audio editor that works like premiere?

peter

Is there an audio editor that works like premiere in the following ways:

audio clilps can be put on multiple tracks and moved around
end points of audio clips can be extended/shrunk
ripple delete
saved project does not save the audio data; only pointers to the actual
audio file
envelop can be edited

In fact, if I can disable premiere (or other video editor) from snapping
audio clips to frame boundary, it would be very useful as an audio editor
too.

rs

peter wrote:
> Is there an audio editor that works like premiere in the following ways:
>
> audio clilps can be put on multiple tracks and moved around
> end points of audio clips can be extended/shrunk
> ripple delete
> saved project does not save the audio data; only pointers to the actual
> audio file
> envelop can be edited
>
> In fact, if I can disable premiere (or other video editor) from snapping
> audio clips to frame boundary, it would be very useful as an audio editor
> too.

The audio editing and managment abilities of Vegas Video has always been
one of its strong points.

I've yet to try it but Adobe makes "Audition" software. I suspect it
integrates well with Premiere.
You might try the Adobe website to see if they have a downloadable trial
copy.

C.

"C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote in message
> I've yet to try it but Adobe makes "Audition" software. I suspect it
> integrates well with Premiere.
> You might try the Adobe website to see if they have a downloadable trial
> copy.
>
> C.

Indeed it does integrate well. Too bad the OP has missed the opportunity to
buy it as the affordable CoolEditPro -- before Adobe bought it, re-named
(and just slightly improved) it, and multiplied the price many times over.

I'm a big fan of Adobe, but I don't approve of the way they have brutally
and shamelessly gouged customers on this formerly affordable product.

Still (in answer to the question), you won't do better than the
Audition/Premiere combination. You might want to look into the freeware prog
Audacity.

Could one of you who use these advanced audio features of
editors, comment on the audio functions in the Magix Editors?
( the Video Deluxe, or Movie Edit Pro series)

They look really impressive to me, but I'm not into audio that
much. I can use Besweet, with a GUI but haven't used any of
the many audio effects available it the Magix editors.

Luck;
Ken

"Ted Kerin" <tf.kerin@gte.net> wrote in message

> "C.J.Patten" <cjpatten@KNOWSPAMrogers.com> wrote in message
>> I've yet to try it but Adobe makes "Audition" software. I suspect it
>> integrates well with Premiere.
>> You might try the Adobe website to see if they have a downloadable trial
>> copy.
>>
>> C.
>>

> Indeed it does integrate well. Too bad the OP has missed the opportunity
> buy it as the affordable CoolEditPro -- before Adobe bought it, re-named
> (and just slightly improved) it, and multiplied the price many times over.
>
> I'm a big fan of Adobe, but I don't approve of the way they have brutally
> and shamelessly gouged customers on this formerly affordable product.
>
> Still (in answer to the question), you won't do better than the
> Audition/Premiere combination. You might want to look into the freeware
> prog
> Audacity.

Hal

"peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Is there an audio editor that works like premiere in the following ways:
>
> audio clilps can be put on multiple tracks and moved around
> end points of audio clips can be extended/shrunk
> ripple delete
> saved project does not save the audio data; only pointers to the actual
> audio file
> envelop can be edited
>
> In fact, if I can disable premiere (or other video editor) from snapping
> audio clips to frame boundary, it would be very useful as an audio editor
> too.

Hi Peter,

Actually, there are quite a few that can do all of things you're asking
about. Sound Forge 8 (just released version) or Sonar are both fantastic
audio (and/or MIDI) programs. Both programs allow you to view the video
files, while your completing your editing.

If you just need an audio editor without a video view, I'd recommend that
you check out Audacity. You can download it here:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Audacity is an amazing audio editor and it's completely free. If you really
like/use it, I recommend sending them a donation, but that's totally
optional.

Good luck!

Hal Lowe
http://hals.vstoremarket.com (HaloweGraphics SuperStore)
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?key=0TmhZVQ5&formname=web_email
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/music.html (free original MP3 background
audios)
http://1and1.com/?k_id=7391019 (Best website host/great prices)

> In fact, if I can disable premiere (or other video editor) from snapping
> audio clips to frame boundary, it would be very useful as an audio editor
> too.

On the left side of your Timeline in Premier, look for a little magnet icon
that's just under the time counter. Click on it to prevent the audio tracks
from snapping in place. No need for additional s/w if that's all you want to
do.

I don't think any of the posts answered your question the way you wanted.
I know exactly what you want. I use Premiere extensively and would like a sound editor that works the same way.
Neither sound forge, audacity, nor audition work the way you want.
Audition is nice but has very different mouse/clip paradigm than does Premiere.
Altho SoundFOrge is a great program, i don't think it does multiple tracks. Version 6 doesn't.
And Audicity doesn't have the Premiere like interface.

"peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:7rf0e.12489$wL6.9117@trnddc03...
> Is there an audio editor that works like premiere in the following ways:
>
> audio clilps can be put on multiple tracks and moved around
> end points of audio clips can be extended/shrunk
> ripple delete
> saved project does not save the audio data; only pointers to the actual audio file
> envelop can be edited
>
> In fact, if I can disable premiere (or other video editor) from snapping audio clips to frame boundary, it would be very useful as
> an audio editor too.

On Wed 23 Mar 2005 11:25:56p, "Chuck U. Farley"
<chuckufarleynot@dyslexia.com> wrote:

>> In fact, if I can disable premiere (or other video editor) from
>> snapping audio clips to frame boundary, it would be very useful as an
>> audio editor too.
>
> On the left side of your Timeline in Premier, look for a little magnet
> icon that's just under the time counter. Click on it to prevent the
> audio tracks from snapping in place. No need for additional s/w if
> that's all you want to do.

In addition, with Prem Pro, you can set the time line to use audio units,
so you're not limited to video frame resolution.

peter

Thanks both of you for the tip. However, it seems that the version of
premiere I'm using (6.5) does not have those features :(

That's one very good incentive to upgrade. I just have this bad habit of
using stuff until they broke before replacing them.

"Bob Stedenko" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On Wed 23 Mar 2005 11:25:56p, "Chuck U. Farley"
> <chuckufarleynot@dyslexia.com> wrote:
>
>>> In fact, if I can disable premiere (or other video editor) from
>>> snapping audio clips to frame boundary, it would be very useful as an
>>> audio editor too.
>>
>> On the left side of your Timeline in Premier, look for a little magnet
>> icon that's just under the time counter. Click on it to prevent the
>> audio tracks from snapping in place. No need for additional s/w if
>> that's all you want to do.
>
> In addition, with Prem Pro, you can set the time line to use audio units,
> so you're not limited to video frame resolution.

> Thanks both of you for the tip. However, it seems that the version of
> premiere I'm using (6.5) does not have those features :(

Sorry, I was looking at my copy of Premier Pro. In 6.5 the icon is somewhere
else, maybe in the lower left but you can definitely toggle this feature on
and off in 6.5. Do a search in your help file for more info.

> That's one very good incentive to upgrade. I just have this bad habit of
> using stuff until they broke before replacing them.

I usually don't upgrade s/w unless there's a specific reason to, it's too
expensive. I still use Office 97 and Ghost 2003 but Premier Pro was worth
the upgrade, at least for me.

FYI: the keyboard shortcut in Premiere Pro is "S" (for "snap")

Don't know if that'll work under 6.5...

C.