Remote Desktop Connection and Linksys Router

Hi-
I have a desktop set up in my dorm room on a college campus that is
connected to the internet through a Linksys WRT54GS router. I want to
connect to this desktop from anywhere on the Internet through my laptop.
Both computers have Windows XP Pro SP2 and have RDC enabled. I know that I
can connect to the desktop since if I plug in my laptop to the router I can
just connect using the computer name or IP address. When I try over the
internet from my house however it doesn't work and I get an error saying it
cannot connect. I am sure it is something with the router. I have read a
lot on the internet about Remote Desktop and routers but I cannot seem to
get anything to work. I would REALLY appreciate any help and can supply
anymore information that you need. Thank you-
-Dan Orth
13 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop connection linksys router

    Forward port 3389 TCP to your computer behind the router.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi-
    > I have a desktop set up in my dorm room on a college campus that is
    > connected to the internet through a Linksys WRT54GS router. I want to
    > connect to this desktop from anywhere on the Internet through my laptop.
    > Both computers have Windows XP Pro SP2 and have RDC enabled. I know that
    > I can connect to the desktop since if I plug in my laptop to the router I
    > can just connect using the computer name or IP address. When I try over
    > the internet from my house however it doesn't work and I get an error
    > saying it cannot connect. I am sure it is something with the router. I
    > have read a lot on the internet about Remote Desktop and routers but I
    > cannot seem to get anything to work. I would REALLY appreciate any help
    > and can supply anymore information that you need. Thank you-
    > -Dan Orth

    Thanks for your help Matt. Am I doing this right? I went to my router
    control panel and selected Applications & Gaming and then Port Range
    Forward. I have these properties set:

    Application: RDC
    Start: 3389 to End: 3389
    Protocol: Both
    IP Address: 192.168.1.112

    The IP Address has the first 3 sections set and I can only change the 112.
    Is there anyway to figure out if this is correct? Thanks again-
    -Dan

    "Matt Gibson" <mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote in message
    > Forward port 3389 TCP to your computer behind the router.
    >
    > Matt Gibson - GSEC
    >
    > "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi-
    >> I have a desktop set up in my dorm room on a college campus that is
    >> connected to the internet through a Linksys WRT54GS router. I want to
    >> connect to this desktop from anywhere on the Internet through my laptop.
    >> Both computers have Windows XP Pro SP2 and have RDC enabled. I know that
    >> I can connect to the desktop since if I plug in my laptop to the router I
    >> can just connect using the computer name or IP address. When I try over
    >> the internet from my house however it doesn't work and I get an error
    >> saying it cannot connect. I am sure it is something with the router. I
    >> have read a lot on the internet about Remote Desktop and routers but I
    >> cannot seem to get anything to work. I would REALLY appreciate any help
    >> and can supply anymore information that you need. Thank you-
    >> -Dan Orth

    Looks like you're doing okay so far!

    On your PC, Click on Start -> Run -> Type in "CMD" -> Press Enter.

    Type in "ipconfig" -> press enter

    That'll show you your PC's IP adresss.

    Use that address in your router config, and you should be good to go.

    > Thanks for your help Matt. Am I doing this right? I went to my router
    > control panel and selected Applications & Gaming and then Port Range
    > Forward. I have these properties set:
    >
    > Application: RDC
    > Start: 3389 to End: 3389
    > Protocol: Both
    > IP Address: 192.168.1.112
    >
    > The IP Address has the first 3 sections set and I can only change the 112.
    > Is there anyway to figure out if this is correct? Thanks again-
    > -Dan
    >

    > "Matt Gibson" <mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote in message
    >> Forward port 3389 TCP to your computer behind the router.
    >>
    >> Matt Gibson - GSEC
    >>
    >> "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi-
    >>> I have a desktop set up in my dorm room on a college campus that is
    >>> connected to the internet through a Linksys WRT54GS router. I want to
    >>> connect to this desktop from anywhere on the Internet through my laptop.
    >>> Both computers have Windows XP Pro SP2 and have RDC enabled. I know
    >>> that I can connect to the desktop since if I plug in my laptop to the
    >>> router I can just connect using the computer name or IP address. When I
    >>> try over the internet from my house however it doesn't work and I get an
    >>> error saying it cannot connect. I am sure it is something with the
    >>> router. I have read a lot on the internet about Remote Desktop and
    >>> routers but I cannot seem to get anything to work. I would REALLY
    >>> appreciate any help and can supply anymore information that you need.
    >>> Thank you-
    >>> -Dan Orth

    This page may be of some help...

    Hopefully the university network does not block TCP Port 3389 inbound to your room...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:edMwbYdLFHA.2824@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Hi-
    > I have a desktop set up in my dorm room on a college campus that is
    > connected to the internet through a Linksys WRT54GS router. I want to
    > connect to this desktop from anywhere on the Internet through my laptop.
    > Both computers have Windows XP Pro SP2 and have RDC enabled. I know that I
    > can connect to the desktop since if I plug in my laptop to the router I can
    > just connect using the computer name or IP address. When I try over the
    > internet from my house however it doesn't work and I get an error saying it
    > cannot connect. I am sure it is something with the router. I have read a
    > lot on the internet about Remote Desktop and routers but I cannot seem to
    > get anything to work. I would REALLY appreciate any help and can supply
    > anymore information that you need. Thank you-
    > -Dan Orth

    Thanks guys - I got it to work fine! Just one more question, is there
    anyway to have an option to have 2 computers hooked up to the router and
    have an option of which one to connect to? Thanks again for all your help -
    I appreciate it!

    -Dan

    > This page may be of some help...
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >
    > Hopefully the university network does not block TCP Port 3389 inbound to
    > your room...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >
    > "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi-
    >> I have a desktop set up in my dorm room on a college campus that is
    >> connected to the internet through a Linksys WRT54GS router. I want to
    >> connect to this desktop from anywhere on the Internet through my laptop.
    >> Both computers have Windows XP Pro SP2 and have RDC enabled. I know that
    >> I can connect to the desktop since if I plug in my laptop to the router I
    >> can just connect using the computer name or IP address. When I try over
    >> the internet from my house however it doesn't work and I get an error
    >> saying it cannot connect. I am sure it is something with the router. I
    >> have read a lot on the internet about Remote Desktop and routers but I
    >> cannot seem to get anything to work. I would REALLY appreciate any help
    >> and can supply anymore information that you need. Thank you-
    >> -Dan Orth

    Sure...

    Via a SSH tunnel...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html

    ....or opening/forwarding multiple ports on the router...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html

    You could also setup a VPN tunnel versus a SSH tunnel...its a bit more problematic, IMHO, because of
    potential GRE Protocol 47 issues and consumer grade routers...

    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

    --

    "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uE7rcvmLFHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > Thanks guys - I got it to work fine! Just one more question, is there anyway to have an option to
    > have 2 computers hooked up to the router and have an option of which one to connect to? Thanks
    > again for all your help - I appreciate it!
    >
    > -Dan
    >

    > "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >> This page may be of some help...
    >>
    >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >>
    >> Hopefully the university network does not block TCP Port 3389 inbound to your room...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:edMwbYdLFHA.2824@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >>> Hi-
    >>> I have a desktop set up in my dorm room on a college campus that is connected to the internet
    >>> through a Linksys WRT54GS router. I want to connect to this desktop from anywhere on the
    >>> Internet through my laptop. Both computers have Windows XP Pro SP2 and have RDC enabled. I know
    >>> that I can connect to the desktop since if I plug in my laptop to the router I can just connect
    >>> using the computer name or IP address. When I try over the internet from my house however it
    >>> doesn't work and I get an error saying it cannot connect. I am sure it is something with the
    >>> router. I have read a lot on the internet about Remote Desktop and routers but I cannot seem to
    >>> get anything to work. I would REALLY appreciate any help and can supply anymore information
    >>> that you need. Thank you-
    >>> -Dan Orth

    Or assign a static IP address to that computer because your previous address
    may change when you reboot the computer. Is your internet connection a
    static IP address?

    Brian

    "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your help Matt. Am I doing this right? I went to my router
    > control panel and selected Applications & Gaming and then Port Range
    > Forward. I have these properties set:
    >
    > Application: RDC
    > Start: 3389 to End: 3389
    > Protocol: Both
    > IP Address: 192.168.1.112
    >
    > The IP Address has the first 3 sections set and I can only change the 112.
    > Is there anyway to figure out if this is correct? Thanks again-
    > -Dan
    >

    > "Matt Gibson" <mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote in message
    >> Forward port 3389 TCP to your computer behind the router.
    >>
    >> Matt Gibson - GSEC
    >>
    >> "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi-
    >>> I have a desktop set up in my dorm room on a college campus that is
    >>> connected to the internet through a Linksys WRT54GS router. I want to
    >>> connect to this desktop from anywhere on the Internet through my laptop.
    >>> Both computers have Windows XP Pro SP2 and have RDC enabled. I know
    >>> that I can connect to the desktop since if I plug in my laptop to the
    >>> router I can just connect using the computer name or IP address. When I
    >>> try over the internet from my house however it doesn't work and I get an
    >>> error saying it cannot connect. I am sure it is something with the
    >>> router. I have read a lot on the internet about Remote Desktop and
    >>> routers but I cannot seem to get anything to work. I would REALLY
    >>> appreciate any help and can supply anymore information that you need.
    >>> Thank you-
    >>> -Dan Orth

    or, using the tsweb method
    strangely, as soon as you get the webpage,
    you can typein the workgroup computer name- and it passes the session off to
    that machine
    (or through to, I don't know which)

    I was amazed the first time I tried it- it just worked,
    I could use that 'logon' page to reach any machine in the workgroup first.

    > Sure...
    >
    > Via a SSH tunnel...
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html
    >
    > ...or opening/forwarding multiple ports on the router...
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html
    >
    > You could also setup a VPN tunnel versus a SSH tunnel...its a bit more
    > problematic, IMHO, because of potential GRE Protocol 47 issues and
    > consumer grade routers...
    >
    > http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
    > http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >
    > "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks guys - I got it to work fine! Just one more question, is there
    >> anyway to have an option to have 2 computers hooked up to the router and
    >> have an option of which one to connect to? Thanks again for all your
    >> help - I appreciate it!
    >>
    >> -Dan
    >>

    >> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >>> This page may be of some help...
    >>>
    >>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >>>
    >>> Hopefully the university network does not block TCP Port 3389 inbound to
    >>> your room...
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    >>>
    >>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
    >>> benefit of all of us...
    >>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>> rights...
    >>>
    >>> "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Hi-
    Does this method work only on local networks or can I use this over the
    internet as well? Also, does the tsweb method allow me to run RDC on
    computers that don't have RDC installed and where I am not an administrator?
    I can use tsweb now to connect but I am having trouble choosing a specific
    machine to connect to. The router only has 1 IP address and I do not
    understand how I should be able to connect to more than one computer when i
    can only type in 1 address. Thanks for your help!
    -Dan

    "MDBJ" <me@no.com> wrote in message
    > or, using the tsweb method
    > strangely, as soon as you get the webpage,
    > you can typein the workgroup computer name- and it passes the session off
    > to that machine
    > (or through to, I don't know which)
    >
    > I was amazed the first time I tried it- it just worked,
    > I could use that 'logon' page to reach any machine in the workgroup first.
    >

    > "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Sure...
    >>
    >> Via a SSH tunnel...
    >>
    >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html
    >>
    >> ...or opening/forwarding multiple ports on the router...
    >>
    >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html
    >>
    >> You could also setup a VPN tunnel versus a SSH tunnel...its a bit more
    >> problematic, IMHO, because of potential GRE Protocol 47 issues and
    >> consumer grade routers...
    >>
    >> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
    >> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> benefit of all of us...
    >> rights...
    >>
    >> "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks guys - I got it to work fine! Just one more question, is there
    >>> anyway to have an option to have 2 computers hooked up to the router and
    >>> have an option of which one to connect to? Thanks again for all your
    >>> help - I appreciate it!
    >>>
    >>> -Dan
    >>>

    >>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    > Hi-
    > Does this method work only on local networks or can I use this over the
    > internet as well?

    internet as well

    Also, does the tsweb method allow me to run RDC on
    > computers that don't have RDC installed and where I am not an
    > administrator?

    Yes-er-maybe.. it does not require RDC to be installed already, it DOES
    require internet explorer
    and it DOES require activeX- if it's a system where you are NOT
    administrator- you may not
    be able to do the active X install of the client due to local security
    policy (I've seen many machines that blanket forbid
    activeX, I've also been in a webcafe where they unlocked it for me on
    request (with an explanation of my intent))

    > I can use tsweb now to connect but I am having trouble choosing a specific
    > machine to connect to. The router only has 1 IP address and I do not
    > understand how I should be able to connect to more than one computer when
    > i can only type in 1 address. Thanks for your help!

    the webpage? where it asks for the servername to connect to? I type in the
    machine name
    (from the workgtroup) and hit connect- it routes to that machine

    > "MDBJ" <me@no.com> wrote in message
    >> or, using the tsweb method
    >> strangely, as soon as you get the webpage,
    >> you can typein the workgroup computer name- and it passes the session off
    >> to that machine
    >> (or through to, I don't know which)
    >>
    >> I was amazed the first time I tried it- it just worked,
    >> I could use that 'logon' page to reach any machine in the workgroup
    >> first.
    >>

    >> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >>> Sure...
    >>>
    >>> Via a SSH tunnel...
    >>>
    >>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html
    >>>
    >>> ...or opening/forwarding multiple ports on the router...
    >>>
    >>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html
    >>>
    >>> You could also setup a VPN tunnel versus a SSH tunnel...its a bit more
    >>> problematic, IMHO, because of potential GRE Protocol 47 issues and
    >>> consumer grade routers...
    >>>
    >>> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
    >>> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    >>>
    >>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
    >>> benefit of all of us...
    >>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>> rights...
    >>>
    >>> "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Hm... maybe I am not understanding tsweb correctly. Is there a central
    webpage I can go to connect to this? Right now I just went to MS's site and
    downloaded it and installed it to my laptop to try it out but that doesn't
    really help me if I am away from my computer. I do have a shared hosting
    service (unix) for a website of mine - is there anyway I can install tsweb
    on that? That would be the best for me if that is possible. Thanks for

    > "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi-
    >> Does this method work only on local networks or can I use this over the
    >> internet as well?
    >
    > internet as well
    >
    > Also, does the tsweb method allow me to run RDC on
    >> computers that don't have RDC installed and where I am not an
    >> administrator?
    >
    > Yes-er-maybe.. it does not require RDC to be installed already, it DOES
    > require internet explorer
    > and it DOES require activeX- if it's a system where you are NOT
    > administrator- you may not
    > be able to do the active X install of the client due to local security
    > policy (I've seen many machines that blanket forbid
    > activeX, I've also been in a webcafe where they unlocked it for me on
    > request (with an explanation of my intent))
    >
    >> I can use tsweb now to connect but I am having trouble choosing a
    >> specific machine to connect to. The router only has 1 IP address and I
    >> do not understand how I should be able to connect to more than one
    >> computer when i can only type in 1 address. Thanks for your help!
    >
    > the webpage? where it asks for the servername to connect to? I type in
    > the machine name
    > (from the workgtroup) and hit connect- it routes to that machine
    >
    >> "MDBJ" <me@no.com> wrote in message
    >>> or, using the tsweb method
    >>> strangely, as soon as you get the webpage,
    >>> you can typein the workgroup computer name- and it passes the session
    >>> off to that machine
    >>> (or through to, I don't know which)
    >>>
    >>> I was amazed the first time I tried it- it just worked,
    >>> I could use that 'logon' page to reach any machine in the workgroup
    >>> first.
    >>>

    >>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    I actually got tsweb to run fine from my server. The only thing left that I
    can't figure out is how to choose which computer to connect to when I only
    have 1 ip addreess for the both of them. Is this possible?

    -Dan

    > Hm... maybe I am not understanding tsweb correctly. Is there a central
    > webpage I can go to connect to this? Right now I just went to MS's site
    > and downloaded it and installed it to my laptop to try it out but that
    > doesn't really help me if I am away from my computer. I do have a shared
    > hosting service (unix) for a website of mine - is there anyway I can
    > install tsweb on that? That would be the best for me if that is possible.
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > -Dan
    >

    > "MDBJ" <me@no.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hi-
    >>> Does this method work only on local networks or can I use this over the
    >>> internet as well?
    >>
    >> internet as well
    >>
    >> Also, does the tsweb method allow me to run RDC on
    >>> computers that don't have RDC installed and where I am not an
    >>> administrator?
    >>
    >> Yes-er-maybe.. it does not require RDC to be installed already, it DOES
    >> require internet explorer
    >> and it DOES require activeX- if it's a system where you are NOT
    >> administrator- you may not
    >> be able to do the active X install of the client due to local security
    >> policy (I've seen many machines that blanket forbid
    >> activeX, I've also been in a webcafe where they unlocked it for me on
    >> request (with an explanation of my intent))
    >>
    >>> I can use tsweb now to connect but I am having trouble choosing a
    >>> specific machine to connect to. The router only has 1 IP address and I
    >>> do not understand how I should be able to connect to more than one
    >>> computer when i can only type in 1 address. Thanks for your help!
    >>
    >> the webpage? where it asks for the servername to connect to? I type in
    >> the machine name
    >> (from the workgtroup) and hit connect- it routes to that machine
    >>
    >>> "MDBJ" <me@no.com> wrote in message

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    try this- in the 'server' box- type in the windows workgroup computer name
    or (if you know it) the
    local lan ip of the machine you want (like 192.168.1.100 or 101 for a stock
    linksys lan)

    then hit connect.

    >I actually got tsweb to run fine from my server. The only thing left that
    >I can't figure out is how to choose which computer to connect to when I
    >only have 1 ip addreess for the both of them. Is this possible?
    >
    > -Dan
    >
    > "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hm... maybe I am not understanding tsweb correctly. Is there a central
    >> webpage I can go to connect to this? Right now I just went to MS's site
    >> and downloaded it and installed it to my laptop to try it out but that
    >> doesn't really help me if I am away from my computer. I do have a shared
    >> hosting service (unix) for a website of mine - is there anyway I can
    >> install tsweb on that? That would be the best for me if that is
    >> possible. Thanks for your help!
    >>
    >> -Dan
    >>

    >> "MDBJ" <me@no.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> internet as well
    >>>
    >>> Also, does the tsweb method allow me to run RDC on
    >>>
    >>> Yes-er-maybe.. it does not require RDC to be installed already, it DOES
    >>> require internet explorer
    >>> and it DOES require activeX- if it's a system where you are NOT
    >>> administrator- you may not
    >>> be able to do the active X install of the client due to local security
    >>> policy (I've seen many machines that blanket forbid
    >>> activeX, I've also been in a webcafe where they unlocked it for me on
    >>> request (with an explanation of my intent))

    >>> the webpage? where it asks for the servername to connect to? I type in
    >>> the machine name
    >>> (from the workgtroup) and hit connect- it routes to that machine

Routers Connection Desktops Internet Windows XP