Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

rename computer now Remote access won't connect

Tags:
  • Remote Access
  • Connection
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
March 21, 2005 12:24:54 PM

After re-naming a computer that previously worked with remote access, now I
get a cannot find computer using the new name. Whats happened?

Ray

More about : rename computer remote access connect

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 1:09:41 PM

Is this on your local LAN? Can you call the PC by its IP? Your talking about using Remote Desktop,
correct?

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Ray Joslyn" <ray@work> wrote in message news:%23iNNjoiLFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> After re-naming a computer that previously worked with remote access, now I get a cannot find
> computer using the new name. Whats happened?
>
> Ray

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 2:05:14 PM

It won't work through the local LAN or over the internet. It does work over
the LAN if you put in the IP. This is remote desktop sorry.

Ray

news:o otDlBjLFHA.3844@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Is this on your local LAN? Can you call the PC by its IP? Your talking
> about using Remote Desktop, correct?
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "Ray Joslyn" <ray@work> wrote in message
>> After re-naming a computer that previously worked with remote access, now
>> I get a cannot find computer using the new name. Whats happened?
>>
>> Ray

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 5:47:47 PM

Do you have NetBIOS enabled over TCP/IP on the PC?

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoo...

Have you enabled the XP SP2 firewall recently? If so, do you have File & Print Sharing enabled in
the firewall Exceptions tab?

--

"Ray Joslyn" <ray@work> wrote in message news:o tDWngjLFHA.3184@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> It won't work through the local LAN or over the internet. It does work over the LAN if you put in
> the IP. This is remote desktop sorry.
>
> Ray
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> news:o otDlBjLFHA.3844@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> Is this on your local LAN? Can you call the PC by its IP? Your talking about using Remote
>> Desktop, correct?
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>> "Ray Joslyn" <ray@work> wrote in message news:%23iNNjoiLFHA.688@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> After re-naming a computer that previously worked with remote access, now I get a cannot find
>>> computer using the new name. Whats happened?
>>>
>>> Ray

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 3:22:30 PM

It seemed to have been a problem with dns name resolution between the old
machine that we replaced (that had the same name as the new machine now).
Anyways after deleting forward and reverse lookup data for the computer
name, I then did a ipconfig /registerdns and a ipconfig /renew and it is
working now.

Ray