rename computer now Remote access won't connect

After re-naming a computer that previously worked with remote access, now I
get a cannot find computer using the new name. Whats happened?

Ray
4 answers Last reply
More about rename computer remote access connect

    Is this on your local LAN? Can you call the PC by its IP? Your talking about using Remote Desktop,
    correct?

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Ray Joslyn" <ray@work> wrote in message news:%23iNNjoiLFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > After re-naming a computer that previously worked with remote access, now I get a cannot find
    > computer using the new name. Whats happened?
    >
    > Ray

    It won't work through the local LAN or over the internet. It does work over
    the LAN if you put in the IP. This is remote desktop sorry.

    Ray

    > Is this on your local LAN? Can you call the PC by its IP? Your talking
    > about using Remote Desktop, correct?
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >
    > "Ray Joslyn" <ray@work> wrote in message
    >> After re-naming a computer that previously worked with remote access, now
    >> I get a cannot find computer using the new name. Whats happened?
    >>
    >> Ray

    Do you have NetBIOS enabled over TCP/IP on the PC?

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot/netbt.htm

    Have you enabled the XP SP2 firewall recently? If so, do you have File & Print Sharing enabled in
    the firewall Exceptions tab?

    --

    "Ray Joslyn" <ray@work> wrote in message news:OtDWngjLFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > It won't work through the local LAN or over the internet. It does work over the LAN if you put in
    > the IP. This is remote desktop sorry.
    >
    > Ray
    >
    > "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Is this on your local LAN? Can you call the PC by its IP? Your talking about using Remote
    >> Desktop, correct?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> "Ray Joslyn" <ray@work> wrote in message news:%23iNNjoiLFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    >>> After re-naming a computer that previously worked with remote access, now I get a cannot find
    >>> computer using the new name. Whats happened?
    >>>
    >>> Ray

    It seemed to have been a problem with dns name resolution between the old
    machine that we replaced (that had the same name as the new machine now).
    Anyways after deleting forward and reverse lookup data for the computer
    name, I then did a ipconfig /registerdns and a ipconfig /renew and it is
    working now.

    Ray

    > Do you have NetBIOS enabled over TCP/IP on the PC?
    >
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot/netbt.htm
    >
    > Have you enabled the XP SP2 firewall recently? If so, do you have File &
    > Print Sharing enabled in the firewall Exceptions tab?
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >
    > "Ray Joslyn" <ray@work> wrote in message
    >> It won't work through the local LAN or over the internet. It does work
    >> over the LAN if you put in the IP. This is remote desktop sorry.
    >>
    >> Ray
    >>
    >> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >>> Is this on your local LAN? Can you call the PC by its IP? Your talking
    >>> about using Remote Desktop, correct?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    >>>
    >>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
    >>> benefit of all of us...
    >>> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>> rights...
    >>>
    >>> "Ray Joslyn" <ray@work> wrote in message

Remote Access Connection Computers Windows XP