Scrolling Lines on TV from Video Card

Hi everyone,

I'm testing an ATI All in Wonder on my TV. The quality overall is quite
good (I'm surprised). The only annoying feature are these thin
horizontal lines that scroll up the tv, about 8-10 inches apart from
one another. The line starts at the bottom and proceeds to the top. It
takes about 7-10 seconds for one line to make it up the screen.

Any thoughts on how to get rid of the lines?

Thanks!
CM

On a sunny day (23 Mar 2005 14:29:21 -0800) it happened "Corporate Monkey"
<corporatemonkey@gmail.com> wrote in
<1111616961.283140.127450@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I'm testing an ATI All in Wonder on my TV. The quality overall is quite
>good (I'm surprised). The only annoying feature are these thin
>horizontal lines that scroll up the tv, about 8-10 inches apart from
>one another. The line starts at the bottom and proceeds to the top. It
>takes about 7-10 seconds for one line to make it up the screen.
>
>Any thoughts on how to get rid of the lines?
>
>Thanks!
>CM
Looks like a 'hum' problem, the speed the lines move is the difference
between the V scan frequency the computer makes, and the mains frequency.
Check your video cable (shielding).
It is also possible the TV video in (circuit) is not really that good, if
you have one, test on an other TV.
Computer should be properly grounded (earth), and if possible the TV too...
Cable should not be too long.
Running an extra ground between TV and computer could also be an option.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1111619879.ec12e5432bb69ea71910802d1cdb46e5@teranews...
> On a sunny day (23 Mar 2005 14:29:21 -0800) it happened "Corporate Monkey"
> <corporatemonkey@gmail.com> wrote in
> <1111616961.283140.127450@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>:
>
> >Hi everyone,
> >
> >I'm testing an ATI All in Wonder on my TV. The quality overall is quite
> >good (I'm surprised). The only annoying feature are these thin
> >horizontal lines that scroll up the tv, about 8-10 inches apart from
> >one another. The line starts at the bottom and proceeds to the top. It
> >takes about 7-10 seconds for one line to make it up the screen.
> >
> >Any thoughts on how to get rid of the lines?
> >
> >Thanks!
> >CM
> Looks like a 'hum' problem, the speed the lines move is the difference
> between the V scan frequency the computer makes, and the mains frequency.
> Check your video cable (shielding).
> It is also possible the TV video in (circuit) is not really that good, if
> you have one, test on an other TV.
> Computer should be properly grounded (earth), and if possible the TV too...
> Cable should not be too long.
> Running an extra ground between TV and computer could also be an option.

This problem can also occur if your outside cable doesn't have
a common ground with your computer equipment (very few cable
systems are grounded locally). Try disconnecting your cable and
I bet you don't get the same scrolling lines with e.g. a DVD or
VHS source.

Thanks for the feedback. However, can you explain what I need to do in
more detail...novice here. What is meant by grounding. My outlets are
all "grounded", is this what you mean? If not, can you explain?

Thanks!
CM

Rick wrote:
> "Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > On a sunny day (23 Mar 2005 14:29:21 -0800) it happened "Corporate
Monkey"
> > <corporatemonkey@gmail.com> wrote in
> > <1111616961.283140.127450@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>:
> >
> > >Hi everyone,
> > >
> > >I'm testing an ATI All in Wonder on my TV. The quality overall is
quite
> > >good (I'm surprised). The only annoying feature are these thin
> > >horizontal lines that scroll up the tv, about 8-10 inches apart
from
> > >one another. The line starts at the bottom and proceeds to the
top. It
> > >takes about 7-10 seconds for one line to make it up the screen.
> > >
> > >Any thoughts on how to get rid of the lines?
> > >
> > >Thanks!
> > >CM
> > Looks like a 'hum' problem, the speed the lines move is the
difference
> > between the V scan frequency the computer makes, and the mains
frequency.
> > Check your video cable (shielding).
> > It is also possible the TV video in (circuit) is not really that
good, if
> > you have one, test on an other TV.
> > Computer should be properly grounded (earth), and if possible the
TV too...
> > Cable should not be too long.
> > Running an extra ground between TV and computer could also be an
option.

> This problem can also occur if your outside cable doesn't have
> a common ground with your computer equipment (very few cable
> systems are grounded locally). Try disconnecting your cable and
> I bet you don't get the same scrolling lines with e.g. a DVD or
> VHS source.

Just some other background on my horizontal scrolling lines issue.

The RCA IN jack on my TV is probably fine as I plugged my VCR and DVD
in it and it worked great, no lines. The lines only appear when I
connect it through my ATI video card.

Thanks again. And let me know what you mean by grounding. I plan on
buying good, shielded video cables tomorrow.

CM

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"Corporate Monkey" <corporatemonkey@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1111658168.810777.156150@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Thanks for the feedback. However, can you explain what I need to do in
> more detail...novice here. What is meant by grounding. My outlets are
> all "grounded", is this what you mean?

No.

> If not, can you explain?

In a nutshell:

If the cable from your cable TV company is running directly to your
computer, disconnect it. Then play a direct video source, such as a
DVD player on your computer, or a DVD player or VCR connected
to the input of your video card, out to your TV. Do you still get the
scrolling lines? If so, the problem is relatively easy to fix. Just make
sure your computer and TV are plugged into the same outlet, or at
least different outlets that have the same source of ground.

If the line is no longer there, then the problem is your cable company's
cable, and is more complicated to fix. You or your cable company
will need to install a RF (radio frequency) isolation transformer at the
cable connection to get rid of it.

> Rick wrote:
> > "Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > On a sunny day (23 Mar 2005 14:29:21 -0800) it happened "Corporate
> Monkey"
> > > <corporatemonkey@gmail.com> wrote in

> quite
> from
> top. It

> > > Looks like a 'hum' problem, the speed the lines move is the
> difference
> > > between the V scan frequency the computer makes, and the mains
> frequency.
> > > Check your video cable (shielding).
> > > It is also possible the TV video in (circuit) is not really that
> good, if
> > > you have one, test on an other TV.
> > > Computer should be properly grounded (earth), and if possible the
> TV too...
> > > Cable should not be too long.
> > > Running an extra ground between TV and computer could also be an
> option.
> >
> > This problem can also occur if your outside cable doesn't have
> > a common ground with your computer equipment (very few cable
> > systems are grounded locally). Try disconnecting your cable and
> > I bet you don't get the same scrolling lines with e.g. a DVD or
> > VHS source.

Ok..I fixed it. I was browsing around the net and someone had the same
exact issue as me. Though plugged into different wall outlets, were
still on the same wall. I got a grounded, outdoor extension cord and
plugged the PC into an outlet in another room to see what would happen.

VIOLA!

The lines disappeared. So if anyone else is googling this, first try
plugging your PC into a wall outlet in a different room or a different
wall in the same room. Then go from there.

Thanks to those who helped!
CM

Corporate Monkey wrote:
> Ok..I fixed it. I was browsing around the net and someone had the
same
> exact issue as me. Though plugged into different wall outlets, were
> still on the same wall. I got a grounded, outdoor extension cord and
> plugged the PC into an outlet in another room to see what would
happen.

> VIOLA!
>
> The lines disappeared. So if anyone else is googling this, first try
> plugging your PC into a wall outlet in a different room or a
different
> wall in the same room. Then go from there.
>
> Thanks to those who helped!
> CM
>
> Rick wrote:
> > "Corporate Monkey" <corporatemonkey@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks for the feedback. However, can you explain what I need to
do
> in
> > > more detail...novice here. What is meant by grounding. My outlets
> are
> > > all "grounded", is this what you mean?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > > If not, can you explain?
> >
> > In a nutshell:
> >
> > If the cable from your cable TV company is running directly to your
> > computer, disconnect it. Then play a direct video source, such as
> > DVD player on your computer, or a DVD player or VCR connected
> > to the input of your video card, out to your TV. Do you still get
> the
> > scrolling lines? If so, the problem is relatively easy to fix.
Just
> make
> > sure your computer and TV are plugged into the same outlet, or at
> > least different outlets that have the same source of ground.
> >
> > If the line is no longer there, then the problem is your cable
> company's
> > cable, and is more complicated to fix. You or your cable company
> > will need to install a RF (radio frequency) isolation transformer
at
> the
> > cable connection to get rid of it.

> "Corporate
> > > Monkey"

> is
> > > quite
> apart
> > > from
> > > top. It
> screen.

> > > difference
> > > frequency.
> that
> > > good, if
> the
> > > TV too...
> an
> > > option.

just a thought, it may be worth buying an outlet tester and check that
your grounded outlets are actually grounded.

You can buy one of these things most places for less than $10.

They will show if ground is ok and if the other wires are reversed.

I have found it helps to ensure that both units are working on the same
phase.

On 24 Mar 2005 03:50:07 -0800, "Corporate Monkey"
<corporatemonkey@gmail.com> wrote:

>Ok..I fixed it. I was browsing around the net and someone had the same
>exact issue as me. Though plugged into different wall outlets, were
>still on the same wall. I got a grounded, outdoor extension cord and
>plugged the PC into an outlet in another room to see what would happen.
>
>VIOLA!
>
>The lines disappeared. So if anyone else is googling this, first try
>plugging your PC into a wall outlet in a different room or a different
>wall in the same room. Then go from there.
>
>Thanks to those who helped!
>CM
>
>Rick wrote:
>> "Corporate Monkey" <corporatemonkey@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for the feedback. However, can you explain what I need to do
>in
>> > more detail...novice here. What is meant by grounding. My outlets
>are
>> > all "grounded", is this what you mean?
>>
>> No.
>>
>> > If not, can you explain?
>>
>> In a nutshell:
>>
>> If the cable from your cable TV company is running directly to your
>> computer, disconnect it. Then play a direct video source, such as a
>> DVD player on your computer, or a DVD player or VCR connected
>> to the input of your video card, out to your TV. Do you still get
>the
>> scrolling lines? If so, the problem is relatively easy to fix. Just
>make
>> sure your computer and TV are plugged into the same outlet, or at
>> least different outlets that have the same source of ground.
>>
>> If the line is no longer there, then the problem is your cable
>company's
>> cable, and is more complicated to fix. You or your cable company
>> will need to install a RF (radio frequency) isolation transformer at
>the
>> cable connection to get rid of it.

>"Corporate
>> > Monkey"

>is
>> > quite
>apart
>> > from
>> > top. It
>screen.

>> > difference
>> > frequency.
>that
>> > good, if
>the
>> > TV too...
>an
>> > option.

If your using cable TV, take a look
http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/vrd1ff.pdf

"JimK" <1alpha@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 24 Mar 2005 03:50:07 -0800, "Corporate Monkey"
> <corporatemonkey@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Ok..I fixed it. I was browsing around the net and someone had the same
>>exact issue as me. Though plugged into different wall outlets, were
>>still on the same wall. I got a grounded, outdoor extension cord and
>>plugged the PC into an outlet in another room to see what would
>>happen.
>>
>>VIOLA!
>>
>>The lines disappeared. So if anyone else is googling this, first try
>>plugging your PC into a wall outlet in a different room or a different
>>wall in the same room. Then go from there.

What you described as "scrolling lines" are called "hum bars"
in the industry. You implemented the most common solution,
resolving the ground loop problem.