Controlling a Tablet pc w Remote Admin

Jim

Hi to the group - my first post here.

I have a tablet PC as well as desktop. What I would like is to prop my
tablet on its stand next to my monitor, and be able to use my main
desktop and mouse to control the tablet pc (sort of equivalent to a
video card outputting to 2 displays).

I have used winVNC before which allows one machine to control the mouse
and keyboard on another machine. I understand that Remote
Administration under XP can do the same thing.

However, winVNC viewer opens up a window on the viewer machine which
duplicates the screen on the server machine (understandable for remote
administration - an admin needs to be able to see what they're doing on
the remote machine- however absolutely the OPPOSITE of what I want to
be able to do...).

I want to be able to launch an app on my desktop pc that transfers
control of the mouse and kb to the tablet pc (just as winvnc does), but
that DOES NOT open another window on the desktop machine - what I want
is to maximise screen estate, without duplicating visual data.

A certain key combination should then allow me to terminate the remote
admin client and return my mouse and kb back to my desktop as normal.

It seems to me that it would be a very powerful option - not only is it
similar to a 2 display output, but more flexible still, since it *is* 2
different machines, I could literally take my tablet pc and work
elsewhere, or use the tablet to hand draw something I want to use on my
desktop pc. I find I don't use my tablet enough because I miss the
Keyboard and mouse... if I could use my desktop kb and mouse, it would
be great.

Does anyone know if this is possible using XP Remote Administration, or
does anyone know of any software that could do what I want?

Thanks for any input/suggestions.

That's exactly what Remote Desktop does (Open a session to the remote
computer).

If you Remote Control (shadow) the remote computer, the person at the
console can interact with you. If you open a Remote Desktop Session with the
remote coputer's console session, you take control of the console session,
which locks the display on the remote computer.

When connection to server OS w/ remote desktop, you can open virtually
unlimited (limited only by hardware, network b/w and licenses) sessions to a
single machine, whereas VNC & Remote Desktop to XP Pro can only connect to
the console (session 0)

http://www.workthin.com/tshta.htm

Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
http://www.workthin.com

Patrick Rouse wrote:
> That's exactly what Remote Desktop does (Open a session to the remote

> computer).

thanks Patrick. I also posted this question in the tabletpc group and
someone pointed this out to me:

http://www.tabletpcpost.com/modules.php?
op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownloaddetails&lid=3&ttitle=ShareKMC

or

http://tinyurl.com/5cfkj

To quote:

"ShareKMC is a pair of programs that enable you to control your Tablet
PC from your Notebook or Desktop over the local network (LAN). You can
also copy and paste text and small images between the two machines."

So basically I have my tablet and desktop display next to each other.
Hit Pause and control jumps to tablet, hit Pause again and control
jumps back to desktop display.

Best added bonus I have found is that it also allows copy and paste
between the 2 machines. If I want to, I can open a drawing tool on the
tablet, draw something, copy to clipboard, switch back to the desktop,
and paste that image back on the desktop. It's incredibly quick and
useful.

And ShareKMC is also free...

Would I get any advantage/other features by using xp Remote Desktop, or
am I fine just to stick with this?

Hard to say, as I've never used this program, however you can copy/paste
between Remote Desktop Host (Terminal Server) and Remote Desktop Client. You
can also redirect printers, ports, disk drives.... You switch between the
two displays via Ctrl+Alt+Pause. You can even remote yor PC across the
Internet, i.e. the computer I'm typing this message on is in a totally
different office, howerver I can run all of the programs on it as if I were
at the console.

There are lots of little remote control programs out there, and the one you
quoted may work fine.

Here are the details on Remote Desktop for Administration, the built-in
remote control program that comes w/ XP Pro:

http://www.workthin.com/tshta.htm#ConfigureAndManageRemoteDesktopForAdministration