP SP2 still seems to be abundant irrespective
>>> of whether I use the windows config or the Netgear software :(
>>>

>>> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o j5bNQAxEHA.1192@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
November 8, 2004 2:30:46 AM

Elaborate please :)

"Tanya" <thanson@NO_SPAM.net> wrote in message
>I just put a link to the router. I have the Links toolbar in Quick Launch
>bar. Much easier than messing with the upnp settings.
> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> The OTHER way for me to get the icon back (much easier than having to
>> reset the router) is to go to a command prompt and ipconfig /release then
>> ipconfig /renew
>>
>> Pleeeease..someone has to know :p
>>
>> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Spoke to soon :~(
>>>
>>> *boohoohoo*
>>>
>>> I want my gateway icon to stay damnit!
>>>
>>> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message

November 8, 2004 2:30:47 AM

Rightclick the quicklaunch bar>toolbars>links(put a check) Then I open the
start page for the router. I go to the run box and I type http://
192.168.1.1 for mine. Rightclick and save in my links folder. I stick it
right next to the system tray all my frequently visited links go there.
> Elaborate please :)
>

> "Tanya" <thanson@NO_SPAM.net> wrote in message
>>I just put a link to the router. I have the Links toolbar in Quick Launch
>>bar. Much easier than messing with the upnp settings.
>> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> The OTHER way for me to get the icon back (much easier than having to
>>> reset the router) is to go to a command prompt and ipconfig /release
>>> then ipconfig /renew
>>>
>>> Pleeeease..someone has to know :p
>>>
>>> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
November 8, 2004 11:29:21 PM

Oh, right right :)  Already have that

But darn it, I want my pretty little icon to stay :(

Surely not everyone experiences this problem?

> Rightclick the quicklaunch bar>toolbars>links(put a check) Then I open
> the start page for the router. I go to the run box and I type http://
> 192.168.1.1 for mine. Rightclick and save in my links folder. I stick it
> right next to the system tray all my frequently visited links go there.
> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Elaborate please :)
>>

>> "Tanya" <thanson@NO_SPAM.net> wrote in message
>>>I just put a link to the router. I have the Links toolbar in Quick Launch
>>>bar. Much easier than messing with the upnp settings.
>>> "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message

November 8, 2004 11:29:22 PM

HAHA I have Favorg and have a pretty icon. I couldn't keep one in Network
Places either and decided it wasn't worth trying to keep it, was nice while
it lasted but it was only there right after a clean install.

!