dual monitor or widescreen for NLE?

I'm pretty new to NLE - only done some basic stuff with Windows
MovieMaker so far. I plan to spend much more time (and money) on this
new hobby starting this summer. I'll probably upgrade to a more
functional NLE app - either Premiere or Avid.

My current 19" CRT is on its last leg. I'd like to replace it with an
LCD, but can't figure out if I want to get a single widescreen LCD
(23/24") or dual 4:3 monitors (19/20").

If cost were not a factor, which would be preferable for NLE? What if
cost *were* a factor (assume widescreen is more $$$, as that's what my
research has shown for the setup I'd get).

Since I don't have a lot of experience with NLE, I appreciate the
advice of those that have experience with this - especially those that
have worked with both these setups.

tia,
MI

"Mr. Incredible" wrote ...
> If cost were not a factor, which would be preferable for NLE?

Likely a wide-screen LCD.

> What if cost *were* a factor (assume widescreen is more $$$,
> as that's what my research has shown for the setup I'd get)

A sidebar in the current PC Magazine comes to the same
conclusion: A pair of 17" monitors display significantly
more pixels and cost substantially less than a single 19"

>Do your homework on those wide LCD's - some are much better than
others.
Guess I should have said this before. I'm looking primarily at the
Dell Ultrasharp line of LCDs. These seem to get rave reviews with
little negative feedback. And while I said to assume cost was not a
factor, alas, it is. The 2405FPW (24" widescreen) is running about
$1000 right now, and that's pretty near the top end of my budget. I
could swing another $400 for dual 2001FP (20"), but that's about it.
In other words, it's one setup or another - dual widescreens are out.

MI

> "Mr. Incredible" wrote ...
>> If cost were not a factor, which would be preferable for NLE?
>
> Likely a wide-screen LCD.
>
>> What if cost *were* a factor (assume widescreen is more $$$, as that's
>> what my research has shown for the setup I'd get)
>
> A sidebar in the current PC Magazine comes to the same
> conclusion: A pair of 17" monitors display significantly
> more pixels and cost substantially less than a single 19"

And 19" are going for about $350 now on sale....two of these work nicely
with a NLE such as Canopus Edius and appropriate hardware.

"Alpha" <logos1@trip.net> wrote in message

> "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
>> "Mr. Incredible" wrote ...
>>> If cost were not a factor, which would be preferable for NLE?
>>
>> Likely a wide-screen LCD.
>>
>>> What if cost *were* a factor (assume widescreen is more $$$, as that's
>>> what my research has shown for the setup I'd get)
>>
>> A sidebar in the current PC Magazine comes to the same
>> conclusion: A pair of 17" monitors display significantly
>> more pixels and cost substantially less than a single 19"
>
> And 19" are going for about $350 now on sale....two of these work nicely
> with a NLE such as Canopus Edius and appropriate hardware.

FYI viz:

http://www.buy.com/prod/Acer_19_Flat_Panel_Display_Monitor_500_1_Black/q/loc/384/10379356.html

Cost no object of course. Dual 23" widescreen LCD's and an NTSC CRT for
previewing the output. ;)

Do your homework on those wide LCD's - some are much better than others.

C.

"Mr. Incredible" <SenorIncredible@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm pretty new to NLE - only done some basic stuff with Windows
> MovieMaker so far. I plan to spend much more time (and money) on this
> new hobby starting this summer. I'll probably upgrade to a more
> functional NLE app - either Premiere or Avid.
>
> My current 19" CRT is on its last leg. I'd like to replace it with an
> LCD, but can't figure out if I want to get a single widescreen LCD
> (23/24") or dual 4:3 monitors (19/20").
>
> If cost were not a factor, which would be preferable for NLE? What if
> cost *were* a factor (assume widescreen is more $$$, as that's what my
> research has shown for the setup I'd get).
>
> Since I don't have a lot of experience with NLE, I appreciate the
> advice of those that have experience with this - especially those that
> have worked with both these setups.
>
> tia,
> MI

rs

Mr. Incredible wrote:
> I'm pretty new to NLE - only done some basic stuff with Windows
> MovieMaker so far. I plan to spend much more time (and money) on this
> new hobby starting this summer. I'll probably upgrade to a more
> functional NLE app - either Premiere or Avid.
>
> My current 19" CRT is on its last leg. I'd like to replace it with an
> LCD, but can't figure out if I want to get a single widescreen LCD
> (23/24") or dual 4:3 monitors (19/20").
>
> If cost were not a factor, which would be preferable for NLE? What if
> cost *were* a factor (assume widescreen is more $$$, as that's what my
> research has shown for the setup I'd get).
>
> Since I don't have a lot of experience with NLE, I appreciate the
> advice of those that have experience with this - especially those that
> have worked with both these setups.
>
> tia,
> MI

Dual monitors are really quite handy. You get more real estate for the
dollar. Myself, I find it confusing to stretch my timeline across two
monitors, so I use one for the timeline and drag and drop undocable
windows, like the trimmer for example, over to the second monitor. I
also find it very very handy when doing tutorials and digging into help
files. I have have the doc open on one screen and actually do what the
doc is telling me to do on the other.