I Need a tutorial

Can anyone recommend a TUTORIAL for a NEWBIE who has one PC on a cable modem
and wireless router, plus two PC's on wireless cards, that WILL NOT NETWORK.
They all connect to the internet OK but the network wizard won't get them to
"talk" to each other, share files and my two printers. HELP.

tanya

Don't use the network wizard
http://forums.practicallynetworked.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=833
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm These should
get you started.
"***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend a TUTORIAL for a NEWBIE who has one PC on a cable
> modem
> and wireless router, plus two PC's on wireless cards, that WILL NOT
> NETWORK.
> They all connect to the internet OK but the network wizard won't get them
> "talk" to each other, share files and my two printers. HELP.

steveb

Distinguished
May 11, 2003

I am having the same problem. Let me know if anyone has the figured out what
needs to be done. I have read all the documentation and nothing seems to
work.

"***TominFL***" wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a TUTORIAL for a NEWBIE who has one PC on a cable modem
> and wireless router, plus two PC's on wireless cards, that WILL NOT NETWORK.
> They all connect to the internet OK but the network wizard won't get them to
> "talk" to each other, share files and my two printers. HELP.

Jim

First make sure that you have enables the hard drives to share, and make
sure that your SSID or network name is the same on all your computers.
Disable all firewalls and give it a try. I have found that Nortons firewall
will not allow me to access the other computers, so I temporarily disable it
access the other computers then re enable it and I am ok until I reboot.
The Win XP SP2 firewall should always be disabled, it has caused nothing but
trouble for networks since it came out.
"***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend a TUTORIAL for a NEWBIE who has one PC on a cable
> modem
> and wireless router, plus two PC's on wireless cards, that WILL NOT
> NETWORK.
> They all connect to the internet OK but the network wizard won't get them
> "talk" to each other, share files and my two printers. HELP.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"***TominFL***" <TominFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend a TUTORIAL for a NEWBIE who has one PC on a cable
modem
> and wireless router, plus two PC's on wireless cards, that WILL NOT
NETWORK.
> They all connect to the internet OK but the network wizard won't get them
> "talk" to each other, share files and my two printers. HELP.

All the above as well.
I get into "my network places" one day and not another for absolutlly no
apparent reason. So I don't bother anymore.
So what I do instead is just right click on it and choose 'Search for
computers', then I type the computer I want, i.e. the name of the computer,
and it opens that way.
If you want to access a particular folder often then you can map it which is
like adding another drive into "My computer". Again right click on 'My
network places' and also create a shortcut on your desktop for it. That
doesn't always work. But the Search method never fails.