Kodak DC3400 Cable Pinouts?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 10, 2005 2:29:11 PM

Looking for cable pinouts for the cable used for above camera (same
cable also apparently used forKodak DC:20, 40, 120, 240, 280, 5000
cameras and Vivtar3500, and others.

Cable has male MiniDIN8 on one end, female DB-9 on the other end.

I have 5 sets of pinouts fromthe Net, each with a conflicting pinout
description. (Some don't even know where Pin #1 is on the MiniDin8 !)
I have tried them all, but none seem to work with my Compaq Evo Laptop
and docking station ( my laptop has no serial port without dock).

If anyone has this cable, and a meter, could you please tone-out the
pinouts, and let me know the truth? I have lost my cable. And yes, if
you have pinouts for a USB cable instead, that would be a lovely
alternative!

Perhaps Kodak should consider how many people they frustrate when they
don't publish this info, and force people to overpay for something
that should be simple. My bet is that only 3 signals are required
(Rxd, Txd, Gnd). They have my hundreds for the camera. They got my $25
for the second cable. Now they want more money from me. Great American
customer "service"!

Thanks a bunch!

PS: http://pinouts.ru/pin_DevicesCables.shtml is a good reference for
getting the pin numbers correct. But, they have 2 different sets of
pinouts and neither work!
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 8:20:44 PM

"Not One For Names" <not14names@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Looking for cable pinouts for the cable used for above camera (same
> cable also apparently used forKodak DC:20, 40, 120, 240, 280, 5000
> cameras and Vivtar3500, and others.
>
> Cable has male MiniDIN8 on one end, female DB-9 on the other end.
>
> I have 5 sets of pinouts fromthe Net, each with a conflicting pinout
> description. (Some don't even know where Pin #1 is on the MiniDin8 !)
> I have tried them all, but none seem to work with my Compaq Evo Laptop
> and docking station ( my laptop has no serial port without dock).
>
> If anyone has this cable, and a meter, could you please tone-out the
> pinouts, and let me know the truth? I have lost my cable. And yes, if
> you have pinouts for a USB cable instead, that would be a lovely
> alternative!
>
> Perhaps Kodak should consider how many people they frustrate when they
> don't publish this info, and force people to overpay for something
> that should be simple. My bet is that only 3 signals are required
> (Rxd, Txd, Gnd). They have my hundreds for the camera. They got my $25
> for the second cable. Now they want more money from me. Great American
> customer "service"!
>
> Thanks a bunch!
>
> PS: http://pinouts.ru/pin_DevicesCables.shtml is a good reference for
> getting the pin numbers correct. But, they have 2 different sets of
> pinouts and neither work!

Maybe it is not the cable pinouts that are wrong, maybe you have a problem
with the settings for your serial port.

Serial does not work if the BAUD rate and bit depth does not agree.

You did not say what OS your are using, Some OS works better with Serial
than others.
Some systems require a fixed Baud rate to work.

Read your Kodak camera manual to see what the baud rate and number of bits
the camera expects and set your Com port to the same settings. Something
like 9600 baud, 8 bits and one stop bit.
Make sure you do not have a IRQ conflict on the Com port.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Greetings,

Sorry you are having trouble getting the pin information that you need. I
am glad to help.

On the cable for connecting a Kodak DC digital camera to a computer:

- Pin 2 is the tip (the pointed end)
- Pin 3 is the middle ring
- Pin 5 is the top ring (near the plastic).

Other than this, due to the discontinued status of all DC model cameras
using serial connection, cable pin-out information is no longer available.

I have no other data, but will ask some of the engineers I know to see if
they can help further.

Talk to you soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Not One For Names" <not14names@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Looking for cable pinouts for the cable used for above camera (same
> cable also apparently used forKodak DC:20, 40, 120, 240, 280, 5000
> cameras and Vivtar3500, and others.
>
> Cable has male MiniDIN8 on one end, female DB-9 on the other end.
>
> I have 5 sets of pinouts fromthe Net, each with a conflicting pinout
> description. (Some don't even know where Pin #1 is on the MiniDin8 !)
> I have tried them all, but none seem to work with my Compaq Evo Laptop
> and docking station ( my laptop has no serial port without dock).
>
> If anyone has this cable, and a meter, could you please tone-out the
> pinouts, and let me know the truth? I have lost my cable. And yes, if
> you have pinouts for a USB cable instead, that would be a lovely
> alternative!
>
> Perhaps Kodak should consider how many people they frustrate when they
> don't publish this info, and force people to overpay for something
> that should be simple. My bet is that only 3 signals are required
> (Rxd, Txd, Gnd). They have my hundreds for the camera. They got my $25
> for the second cable. Now they want more money from me. Great American
> customer "service"!
>
> Thanks a bunch!
>
> PS: http://pinouts.ru/pin_DevicesCables.shtml is a good reference for
> getting the pin numbers correct. But, they have 2 different sets of
> pinouts and neither work!
August 11, 2005 8:09:05 PM

Hi CSM1,

Good point. Let me add to your reference to serial port information if you
are using XP.

To enable WIA for your serial camera:

1. Choose Start ® Settings ® Control Panel and then double-click the Scanner
and Cameras icon.
2. In the Scanner and Cameras window, double-click Add Device.
3. In the Scanner and Camera Installation Wizard window, click Next.
4. In the Manufacturers pane, select Kodak.
5. From the Scanner and Camera Models list, select the appropriate camera
model (for example, for the DC200 or DC200+ camera, select Kodak DC200
Digital Camera) and then click Next.
6. Select the communication port to use with the camera and then click Next.
7. Type a name for the camera or leave the default name and then click Next.
8. Click Finish. A camera icon is placed in the Scanner and Camera control
panel window and in the My Computer window.
9. To start communicating with the camera using WIA software, do the
following:
· Use the Kodak-provided serial cable to connect the camera to your computer
and then turn on the camera.
· Turn the Mode dial to Connect.
· In the My Computer window, double-click the camera

Since you do not have a cable, try visiting eBay, or the like to see if you
can find one. Once you do try the above to connect and get your pictures.

Also, since you have a relatively new laptop, do you have a PCMCIA slot in
it? If not you have a USB connection. I suggest that you invest your money
in a card reader so you can take any picture you like and simply remove the
card and slip it into your card reader. The images are simple JPG files that
you can do with as you will. This is a much better alternative than trying
to connect the camera to your docking station or laptop.

Talk to you soon, let me know if this helps.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

> > Looking for cable pinouts for the cable used for above camera (same
> > cable also apparently used forKodak DC:20, 40, 120, 240, 280, 5000
> > cameras and Vivtar3500, and others.
> >
> > Cable has male MiniDIN8 on one end, female DB-9 on the other end.
> >
> > I have 5 sets of pinouts fromthe Net, each with a conflicting pinout
> > description. (Some don't even know where Pin #1 is on the MiniDin8 !)
> > I have tried them all, but none seem to work with my Compaq Evo Laptop
> > and docking station ( my laptop has no serial port without dock).
> >
> > If anyone has this cable, and a meter, could you please tone-out the
> > pinouts, and let me know the truth? I have lost my cable. And yes, if
> > you have pinouts for a USB cable instead, that would be a lovely
> > alternative!
> >
> > Perhaps Kodak should consider how many people they frustrate when they
> > don't publish this info, and force people to overpay for something
> > that should be simple. My bet is that only 3 signals are required
> > (Rxd, Txd, Gnd). They have my hundreds for the camera. They got my $25
> > for the second cable. Now they want more money from me. Great American
> > customer "service"!
> >
> > Thanks a bunch!

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 9:11:32 PM

Ronald Baird, are you sure?
To OP says he has a MinDIN 8 on the camera.
You are talking about a 1/8 inch (3mm) stereo Mini phone plug.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
"Ronald Baird" <ronbaird@kodak.com> wrote in message
news:D dfov2$d1j$1@news.kodak.com...
> Greetings,
>
> Sorry you are having trouble getting the pin information that you need. I
> am glad to help.
>
> On the cable for connecting a Kodak DC digital camera to a computer:
>
> - Pin 2 is the tip (the pointed end)
> - Pin 3 is the middle ring
> - Pin 5 is the top ring (near the plastic).
>
> Other than this, due to the discontinued status of all DC model cameras
> using serial connection, cable pin-out information is no longer available.
>
> I have no other data, but will ask some of the engineers I know to see if
> they can help further.
>
> Talk to you soon.
>
> Ron Baird
> Eastman Kodak Company
>

> "Not One For Names" <not14names@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Looking for cable pinouts for the cable used for above camera (same
>> cable also apparently used forKodak DC:20, 40, 120, 240, 280, 5000
>> cameras and Vivtar3500, and others.
>>
>> Cable has male MiniDIN8 on one end, female DB-9 on the other end.
>>
>> I have 5 sets of pinouts fromthe Net, each with a conflicting pinout
>> description. (Some don't even know where Pin #1 is on the MiniDin8 !)
>> I have tried them all, but none seem to work with my Compaq Evo Laptop
>> and docking station ( my laptop has no serial port without dock).
>>
>> If anyone has this cable, and a meter, could you please tone-out the
>> pinouts, and let me know the truth? I have lost my cable. And yes, if
>> you have pinouts for a USB cable instead, that would be a lovely
>> alternative!
>>
>> Perhaps Kodak should consider how many people they frustrate when they
>> don't publish this info, and force people to overpay for something
>> that should be simple. My bet is that only 3 signals are required
>> (Rxd, Txd, Gnd). They have my hundreds for the camera. They got my $25
>> for the second cable. Now they want more money from me. Great American
>> customer "service"!
>>
>> Thanks a bunch!
>>
>> PS: http://pinouts.ru/pin_DevicesCables.shtml is a good reference for
>> getting the pin numbers correct. But, they have 2 different sets of
>> pinouts and neither work!

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 5:51:00 PM

Hi Not for Names,

If you write to me directly I may be able to help further. But, I believe
the DC3400 camera came with a 9 pin cable. To connect the camera you would
therefore need totry the following as shown in the manual.
1.. Plug the appropriate end of the serial cable into an available 9-pin
serial port on the computer.
* Serial ports are usually labeled COM1 and COM2, or A and B. If your
computer has a 25-pin port, you need to use a 9-pin adapter (available at
your local computer store) and attach it to the port before attaching the
serial cable to the computer.
* If the ports are not labeled, see your computer User's Guide for a
diagram that illustrates all of the external ports.
2.. Open the serial/USB port door on the side of the camera.
3.. Plug the other end of the serial cable into the camera serial port.
4.. Slide the POWER switch to the right to turn on the camera.
5.. If you get a message on your computer stating that you are not
connected, refer to the Serial .PDF document installed with the software, or
the online help for troubleshooting information.
If you had a Mac computer, which I forgot about, then you have a different
connection. In that case,
1.. Set the Mode dial to Connect.
2.. Connect the serial port adapter plug into the 9-pin end of the serial
cable.
3.. Plug the adapter end of the serial cable into an available serial port
on the back of the computer.
4.. If your camera came with a serial cable for a Macintosh computer
instead of the serial adapter plug, connect the end of the serial cable
labeled MAC into the available serial port on the back of the computer.
5.. Serial ports on Macintosh computers are usually referred to as modem
or printer ports.
6.. If the ports are not labeled, see your computer User's Guide for a
diagram that illustrates all of the external ports.
7.. Open the serial/USB port door on the side of the camera.

8.. Plug the other end of the serial cable into the camera serial port.

9.. Slide the POWER switch to the right to turn on the camera.

I look forward to talking to you, see you soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

!