Remote Desktop Connection and Linksys Router

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi-
I have a desktop set up in my dorm room on a college campus that is
connected to the internet through a Linksys WRT54GS router. I want to
connect to this desktop from anywhere on the Internet through my laptop.
Both computers have Windows XP Pro SP2 and have RDC enabled. I know that I
can connect to the desktop since if I plug in my laptop to the router I can
just connect using the computer name or IP address. When I try over the
internet from my house however it doesn't work and I get an error saying it
cannot connect. I am sure it is something with the router. I have read a
lot on the internet about Remote Desktop and routers but I cannot seem to
get anything to work. I would REALLY appreciate any help and can supply
anymore information that you need. Thank you-
-Dan Orth

Forward port 3389 TCP to your computer behind the router.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

"Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi-
> I have a desktop set up in my dorm room on a college campus that is
> connected to the internet through a Linksys WRT54GS router. I want to
> connect to this desktop from anywhere on the Internet through my laptop.
> Both computers have Windows XP Pro SP2 and have RDC enabled. I know that
> I can connect to the desktop since if I plug in my laptop to the router I
> can just connect using the computer name or IP address. When I try over
> the internet from my house however it doesn't work and I get an error
> saying it cannot connect. I am sure it is something with the router. I
> have read a lot on the internet about Remote Desktop and routers but I
> cannot seem to get anything to work. I would REALLY appreciate any help
> and can supply anymore information that you need. Thank you-
> -Dan Orth

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for your help Matt. Am I doing this right? I went to my router
control panel and selected Applications & Gaming and then Port Range
Forward. I have these properties set:

Application: RDC
Start: 3389 to End: 3389
Protocol: Both
IP Address: 192.168.1.112

The IP Address has the first 3 sections set and I can only change the 112.
Is there anyway to figure out if this is correct? Thanks again-
-Dan

"Matt Gibson" <mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote in message
> Forward port 3389 TCP to your computer behind the router.
>
> Matt Gibson - GSEC
>
> "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi-
>> I have a desktop set up in my dorm room on a college campus that is
>> connected to the internet through a Linksys WRT54GS router. I want to
>> connect to this desktop from anywhere on the Internet through my laptop.
>> Both computers have Windows XP Pro SP2 and have RDC enabled. I know that
>> I can connect to the desktop since if I plug in my laptop to the router I
>> can just connect using the computer name or IP address. When I try over
>> the internet from my house however it doesn't work and I get an error
>> saying it cannot connect. I am sure it is something with the router. I
>> have read a lot on the internet about Remote Desktop and routers but I
>> cannot seem to get anything to work. I would REALLY appreciate any help
>> and can supply anymore information that you need. Thank you-
>> -Dan Orth

Looks like you're doing okay so far!

On your PC, Click on Start -> Run -> Type in "CMD" -> Press Enter.

Type in "ipconfig" -> press enter

That'll show you your PC's IP adresss.

Use that address in your router config, and you should be good to go.

> Thanks for your help Matt. Am I doing this right? I went to my router
> control panel and selected Applications & Gaming and then Port Range
> Forward. I have these properties set:
>
> Application: RDC
> Start: 3389 to End: 3389
> Protocol: Both
> IP Address: 192.168.1.112
>
> The IP Address has the first 3 sections set and I can only change the 112.
> Is there anyway to figure out if this is correct? Thanks again-
> -Dan
>

> "Matt Gibson" <mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote in message
>> Forward port 3389 TCP to your computer behind the router.
>>
>> Matt Gibson - GSEC
>>
>> "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi-
>>> I have a desktop set up in my dorm room on a college campus that is
>>> connected to the internet through a Linksys WRT54GS router. I want to
>>> connect to this desktop from anywhere on the Internet through my laptop.
>>> Both computers have Windows XP Pro SP2 and have RDC enabled. I know
>>> that I can connect to the desktop since if I plug in my laptop to the
>>> router I can just connect using the computer name or IP address. When I
>>> try over the internet from my house however it doesn't work and I get an
>>> error saying it cannot connect. I am sure it is something with the
>>> router. I have read a lot on the internet about Remote Desktop and
>>> routers but I cannot seem to get anything to work. I would REALLY
>>> appreciate any help and can supply anymore information that you need.
>>> Thank you-
>>> -Dan Orth

This page may be of some help...

Hopefully the university network does not block TCP Port 3389 inbound to your room...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:edMwbYdLFHA.2824@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi-
> I have a desktop set up in my dorm room on a college campus that is
> connected to the internet through a Linksys WRT54GS router. I want to
> connect to this desktop from anywhere on the Internet through my laptop.
> Both computers have Windows XP Pro SP2 and have RDC enabled. I know that I
> can connect to the desktop since if I plug in my laptop to the router I can
> just connect using the computer name or IP address. When I try over the
> internet from my house however it doesn't work and I get an error saying it
> cannot connect. I am sure it is something with the router. I have read a
> lot on the internet about Remote Desktop and routers but I cannot seem to
> get anything to work. I would REALLY appreciate any help and can supply
> anymore information that you need. Thank you-
> -Dan Orth

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks guys - I got it to work fine! Just one more question, is there
anyway to have an option to have 2 computers hooked up to the router and
have an option of which one to connect to? Thanks again for all your help -
I appreciate it!

-Dan

> This page may be of some help...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
>
> Hopefully the university network does not block TCP Port 3389 inbound to
> your room...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi-
>> I have a desktop set up in my dorm room on a college campus that is
>> connected to the internet through a Linksys WRT54GS router. I want to
>> connect to this desktop from anywhere on the Internet through my laptop.
>> Both computers have Windows XP Pro SP2 and have RDC enabled. I know that
>> I can connect to the desktop since if I plug in my laptop to the router I
>> can just connect using the computer name or IP address. When I try over
>> the internet from my house however it doesn't work and I get an error
>> saying it cannot connect. I am sure it is something with the router. I
>> have read a lot on the internet about Remote Desktop and routers but I
>> cannot seem to get anything to work. I would REALLY appreciate any help
>> and can supply anymore information that you need. Thank you-
>> -Dan Orth

Sure...

Via a SSH tunnel...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html

....or opening/forwarding multiple ports on the router...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html

You could also setup a VPN tunnel versus a SSH tunnel...its a bit more problematic, IMHO, because of
potential GRE Protocol 47 issues and consumer grade routers...

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

--

"Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uE7rcvmLFHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Thanks guys - I got it to work fine! Just one more question, is there anyway to have an option to
> have 2 computers hooked up to the router and have an option of which one to connect to? Thanks
> again for all your help - I appreciate it!
>
> -Dan
>

> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> This page may be of some help...
>>
>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
>>
>> Hopefully the university network does not block TCP Port 3389 inbound to your room...
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:edMwbYdLFHA.2824@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> Hi-
>>> I have a desktop set up in my dorm room on a college campus that is connected to the internet
>>> through a Linksys WRT54GS router. I want to connect to this desktop from anywhere on the
>>> Internet through my laptop. Both computers have Windows XP Pro SP2 and have RDC enabled. I know
>>> that I can connect to the desktop since if I plug in my laptop to the router I can just connect
>>> using the computer name or IP address. When I try over the internet from my house however it
>>> doesn't work and I get an error saying it cannot connect. I am sure it is something with the
>>> router. I have read a lot on the internet about Remote Desktop and routers but I cannot seem to
>>> get anything to work. I would REALLY appreciate any help and can supply anymore information
>>> that you need. Thank you-
>>> -Dan Orth

Or assign a static IP address to that computer because your previous address
may change when you reboot the computer. Is your internet connection a
static IP address?

Brian

"Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your help Matt. Am I doing this right? I went to my router
> control panel and selected Applications & Gaming and then Port Range
> Forward. I have these properties set:
>
> Application: RDC
> Start: 3389 to End: 3389
> Protocol: Both
> IP Address: 192.168.1.112
>
> The IP Address has the first 3 sections set and I can only change the 112.
> Is there anyway to figure out if this is correct? Thanks again-
> -Dan
>

> "Matt Gibson" <mattg@blueedgetech.ca> wrote in message
>> Forward port 3389 TCP to your computer behind the router.
>>
>> Matt Gibson - GSEC
>>
>> "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi-
>>> I have a desktop set up in my dorm room on a college campus that is
>>> connected to the internet through a Linksys WRT54GS router. I want to
>>> connect to this desktop from anywhere on the Internet through my laptop.
>>> Both computers have Windows XP Pro SP2 and have RDC enabled. I know
>>> that I can connect to the desktop since if I plug in my laptop to the
>>> router I can just connect using the computer name or IP address. When I
>>> try over the internet from my house however it doesn't work and I get an
>>> error saying it cannot connect. I am sure it is something with the
>>> router. I have read a lot on the internet about Remote Desktop and
>>> routers but I cannot seem to get anything to work. I would REALLY
>>> appreciate any help and can supply anymore information that you need.
>>> Thank you-
>>> -Dan Orth

or, using the tsweb method
strangely, as soon as you get the webpage,
you can typein the workgroup computer name- and it passes the session off to
that machine
(or through to, I don't know which)

I was amazed the first time I tried it- it just worked,
I could use that 'logon' page to reach any machine in the workgroup first.

> Sure...
>
> Via a SSH tunnel...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html
>
> ...or opening/forwarding multiple ports on the router...
>
> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html
>
> You could also setup a VPN tunnel versus a SSH tunnel...its a bit more
> problematic, IMHO, because of potential GRE Protocol 47 issues and
> consumer grade routers...
>
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks guys - I got it to work fine! Just one more question, is there
>> anyway to have an option to have 2 computers hooked up to the router and
>> have an option of which one to connect to? Thanks again for all your
>> help - I appreciate it!
>>
>> -Dan
>>

>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>>> This page may be of some help...
>>>
>>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
>>>
>>> Hopefully the university network does not block TCP Port 3389 inbound to
>>> your room...
>>>
>>> --
>>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>>
>>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
>>> benefit of all of us...
>>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>> rights...
>>>
>>> "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi-
Does this method work only on local networks or can I use this over the
internet as well? Also, does the tsweb method allow me to run RDC on
computers that don't have RDC installed and where I am not an administrator?
I can use tsweb now to connect but I am having trouble choosing a specific
machine to connect to. The router only has 1 IP address and I do not
understand how I should be able to connect to more than one computer when i
can only type in 1 address. Thanks for your help!
-Dan

> Hi-
> Does this method work only on local networks or can I use this over the
> internet as well?

internet as well

Also, does the tsweb method allow me to run RDC on
> computers that don't have RDC installed and where I am not an
> administrator?

Yes-er-maybe.. it does not require RDC to be installed already, it DOES
require internet explorer
and it DOES require activeX- if it's a system where you are NOT
administrator- you may not
be able to do the active X install of the client due to local security
policy (I've seen many machines that blanket forbid
activeX, I've also been in a webcafe where they unlocked it for me on
request (with an explanation of my intent))

> I can use tsweb now to connect but I am having trouble choosing a specific
> machine to connect to. The router only has 1 IP address and I do not
> understand how I should be able to connect to more than one computer when
> i can only type in 1 address. Thanks for your help!

the webpage? where it asks for the servername to connect to? I type in the
machine name
(from the workgtroup) and hit connect- it routes to that machine

> "MDBJ" <me@no.com> wrote in message
>> or, using the tsweb method
>> strangely, as soon as you get the webpage,
>> you can typein the workgroup computer name- and it passes the session off
>> to that machine
>> (or through to, I don't know which)
>>
>> I was amazed the first time I tried it- it just worked,
>> I could use that 'logon' page to reach any machine in the workgroup
>> first.
>>

>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Sure...
>>>
>>> Via a SSH tunnel...
>>>
>>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html
>>>
>>> ...or opening/forwarding multiple ports on the router...
>>>
>>> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html
>>>
>>> You could also setup a VPN tunnel versus a SSH tunnel...its a bit more
>>> problematic, IMHO, because of potential GRE Protocol 47 issues and
>>> consumer grade routers...
>>>
>>> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
>>> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm
>>>
>>> --
>>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>>
>>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
>>> benefit of all of us...
>>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>>> rights...
>>>
>>> "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hm... maybe I am not understanding tsweb correctly. Is there a central
webpage I can go to connect to this? Right now I just went to MS's site and
downloaded it and installed it to my laptop to try it out but that doesn't
really help me if I am away from my computer. I do have a shared hosting
service (unix) for a website of mine - is there anyway I can install tsweb
on that? That would be the best for me if that is possible. Thanks for

> "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi-
>> Does this method work only on local networks or can I use this over the
>> internet as well?
>
> internet as well
>
> Also, does the tsweb method allow me to run RDC on
>> computers that don't have RDC installed and where I am not an
>> administrator?
>
> Yes-er-maybe.. it does not require RDC to be installed already, it DOES
> require internet explorer
> and it DOES require activeX- if it's a system where you are NOT
> administrator- you may not
> be able to do the active X install of the client due to local security
> policy (I've seen many machines that blanket forbid
> activeX, I've also been in a webcafe where they unlocked it for me on
> request (with an explanation of my intent))
>
>> I can use tsweb now to connect but I am having trouble choosing a
>> specific machine to connect to. The router only has 1 IP address and I
>> do not understand how I should be able to connect to more than one
>> computer when i can only type in 1 address. Thanks for your help!
>
> the webpage? where it asks for the servername to connect to? I type in
> the machine name
> (from the workgtroup) and hit connect- it routes to that machine
>
>> "MDBJ" <me@no.com> wrote in message
>>> or, using the tsweb method
>>> strangely, as soon as you get the webpage,
>>> you can typein the workgroup computer name- and it passes the session
>>> off to that machine
>>> (or through to, I don't know which)
>>>
>>> I was amazed the first time I tried it- it just worked,
>>> I could use that 'logon' page to reach any machine in the workgroup
>>> first.
>>>

>>> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I actually got tsweb to run fine from my server. The only thing left that I
can't figure out is how to choose which computer to connect to when I only
have 1 ip addreess for the both of them. Is this possible?

-Dan

> Hm... maybe I am not understanding tsweb correctly. Is there a central
> webpage I can go to connect to this? Right now I just went to MS's site
> and downloaded it and installed it to my laptop to try it out but that
> doesn't really help me if I am away from my computer. I do have a shared
> hosting service (unix) for a website of mine - is there anyway I can
> install tsweb on that? That would be the best for me if that is possible.
> Thanks for your help!
>
> -Dan
>

> "MDBJ" <me@no.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Dan" <danorth@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi-
>>> Does this method work only on local networks or can I use this over the
>>> internet as well?
>>
>> internet as well
>>
>> Also, does the tsweb method allow me to run RDC on
>>> computers that don't have RDC installed and where I am not an
>>> administrator?
>>
>> Yes-er-maybe.. it does not require RDC to be installed already, it DOES
>> require internet explorer
>> and it DOES require activeX- if it's a system where you are NOT
>> administrator- you may not
>> be able to do the active X install of the client due to local security
>> policy (I've seen many machines that blanket forbid
>> activeX, I've also been in a webcafe where they unlocked it for me on
>> request (with an explanation of my intent))
>>
>>> I can use tsweb now to connect but I am having trouble choosing a
>>> specific machine to connect to. The router only has 1 IP address and I
>>> do not understand how I should be able to connect to more than one
>>> computer when i can only type in 1 address. Thanks for your help!
>>
>> the webpage? where it asks for the servername to connect to? I type in
>> the machine name
>> (from the workgtroup) and hit connect- it routes to that machine
>>
>>> "MDBJ" <me@no.com> wrote in message

try this- in the 'server' box- type in the windows workgroup computer name
or (if you know it) the
local lan ip of the machine you want (like 192.168.1.100 or 101 for a stock
linksys lan)

then hit connect.